Vancouver Media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I used to listen to 1040 most mornings while walking the dog. I gave 650 a try for a couple of weeks, but I've given up. I'd rather daydream. Or talk to the dog. (He agrees with most of my Canuck takes—clearly not the smartest breed, though one could say he knows who feeds him.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wrote to the 650 programming director, Craig MacEwen, after the 1040 death, and told him that he had an opportunity to bolster his crew, and just because they are the only station in town, that doesn't mean I'd be tuning in. He thanked me for the feedback. But the truth is, 650 is on a shoestring budget. Rintoul supports 2 regions, and those guys get paid probably 60% of what the 1040 crew were getting. Granted the 1040 ratings were 3x, but I don't expect 650 to snatch up all that many of the 1040 hosts. If any I'd wager they get Halford and Brough.
The reason that 650 is so bland is they are the rights holders, and they are somewhat at the mercy of Aquilini. He has influence on the flavour of the coverage. He probably was a bit gleeful at the more critical station going away, but the truth is, in my case at least, not having that outlet when the team does poorly, just makes me indifferent to the team as a whole. It doesn't make me tune into 650 where people like Hirsch are now defending the Juolevi pick, for example.
I don't have any love for Donny and Moj - I couldn't listen to that show, but the others I hope land somewhere. There's a big gap in the market now.
Trying to recall where each of the original hosts were at when SN started up in 2017.
Rintoul was with 1040 but I think he got let go or downgraded from his show with Barry.
Perry was the main sports host for CTV so maybe pushed out at the time?
James & Carolyn had a show together but they canceled that and move Carolyn back to Ontario.
Walker was in Ontario
Sat was the producer for Bro Jake/Pratt on the morning show
Darling was a Global TV sport anchor. Not sure what his role was in 2017 before radio.
Never heard of Janda, Jang, Ricchio, or Laurence before they landed with SN650.

I could see Pratt, Bro Jake, Taylor making the big money. Brough and Halford on the low end. No clue on Price and Sekeres.

Brough and Halford probably would be close to what they made with TSN being the youngest of the TSN group. Options are limited in this market for them. And with sports radio in general where else could they go to get another opportunity?

Do they go back to the Kurtenblog and do a daily Podcast instead?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Scotty is so nice, I think he needs more of a foil (for entertainment purposes) and Taylor isn’t that type of character. Maybe Sekeras?
I’d like to see Halford and Brough take over the 650 morning show too.

The Canucks were extremely pissed about Sekeres putting out that Boeser rumor before the playoff bubble, so if they are allowed a veto then I wonder if he's the guy. I guess Rintoul is on 10-12 in Calgary as well so maybe Don Taylor isn't that relevant in the Flames market anyway. Not sure who would work with Rintoul then.

I wrote to the 650 programming director, Craig MacEwen, after the 1040 death, and told him that he had an opportunity to bolster his crew, and just because they are the only station in town, that doesn't mean I'd be tuning in. He thanked me for the feedback. But the truth is, 650 is on a shoestring budget. Rintoul supports 2 regions, and those guys get paid probably 60% of what the 1040 crew were getting. Granted the 1040 ratings were 3x, but I don't expect 650 to snatch up all that many of the 1040 hosts. If any I'd wager they get Halford and Brough.
The reason that 650 is so bland is they are the rights holders, and they are somewhat at the mercy of Aquilini. He has influence on the flavour of the coverage. He probably was a bit gleeful at the more critical station going away, but the truth is, in my case at least, not having that outlet when the team does poorly, just makes me indifferent to the team as a whole. It doesn't make me tune into 650 where people like Hirsch are now defending the Juolevi pick, for example.
I don't have any love for Donny and Moj - I couldn't listen to that show, but the others I hope land somewhere. There's a big gap in the market now.

Good for writing to him, I agree with your thoughts. But they're also on a shoestring budget because they've been killed in the ratings (more like 5-7x ratings) for years. With 1040 gone they will at least double what they've been doing which should bring in some more money.

I'm no fan of Donny & Moj either. I think Moj is completely done unless he catches on to somewhere that broadcasts Lions' games. I could see DT back in a role eventually and while he's not my favorite, Moj brought out the worst in him and he could be better with a fresh start. As I mentioned above, Sekeres may have burned some bridges out here but his ratings w/ Price were so good that it would be tough to ignore. If they ended up having the two of them host a 3 hour afternoon show at 650 it wouldn't be a shock.

Trying to recall where each of the original hosts were at when SN started up in 2017.
Rintoul was with 1040 but I think he got let go or downgraded from his show with Barry.
Perry was the main sports host for CTV so maybe pushed out at the time?
James & Carolyn had a show together but they canceled that and move Carolyn back to Ontario.
Walker was in Ontario
Sat was the producer for Bro Jake/Pratt on the morning show
Darling was a Global TV sport anchor. Not sure what his role was in 2017 before radio.
Never heard of Janda, Jang, Ricchio, or Laurence before they landed with SN650.

I could see Pratt, Bro Jake, Taylor making the big money. Brough and Halford on the low end. No clue on Price and Sekeres.

Brough and Halford probably would be close to what they made with TSN being the youngest of the TSN group. Options are limited in this market for them. And with sports radio in general where else could they go to get another opportunity?

Do they go back to the Kurtenblog and do a daily Podcast instead?

Podcasts are fine but they aren't really replacing a full income that way unless it gets quite successful which will be difficult when it's marketed to just this local market. While I'm a big fan of them I could see them being the ones who don't find their way back on airwaves anytime soon.

As for the $ side, Sekeres/Price had huge ratings so you can imagine they made good money. If they weren't making the most out of both stations then they need better agents.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So far I still like Sat/Walker and guys like Jamie Dodd & Dan Riccio are growing on me. Nothing happens overnight, but something like:

6am-9am Kurtenblog
9am-12pm Riccio w/ Rintoul/Janda/Dodd
12pm-1pm Canucks Central (Riccio/Dodd/etc)
1pm-4pm Sat & Walker
4pm-7pm Sekeres & Price

..would probabably be ideal for me right now. The 9am slot is still kind of weak but it's also the least important slot.

Morning show has to go & Rintoul/Janda still do nothing for me.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s a buyers market now for Rogers. So no chance Sekeras and price can expect their salaries they had with TSN. What options are left for them in this market? And even elsewhere in Canada? They would get the walker treatment from fans as an outsider to their new market for anything anti team.

I agree that the AM morning show is most at risk of getting replaced. James has been there since the beginning. And he was up against two different hosts at TSN and got beat badly still.

YeahHeDid

Mar 26, 2011
So far I still like Sat/Walker and guys like Jamie Dodd & Dan Riccio are growing on me. Nothing happens overnight, but something like:

6am-9am Kurtenblog
9am-12pm Riccio w/ Rintoul/Janda/Dodd
12pm-1pm Canucks Central (Riccio/Dodd/etc)
1pm-4pm Sat & Walker
4pm-7pm Sekeres & Price

..would probabably be ideal for me right now. The 9am slot is still kind of weak but it's also the least important slot.

Morning show has to go & Rintoul/Janda still do nothing for me.

No way they go from 4 hour shows to 3 hour shows. Doesn't make sens financially.

I'd consider the following a serious line up.

6am to 10am Halford and Brough
10 - 2pm Sekeres and Walker (to see the world burn. it would be fascinating)
2 - 6 Sat and Price (also pre and post game, with Jeff Paterson)

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No way they go from 4 hour shows to 3 hour shows. Doesn't make sens financially.

You'd have to have a strong producer or two for the mid day show, to act as mediators or to fill in when one or both of the hosts storm out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

650 already runs 3 hour shows.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
my bad. ok then, there is some cost saving opportunities as well if they took on higher salaries.
TSN went from 3 hour shows to 4 hour shows when they moved off the Bro Jake and Pratt duo to save money.

I doubt the remaining hosts got a 1/3 bump in pay.

SN has remained with their 3 hour format.

So, if they wanted to follow the TSN setup, they could and find some savings.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

So you have Sekeres babysit Walker and Price carry Sat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->