Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
As a major basketball fan years ago, I could never cheer on the raps. They were the grizzlies rival.

On top of that geographically so many teams are a lot closer. I don’t really have a “team” anymore and more cheer for teams I like year to year.

having said that, the “we are the North” was great marketing, done at the perfect time with GoT.

im not a basketball fan but hearing we the north thing all the time was so cringe. hearing lots of non basketball fans say that sounds so stupid badwagon bull crap. WE THE NORTH. lol no

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
im not a basketball fan but hearing we the north thing all the time was so cringe. hearing lots of non basketball fans say that sounds so stupid badwagon bull crap. WE THE NORTH. lol no
Do the Blue Jays do the whole “we the North” stupidity? Of course not. “We the North” outside of Toronto, actually hate that friggin’ city. Except my wife, of course. Her and her Leaf’s crockpot, Jacket, sheets, socks, etc. (Very quiet Puke emoji)
Here she comes. “Matthews is so cute with his stache, isn’t he?” :laugh:

Reactions: skeena1 and F A N

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Do the Blue Jays do the whole “we the North” stupidity? Of course not. “We the North” outside of Toronto, actually hate that friggin’ city. Except my wife, of course. Her and her Leaf’s crockpot, Jacket, sheets, socks, etc. (Very quiet Puke emoji)

toronto blue jays is a pretty cool team though. why do you hate toronto so much

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
toronto blue jays is a pretty cool team though. why do you hate toronto so much
Like the people (wife is born there) but hate the media and Toronto centric establishment. I must admit I’m a Jay’s fan. I cried like a little girl when Carter “touched them all” in ‘93.
The Leafs were my team in the 60’s. Keon is still my favourite.
What’s wrong with me? :laugh:

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
Like the people (wife is born there) but hate the media and Toronto centric establishment. I must admit I’m a Jay’s fan. I cried like a little girl when Carter “touched them all” in ‘93.
The Leafs were my team in the 60’s. Keon is still my favourite.
What’s wrong with me? :laugh:

im glad you became a canucks fan after being a toronto fan. it pisses me off how so many people here dont like canucks and like teams like toronto or montreal because their grandpa liked that team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
im glad you became a canucks fan after being a toronto fan. it pisses me off how so many people here dont like canucks and like teams like toronto or montreal because their grandpa liked that

Me too. We have our own team. Let’s cheer for them, even if it’s to lose for Luke Hughes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
im glad you became a canucks fan after being a toronto fan. it pisses me off how so many people here dont like canucks and like teams like toronto or montreal because their grandpa liked that team.

Me too. We have our own team. Let’s cheer for them, even if it’s to lose for Luke Hughes.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I get depressed listening to 650, always kind of have, it's just so damn bland, so colorless, the music, the sounds, the voices it's just not good.

I'm also always under the impression that they take more pride in the fact that they are known to the public compared to their pride for the sports and the city/province that they cover.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get depressed listening to 650, always kind of have, it's just so damn bland, so colorless, the music, the sounds, the voices it's just not good.

I'm also always under the impression that they take more pride in the fact that they are known to the public compared to their pride for the sports and the city/province that they cover.
The SN group, I'm sure felt sad for the 1040 guys initially, but now they have to be concerned about their future employment.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs, going to be a very long break from Mid May until September when training camp opens. If these guys don't bump up their ratings, potential for them to be replaced, which likely depends on whose contracts are up first.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The SN group, I'm sure felt sad for the 1040 guys initially, but now they have to be concerned about their future employment.

If the Canucks don't make the playoffs, going to be a very long break from Mid May until September when training camp opens. If these guys don't bump up their ratings, potential for them to be replaced, which likely depends on whose contracts are up first.

Even the apathy already surrounding the Canucks is bad for business. I've enjoyed Sat/Walker and some of the Canucks lunch/pre-game content but you have to think change is coming.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

Your wife finds that stache attractive? I hope you rip on her regularly.

Reactions: kevinsane

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even the apathy already surrounding the Canucks is bad for business. I've enjoyed Sat/Walker and some of the Canucks lunch/pre-game content but you have to think change is coming.
The morning program is ultra vanilla. That’s their second most important time slot behind walker and Sat. James has been the fixture since the launch. Perry moved up from the 9-12 hour after the change of Darling and the third host.

but honestly they are so blah.... but I wasn’t a fan of Pratt and Bro Jake. Loud mouth and a DJ while Kurtengloggers are too frat boy for my tastes.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
The morning program is ultra vanilla. That’s their second most important time slot behind walker and Sat. James has been the fixture since the launch. Perry moved up from the 9-12 hour after the change of Darling and the third host.

but honestly they are so blah.... but I wasn’t a fan of Pratt and Bro Jake. Loud mouth and a DJ while Kurtengloggers are too frat boy for my tastes.
I think I agree nearly word for word about all of the morning shows you touched on. I probably go halford and brough as my favourite of the choices but it’s definitely a lesser of the evils thing. The whole “oh my god we are such morons how do we have jobs?” thing was funny like back when they were just breaking in.

i do like David pratt, but the partnership with bro Jake was a turnoff. One of those two shoulda been a sports guy, and since pratt kinda was, Jake was a bad fit. I get the experiment though, given jake’s local stature.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At least the TSN 1040 radio personalities had a little 'fire in their bellies' when it came to covering the Canucks. It was at least something to look forward to, win or lose.

Sportsnet 650 is about as mundane as dry cornflakes. I mean basically unlistenable, and I include the between period kibitzing with Dan Murphy and guests like IMac, Rintoul and Satiar Shaw.

Just one more reason to channel surf your way through Canuck games.....watch a few minutes until they fall behind and move on to Netflix or whatever else offers up more entertainment.

This is rapidly shaping up as an absolute dud of a hockey season. There has to be a lot of fans out there simply losing interest.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At least the TSN 1040 radio personalities had a little 'fire in their bellies' when it came to covering the Canucks. It was at least something to look forward to, win or lose.

Sportsnet 650 is about as mundane as dry cornflakes. I mean basically unlistenable, and I include the between period kibitzing with Dan Murphy and guests like IMac, Rintoul and Satiar Shaw.

Just one more reason to channel surf your way through Canuck games.....watch a few minutes until they fall behind and move on to Netflix or whatever else offers up more entertainment.

This is rapidly shaping up as an absolute dud of a hockey season. There has to be a lot of fans out there simply losing interest.
Lots of reasons for fans to tune out. No live fans. Same teams over and over. It’s late Feb which is typical TDL time. Should be the stretch drive.

Canucks themselves have basically due to bad contract signings are enduring the pain this season. But if this ends up costing Benning his job I will endure it.

Reactions: vanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the first change will be adding someone to work with Rintoul, maybe Don Taylor.

New ratings come out next week but probably won't tell too much given 1040 just left. Might not see any big changes until the summer.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the first change will be adding someone to work with Rintoul, maybe Don Taylor.

New ratings come out next week but probably won't tell too much given 1040 just left. Might not see any big changes until the summer.
Scotty is so nice, I think he needs more of a foil (for entertainment purposes) and Taylor isn’t that type of character. Maybe Sekeras?
I’d like to see Halford and Brough take over the 650 morning show too.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
I wrote to the 650 programming director, Craig MacEwen, after the 1040 death, and told him that he had an opportunity to bolster his crew, and just because they are the only station in town, that doesn't mean I'd be tuning in. He thanked me for the feedback. But the truth is, 650 is on a shoestring budget. Rintoul supports 2 regions, and those guys get paid probably 60% of what the 1040 crew were getting. Granted the 1040 ratings were 3x, but I don't expect 650 to snatch up all that many of the 1040 hosts. If any I'd wager they get Halford and Brough.
The reason that 650 is so bland is they are the rights holders, and they are somewhat at the mercy of Aquilini. He has influence on the flavour of the coverage. He probably was a bit gleeful at the more critical station going away, but the truth is, in my case at least, not having that outlet when the team does poorly, just makes me indifferent to the team as a whole. It doesn't make me tune into 650 where people like Hirsch are now defending the Juolevi pick, for example.
I don't have any love for Donny and Moj - I couldn't listen to that show, but the others I hope land somewhere. There's a big gap in the market now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad