Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
What I miss most are the guests/insiders from TSN. I really enjoyed the segments with Ferraro, Bob McKenzie, JPat, Harman Dayal, etc

Hockey has gone downhill in terms of coverage. I remember highlights getting replayed all thr time with the Don Taylor show.

Francesco is just blind. Doesn’t know he is destroying the market by keeping Dimbo employed. First time I’m starting to tune out.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The market is worse off without 1040.
That may be true but some of their shows had lost contact with sports fans.
I mean rally do I care about Oprah?
Color of my socks.
What Moj ate for dinner?

I would tune out some shows just because they made no sense, not that sports is news, real meaningful as in life news.

But still the laughing all the time of inane subjects.

Vancouver needs another INDEPENDANT sports show or station.
One where there is at least the appearance and subject content of independence, not another media outlet that is trying to apologize to the fans for a bad team or constantly blaming the players and asking how they will fix the team.

Geez, in these days of all this "mental health" stuff and the media rides the players about "what will yo do", "What is the room like"?, "What is the problem", they ask these questions to the players and what do they expect?
Same with Green, he has the players he has, he has limited ice time for practice like Torts did and he is being raked over the coals like Torts was although Green doesn't have a healthy team and Torts had the top 4 players miss a lot of games.

When the media FINALLY start to looking to the architect of the team, the expert that was hired to create this mess and took 7 years to guarantee another 3 years of employment if the owners are still intimidated from the last media purge to let him destroy the franchise further.

Well the city need a counter to the Koomby ya station that is actually owned by a sponsor.

Maybe some of those other stations will consider hiring or contracting out for some shows.

Reactions: m9

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Apparently gaslighting is the new truth.

Sports is supposed to be pure entertainment. Media coverage is simply an extension of that entertainment. Follow the dollars and you’ll get the answer to why we have what we have in terms of media coverage.

It ain’t pretty but it’s here to stay.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Anyone else notice today during “reach deep” on 650, coming back from a break, they played an instrumental only version of “Halftime” by Nas, which of course was the Halford and Brough intro music. Probably nothing. Just felt weird.

Reactions: geebaan

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I miss H&B

Yeah me too. I thought they might be the two to get scooped up by 650 or bounce back the quickest into something but they aren't even that active on twitter. I get taking the time to reevaluate though.
With what Rob Fai is doing on youtube or Paterson and Drance with the Vancast I'd like to see them make a guest appearance somewhere.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so we all know imac is a shill for the team, but am i alone in thinking he has taken it to new levels recently and wondering why? he sounds more and more like a team spokesman or pr flack the way he presents on sportsnet games now, with a canned "look on the bright side" prepared take for every segment. he particularly seems to be more willing to drop info. he pronounced the virtanen trade dead, and also referenced talking to "another gm" when explaining the trade market. that is not his way historically. he would say something very conditionally and avoid citing sources to disguise how much access he had: "e.g. i am hearing the virtanen trade may be dead" vs. "the virtanen trade is dead".

so i am wondering if the nhl or teams are now either paying these guys to shill for them, or have pushed sportsnet to go rahrah in every market. tv ratings are now critically important.

Reactions: VibinCanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
so we all know imac is a shill for the team, but am i alone in thinking he has taken it to new levels recently and wondering why? he sounds more and more like a team spokesman or pr flack the way he presents on sportsnet games now, with a canned "look on the bright side" prepared take for every segment. he particularly seems to be more willing to drop info. he pronounced the virtanen trade dead, and also referenced talking to "another gm" when explaining the trade market. that is not his way historically. he would say something very conditionally and avoid citing sources to disguise how much access he had: "e.g. i am hearing the virtanen trade may be dead" vs. "the virtanen trade is dead".

so i am wondering if the nhl or teams are now either paying these guys to shill for them, or have pushed sportsnet to go rahrah in every market. tv ratings are now critically important.

With Aquilini & Benning not doing media, maybe they've just essentially outsourced themselves through IMac. Or maybe IMac knows there are a ton of local media out of jobs so he's doubling down on the shill to protect himself.

Reactions: infinitemile

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I honestly feel he's always been like this?

He's basically been a team PR shill for 5+ years.

Yesterday's job was 'prepare fans for failure at the trade deadline' and the annual 'distract fans from the fact that the season is already over by hyping prospects for next year'.

Reactions: I am toxic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
s

It may simply be IMac understanding the new reality of the current NHL marketplace. It's not business as usual for the NHL teams right now.

Sports reporting is a niche industry. Only so many opportunties around. Where will the 1040 people land? Remember, that Winnipeg and Hamilton also lost their stations, so these people are also looking for another opportunty. Even if these people displace the SN650 people that means that there are still people looking for work. I recently heard Jon Jang on another station doing the graveyard timeslot for the "Shift" program.

I would be doing the same thing to keep making a living. IMac is 55, so he's still got some years to go before he retires. Also left the newsprint industry years ago.

As for the TDL, Canucks would need to move early if they are trading with US based teams due to the border and their players having to quaratine for 10-14 days when they arrive in the US. If they are waiting until April 12, the Canucks would have like 14 games left in the season at that point so if other teams are like that, then they only get that rental for the final 6/7 games of the season. So decisions about whether they can or can't make the playoffs need to be made before April begins.

Reactions: Dab

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I honestly feel he's always been like this?

He's basically been a team PR shill for 5+ years.

Yesterday's job was 'prepare fans for failure at the trade deadline' and the annual 'distract fans from the fact that the season is already over by hyping prospects for next year'.

i agree he has always been like this, but he has taken more pains to hide it. previously you had to read between the lines a little and he tried to maintain plausible deniability. i think his sportsnet segments this year have increasingly dropped the pretence. he sounds like aquaman's lawyer now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
With Aquilini & Benning not doing media, maybe they've just essentially outsourced themselves through IMac. Or maybe IMac knows there are a ton of local media out of jobs so he's doubling down on the shill to protect himself.

i think the first explanation makes sense. but then are they paying him to do that over and above his sportnet gig, or is sportsnet giving him that gig at the request of the team? or, as you say, is he just trying to stay on top by going full suckhole with so many unemployed walking haircuts trying to topple him.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah me too. I thought they might be the two to get scooped up by 650 or bounce back the quickest into something but they aren't even that active on twitter. I get taking the time to reevaluate though.
With what Rob Fai is doing on youtube or Paterson and Drance with the Vancast I'd like to see them make a guest appearance somewhere.
The fact that they haven't showed up on those shows is likely indicative that they have something in the works. Of any of the 1040 talent, stealing those 2 guys for the morning show is the biggest no brainer.

Reactions: Luckylarry

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
i think the first explanation makes sense. but then are they paying him to do that over and above his sportnet gig, or is sportsnet giving him that gig at the request of the team? or, as you say, is he just trying to stay on top by going full suckhole with so many unemployed walking haircuts trying to topple him.

No, I just mean that instead of through the media Benning/etc are giving info directly to IMac with assurances he will put a positive spin on things.

But I don't know. It's a very frustrating time right now with an awful team with with zero media pressure.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are the two that are the youngest so they need to figure out what the future is. Do they interact with their followers on social media? In this day and age out of sight out of mind.

These radio personalities all have contracts so they all got paid out. And the SN guys have contracts as well. If the sponsors for the SN are locked in through this nhl season them no need to rush a change.

SN likely taking a wait and see approach of how their ratings do with TSN out of the picture.

it’s a tough industry. Limited options plus Rogers now has the leverage. How much of a pay cut would H&B take to get back in air if the reports that TSN paid more than SN for their on air people.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The fact that they haven't showed up on those shows is likely indicative that they have something in the works. Of any of the 1040 talent, stealing those 2 guys for the morning show is the biggest no brainer.
Yup. H & B would be a huge upgrade on the current 650 morning guys. I’d like to see a partner for Scotty too. He’s not a lead. Someone with bite would be ideal. Who?

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No, I just mean that instead of through the media Benning/etc are giving info directly to IMac with assurances he will put a positive spin on things.

But I don't know. It's a very frustrating time right now with an awful team with with zero media pressure.

The landscape has definitely changed and there are less voices. I feel it's always going to be who you follow/listen to/read.

Let's face it, most people have made up their minds and these days it seems people aren't willing to listen to the other side. Those who haven't probably aren't too vocal about things. Take for instances the posters on here. Doesn't matter how objective one's post / points made are. Most of us are already categorized into one category or another and dismissed as such. So you're not reading IMac and having an open mind about what he is writing I mean this in a matter of fact way.

Personally, I don't think media should influence executive decisions. It's not that hard to do your own DD on how the Canucks are performing this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
"One source told Daily Hive that there’s been talk about an all-sports streaming site being set up, involving a local marketing and advertising agency with ties to TSN 1040. There has also been talk about shifting the format of an existing FM radio station to all-sports."

From this article: Don Taylor hints at a return to airwaves with TSN 1040 friends | Offside

Interesting.
I doubt there will be a return to radio. Hard to imagine that if tsn can’t make it work that another radio station can.

Reactions: skeena1

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Casual fans don't bother doing due diligence on the Canucks.

And the impact of hijacked media including social media on delaying the necessary changes to bad governance cannot be overstated.

Oh, ultimately this horrific mix of incompetent management, propaganda media, and hijacked social media will fall apart. We are already seeing it crumbling as even reddit begins to reject the propaganda. Reality can only be denied for so long.

It didn't have to be this way. But it was. And it will completely fall apart to the point where the changes that were needed ages ago will be made. Nothing can stop that.

Unfortunately, even competent management will be sub-optimal without an independent media holding it to account (and an owner that doesn't meddle, but this is the media thread). There is a long, long way to go. Hopefully from the ashes of 1040 a phoenix will arise that is not beholden to a particular management group. There may be a light at the end of this tunnel.

The one thing we can do is call out both the propaganda BS in the media, and also the attempts to hijack this forum with propaganda, whataboutisms, and all the other logical fallacies I love eviscerating.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad