Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Tried listening to 650 today. Heard some caller named Andrew simping his a** off for management as if he gets paid by them while calling Vancouver fans basically low IQ who can’t do math.

Defended the Eriksson signing because everyone else screwed up in 2016 and wondered how people thought the Beagle/Roussel signings are bad because you have to pay a premium to build a culture and they never expected to be so good so fast.

What a moron. He was hilariously smug about it too. Like, it’s your job as manager to have foresight beyond 1 year and not sign dogs**t contracts. Just because someone else is an idiot, doesn’t mean you have to be one too. Also lmao at guys like Pettersson and Boeser learning how to win from the overpaid bottom 6 bums. Team only goes as far as the stars take us. Who taught Kane and Toews to be winners on the moribund Chicago Blackhawks?

State media needs their balls to drop for real.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Tried listening to 650 today. Heard some caller named Andrew simping his a** off for management as if he gets paid by them while calling Vancouver fans basically low IQ who can’t do math.

Defended the Eriksson signing because everyone else screwed up in 2016 and wondered how people thought the Beagle/Roussel signings are bad because you have to pay a premium to build a culture and they never expected to be so good so fast.

What a moron. He was hilariously smug about it too. Like, it’s your job as manager to have foresight beyond 1 year and not sign dogs**t contracts. Just because someone else is an idiot, doesn’t mean you have to be one too. Also lmao at guys like Pettersson and Boeser learning how to win from the overpaid bottom 6 bums. Team only goes as far as the stars take us. Who taught Kane and Toews to be winners on the moribund Chicago Blackhawks?

This goes to show just how powerful the media can be on the mind of the average casual.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
You can tell how bad the interview and press conferences were today by how quiet MacIntyre, Walker, and Shah are. Drance and Batchelor are really reaching to find something positive to say. Their only positive is that Benning at least answered some questions.

It's his job. Literally a part of his job. The simplest part of his job.

And he flubbed that as bad as one possibly could.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
You can tell how bad the interview and press conferences were today by how quiet MacIntyre, Walker, and Shah are. Drance and Batchelor are really reaching to find something positive to say. Their only positive is that Benning at least answered some questions.

It's his job. Literally a part of his job. The simplest part of his job.

And he flubbed that as bad as one possibly could.

I'll reserve judgement on Sat until his show this afternoon. He's on house radio but he isn't afraid to go hard.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'll reserve judgement on Sat until his show this afternoon. He's on house radio but he isn't afraid to go hard.

I'm curious to hear how it is from you. I'm only exposed to him through twitter or Canucks intermission and he's been very middle road on everything.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sat also was on the air last night and again this morning. You can probably forgive him if he hasn't spent his afternoon slamming people on Twitter.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
I'm curious to hear how it is from you. I'm only exposed to him through twitter or Canucks intermission and he's been very middle road on everything.

He goes hard, but in diplomatic way.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
650 hosts continuing the narrative Jim had nothing to work with when he started. Empty cupboards and all that, that's been disproven plenty.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
650 hosts continuing the narrative Jim had nothing to work with when he started. Empty cupboards and all that, that's been disproven plenty.
Outside of Hughes, Jim has yet to draft and develop a D in 7 years as good as Ben Hutton and Kevin Connaughton. And Gillis never invested a 1st rounder in that position, let alone 2 top 10 picks.

Just let that sink in. 7 years and Kevin Connaughton from 2009 is a bar this master scouting genius has yet to surpass lmao

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

I heard that. Been listening in the background on and off all day, 90% of callers have been critical and the hosts have been as well. It's nice to see the tide turn.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Outside of Hughes, Jim has yet to draft and develop a D in 7 years as good as Ben Hutton and Kevin Connaughton. And Gillis never invested a 1st rounder in that position, let alone 2 top 10 picks.

Just let that sink in. 7 years and Kevin Connaughton from 2009 is a bar this master scouting genius has yet to surpass lmao

That was actually one of the problems. Gillis did a masterful job of extending the competitiveness of the blueline with Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, (to a lesser extent Garrison), and later Tanev. But the lack of drafting success and high picks expended on Dmen comes back to haunt sooner or later.

I do think Benning is better at scouting forwards than Dmen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That was actually one of the problems. Gillis did a masterful job of extending the competitiveness of the blueline with Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, (to a lesser extent Garrison), and later Tanev. But the lack of drafting success and high picks expended on Dmen comes back to haunt sooner or later.

So Gillis not using high draft picks on defensman is why Benning is bad?

What a crock of shit.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

What a crock of shit.

Crocks of shit are pretty much all that's left to deflect from how atrocious Benning has been for 7 years.

Oh, who am I kidding? That's all that's left.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

At some point people have to move on from talking about Gillis. His last batch of Draft picks (headlined by Bo Horvat) are turning 26 this year.

But I expect some people are still going to be talking about Gillis's draft picks if, heaven forbid, Benning sticks around 4 more years and all Gillis' picks are in their 30s.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

What a crock of shit.

Crocks of shit are pretty much all that's left to deflect from how atrocious Benning has been for 7 years.

Oh, who am I kidding? That's all that's left.

I hope that many fans do realize that many of Gillis's picks were equivalent to Benning's 2nd and 3rd's. Gillis had 2 top ten 10 & #9, Hodgson back ruined him and Horvat is the backbone of the team today 8 years later (draft day)
The others were #22, #29 & #26, he traded away a 1rst to get the best PP defenceman of the day in Ballard.
Benning has had #6, #24, #23, #5, #5, #7, #10
For which he has
#6 Virtanen, they are unsure still
#24 McCann - traded for Gudbranson - currently #3 center on Pitts
#23 Boeser - currently a good first line player and still with the team
#5 Juloevi - Up and down on the team, not a regular on a 27th place team
#5 Pettersson - A star of the team
#7 Hughes - Rated a star by the fans, IMO he can't play defence and has cost the team 8W's
#10 Podkolzin - Unknown but expected to be a complimentary player
And he traded away a 1rst as well, Miller, a pretty decent player, a player Tampa guaged to be expendable and may not want to be here.
4 players in 7 years, 6 if Gaudette and McEwen are counted.
Pitiful.

Under Gillis the Manitoba moose, the farm team, won more games than they lost
Under Benning Utica had success the first two years and failure since, the farm team.

Reactions: I am toxic

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
To be honest, the man looked defeated today. I actually felt a little sorry for him. He looked like a boxer who has last 12 rounds and lost every one.
Move on Jim. It's time.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC

Someone defending the Loui Eriksson contract should not be appealing to math

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

What a crock of shit.

I know you like to eat from the crock (pot). :popcorn:

Since Luc Bourdon (RIP), The Canucks haven't used a 1st round pick on a Dman until they drafted Juolevi. The Canucks under Gillis didn't draft a Dman in the first 3 rounds besides Sauve and Connauton. Before Edler, the Canucks did not draft a top 4 calibre NHL Dman using a 2nd round pick or later since Bieksa and before that it was Sopel. This is not a franchise who can pluck top 4 Dmen in the later rounds with regularity. One of our best Dman ever was Ohlund who was a 13th overall pick.

I've said this before, drafting a Dman with a high pick often isn't sexy but if you're looking to build your team from the goalie out the best way is to draft and develop.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At some point people have to move on from talking about Gillis. His last batch of Draft picks (headlined by Bo Horvat) are turning 26 this year.

But I expect some people are still going to be talking about Gillis's draft picks if, heaven forbid, Benning sticks around 4 more years and all Gillis' picks are in their 30s.

There is nothing wrong with talking about Gillis when you're talking what Benning inherited. When that discussion stops talking about Gillis would naturally stop as well. It's just common sense.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
But, does it really make sense for a radio station to mix in sports? Rather than focus on their particular target market and what they tune into the station for? I mean, even on sports radio, there were people who didn't like MLB, NFL, NBA or other sports coverage aside from the Canucks and hockey for example.

Smart way to go. In this economic environment of sports media it will kept him employed.

can you two like merge accounts, or come to some kinda arrangement or something? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad