OT: Vancouver realtor facing criminal charges and life time ban from beer league for kicking an opponent on the face with his skates

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This was being talked about a lot in my teams WhatsApp group. Anger issues like this is one of the reasons we tried to go to the over 30 div this year.

I have played a lot of rec hockey. I find in general, for some reason the lower level you play has the more hot heads with anger issues. It’s become cliche, but we always say we have to work tomorrow…

This is so true. The ASHL was exactly the League for adults who wants to play a safe and friendly league game without the fear of actually getting hurt. Surprised that happened in that league.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's wild how many guys will chirp you for wearing a cage considering the lifelong damage and high financial cost a facial injury can cause you.

Yeah it sure would be sweet and tough of me to lose half of my teeth because some guy with a crazy curve who doesn't know how to shoot roofs it into my mouth. Real badge of honour.

Shit, the worst I ever had for that was my own teammate. He once high sticked me three times in the same freaking game because he had no idea how to control his stick. I pride myself on being even keeled, but I threatened to shove the stick somewhere uncomfortable if he didn’t get a handle on it.

Never understood the stigma against guys wearing cages, or neck guards for that matter. My wife was always adamant I wear a neck guard and I always did. Didn’t stop the chirps. “Who do you think you are, Tomas Plekanec?”

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That shit was terrifying to watch, but not surprising. If you ever play or attend beer league games, these dudes have genuine anger problems. A lot of the time, it seems to be fueled by substances prior to playing.. but it's definitely not exclusive to that and seems to be a cultural problem as well.

Yeah.

I lived in NZ for several years and got back into playing hockey when I was there - probably to stay connected to my Canadian-ness - and it was awesome. Played on a non-contact, co-ed team where we'd rent a 14-person bus and go to weekend tournaments in various cities around the South Island and it was such a positive experience. Really nice people, great fun. Things would occasionally get mildly heated but mostly everything was good-natured and no fighting or goon crap. Often have beers with the other teams after the game plus being a passenger in a car and drinking over there is legal so we'd get smashed and have a blast on the drive home. A couple of the girls on our team played for the NZ women's national team and were actually pretty decent players. It was a super supportive environment with people who really liked hockey and were there to have fun and get better. I loved every minute of it and losing it was one of my biggest regrets when I left.

Move back to Canada and try to keep playing here and it's like WTF. Teams full of douchebag cokeheads living their personal rock'em sock'em video. 40 year olds acting like high-school bullies. I ended up quitting after a guy on my team trashed our dressing room after a fight and then we had to restrain him from going and attacking the other guy in the parking lot after. Not fun.

Shit, the worst I ever had for that was my own teammate. He once high sticked me three times in the same freaking game because he had no idea how to control his stick. I pride myself on being even keeled, but I threatened to shove the stick somewhere uncomfortable if he didn’t get a handle on it.

Never understood the stigma against guys wearing cages, or neck guards for that matter. My wife was always adamant I wear a neck guard and I always did. Didn’t stop the chirps. “Who do you think you are, Tomas Plekanec?”

I took a slapshot to the throat when I was about 14 playing minor hockey and even though I was wearing a neck guard it was absolutely terrifying. Plus the Clint Malarchuk thing from when I was a kid still haunts my dreams. I'd never ever play without one.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Maybe they weren't too concerned about the guy because he wasn't kicked in the face? One of the players in the game said he was kicked in the arm. If you look at the replay a few times, it looks like his skate is below head level, and it looks like he does in fact kick him in the arm. At least on the replay in the op it looks that way.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I've watched it like 15 times and still don't see where the skate came close to the victim's face...? I don't know if it's an optical illusion or what, but it really looks like he hit his hip or arm. (It looks to me like the guy had already taken an injury to the face before the kick happened). Obviously he shouldn't be kicking his skate blades around to begin with, but I don't think it's quite as bad as the thread title suggests?

In any event, @MS's story really drives home the extent to which "fighting is a part of hockey" is a total self-fulfilling prophecy and the second you get away from Canadian hockey dudes it ceases to be obvious. As a rule I hate culture-based arguments, but the point I often make here – find the common thread: Gridiron football? No fighting. Rugby? No fighting. European hockey? No fighting. U.S. college hockey? No fighting. U.S. lacrosse? No fighting.

Canadian junior hockey? Fighting. Canadian pro hockey? Fighting. Canadian lacrosse? Fighting.

The only reason this garbage happens is because we've come up with this circular justification of how it's inherent to the game, even though no one else seems to have that problem. And what a shock that morons exploit that loophole to act out.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I've watched it like 15 times and still don't see where the skate came close to the victim's face...? I don't know if it's an optical illusion or what, but it really looks like he hit his hip or arm. (It looks to me like the guy had already taken an injury to the face before the kick happened). Obviously he shouldn't be kicking his skate blades around to begin with, but I don't think it's quite as bad as the thread title suggests?

In any event, @MS's story really drives home the extent to which "fighting is a part of hockey" is a total self-fulfilling prophecy and the second you get away from Canadian hockey dudes it ceases to be obvious. As a rule I hate culture-based arguments, but the point I often make here – find the common thread: Gridiron football? No fighting. Rugby? No fighting. European hockey? No fighting. U.S. college hockey? No fighting. U.S. lacrosse? No fighting.

Canadian junior hockey? Fighting. Canadian pro hockey? Fighting. Canadian lacrosse? Fighting.

The only reason this garbage happens is because we've come up with this circular justification of how it's inherent to the game, even though no one else seems to have that problem. And what a shock that morons exploit that loophole to act out.
It’s kinda funny that it wasn’t that long ago I was playing lacrosse and could fight three times in one game before getting tossed.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

An angry Mr. C would scare me.

Honestly the only reason I don't wear a neck guard is because I don't play enough ice to necessitate it, or any ice. Cue sweatpants joke. Seriously though, we don't make millions of dollars. Getting hurt like that at the rink is not worth it. Bring the chirps for me, at least I'm not a rube.
-----
I'm fine with fighting in the professional game, I understand little skirmishes here and there, but like fighting in rec league? How is that at all enjoyable? I also don't get guys who play hard and go out of their way to make contact, but don't you dare do the same to them or you'll hear about it. Like, shut up and play the game. You just sound like a whining bitch who can dish it out but not take it. For some reason 90% of these guys have at least 4" on me and think they sound tough but are really just the whiny kids on the playground.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

There used to be a little more fighting in rugby (union/league) back in the 80s. Still, even then it was rarer, fights were noticed because they were not common. Pretty much stamped out at a professional level now, it happens just rarely.

Don Cherry and co with their hyper macho fighting/toughness poisoned a lot of young minds between the 70s and 90s. Even today the commentators are still reciting crap from when it was drilled into they as kids listing to these guys in the 80s and 90s. Now it's passed down by parents and coaches who were kids then. Maybe one day.

Reactions: MS

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Totally agree. I switched to a cage years ago. It is totally true you can't see as well. I do find my vision, and teeth more important though then being slightly better at a rec sport...
Well then don’t fight. Kid had a full cage what a loser. I’ve been kicked in the neck w a skate before

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This is so true. The ASHL was exactly the League for adults who wants to play a safe and friendly league game without the fear of actually getting hurt. Surprised that happened in that league.
You obviously haven’t played in the ASHL

Reactions: mossey3535

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Obviously depends on if the targeted player was injured or not. Just like in the NHL.

If the player was just cut and bleeding, I would say a game and a small fine.

If something more serious, then hell hath no fury like that of the association responsible for penalties!

/s

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Looks like Gee-Moore attempted to use BJJ moves in a hockey fight and predictably endangered his opponent with his skate blades.

Stupid of both of them to be in that position in the first place. Lifetime ban well-deserved.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

North America is just a different world sometimes. Played soccer in Europe for a bit and it was not uncommon to drink a few beers after matches without issues. High Schools had a zero tolerance policy for any physical altercations. Here...you are always bound to see unnecessary fights and drunken arguments. We tolerate too much of this bullshit and play it off as "boys be boys."

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well then don’t fight. Kid had a full cage what a loser. I’ve been kicked in the neck w a skate before

Its not just about being hit in the face with a punch. Pucks being tipped, or sticks flying around. Its honestly just not worth the trouble.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hope his license gets revoked and charges pressed.

That’s f***ed to do with a shoe or bare foot let alone skate.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I have the impression that regulation over realtors is pretty lax. That realtor that forged a signature got a 3 month suspension.

Reactions: timw33

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

There shouldn't be stigma for wearing a cage. But I commonly see guys with cages initiating altercations. They (some not all) are just a little braver than they need to be.
I've played with and without a cage even recently. I just can't get used to the cage. Now I just wear a visor.
When I play goal I'll wear a neck guard. As a 15 year old at my first junior tryout a veteran wired a puck from the hashmarks that hit me in the neck. Scared the crap out of me. I've worn a neck guard ever since.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think this guy should never see a beer league game again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Not that it matters, but I don't see the skate come close to the face. It seems to hit the arm or maybe the arm pit. Maybe others have a different angle. Again, it doesn't matter it terms of consequences for the offender. There is no way anyone should attempt to use their skate as a weapon and I know for sure that anyone who did would not be welcomed back on the team I play for.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Yeah.

I lived in NZ for several years and got back into playing hockey when I was there - probably to stay connected to my Canadian-ness - and it was awesome. Played on a non-contact, co-ed team where we'd rent a 14-person bus and go to weekend tournaments in various cities around the South Island and it was such a positive experience. Really nice people, great fun. Things would occasionally get mildly heated but mostly everything was good-natured and no fighting or goon crap. Often have beers with the other teams after the game plus being a passenger in a car and drinking over there is legal so we'd get smashed and have a blast on the drive home. A couple of the girls on our team played for the NZ women's national team and were actually pretty decent players. It was a super supportive environment with people who really liked hockey and were there to have fun and get better. I loved every minute of it and losing it was one of my biggest regrets when I left.

Move back to Canada and try to keep playing here and it's like WTF. Teams full of douchebag cokeheads living their personal rock'em sock'em video. 40 year olds acting like high-school bullies. I ended up quitting after a guy on my team trashed our dressing room after a fight and then we had to restrain him from going and attacking the other guy in the parking lot after. Not fun.

I took a slapshot to the throat when I was about 14 playing minor hockey and even though I was wearing a neck guard it was absolutely terrifying. Plus the Clint Malarchuk thing from when I was a kid still haunts my dreams. I'd never ever play without one.

Was your time in NZ work-based, @MS ? I fell in love with the country a few years back and always wanted to spend an extended amount of time there, but never was sure about the best way to go about it.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
This guy plays in a pretty low division and according to his ASHL profile carries very high PIMs every season. Good riddance and hope he's banned for life.

I've been playing beer league for a good 15 years now and to be honest I think a lot of the silly aggressive stuff has toned down a lot over the last several years. Maybe it's the teams I've played with, but I generally feel there are less skirmishes and also that the overall skill has improved. I almost think the focus on speed and skill has filtered down from the NHL over the last decade.

Either that or I'm getting old and everyone is better than me.

That being said, things still happen. Leagues are getting tougher on the problem and nowadays rinks are fitted with cameras that help nail down what happened. League fees constantly going up also means it's expensive to get suspended for multiple games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00