Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Assuming we won't get Panarin or Duchene, which is almost certain, it's going to be a very bad contract to one of the second-tier free agents. Think Ferland, Dzingel, Maroon, Skinner, Eberle, or Nyquist. I would put extra money on guys who go deeper in the playoffs (veteran mentors), or had an abnormal career year (low probability of repeat success), based on Benning's track record. He will identify the wrong player and absolutely pay above market premium. That's his thing.

The guys I actually want are Brandon Tanev and Brock Nelson. Though Nelson is certainly boosting his price tag with the way he's been playing in the post season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Assuming we won't get Panarin or Duchene, which is almost certain, it's going to be a very bad contract to one of the second-tier free agents. Think Ferland, Dzingel, Maroon, Skinner, Eberle, or Nyquist. I would put extra money on guys who go deeper in the playoffs (veteran mentors), or had an abnormal career year (low probability of repeat success), based on Benning's track record. He will identify the wrong player and absolutely pay above market premium. That's his thing.

The guys I actually want are Brandon Tanev and Brock Nelson. Though Nelson is certainly boosting his price tag with the way he's been playing in the post season.

No no no no to Tanev. He's the definition of a guy who garners an overpay. Fast, works hard, and is gritty. The announcers say his name a lot in the playoffs (despite actually having so-so results) so people think he's clutch. He's basically the slightly better version of Tyler Motte: a guy that looks like he's doing a lot, but doesn't actually accomplish much

His numbers away from Copp and Lowry are really bad. But Copp and Lowry's underlying numbers are sterling with anybody. So we know who the third wheel is.

He'd just be another piece to add to the Sea of Granlund.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
No no no no to Tanev. He's the definition of a guy who garners an overpay. Fast, works hard, and is gritty. The announcers say his name a lot in the playoffs (despite actually having so-so results) so people think he's clutch. He's basically the slightly better version of Tyler Motte: a guy that looks like he's doing a lot, but doesn't actually accomplish much

His numbers away from Copp and Lowry are really bad. But Copp and Lowry's underlying numbers are sterling with anybody. So we know who the third wheel is.

He'd just be another piece to add to the Sea of Granlund.

It would be contract dependent. If we were turning over a bottom six role Tanev wouldn't be a bad bet for -15 goals and his underlying numbers are decent. I did not know the Copp and Lowry stat, though. I thought Tanev might be a cheaper option, but if he's going to get a dumb contact than no way.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It would be contract dependent. If we were turning over a bottom six role Tanev wouldn't be a bad bet for -15 goals and his underlying numbers are decent. I did not know the Copp and Lowry stat, though. I thought Tanev might be a cheaper option, but if he's going to get a dumb contact than no way.

Well I mean, the value of any signing is contract dependent. If he wants to sign here for 1 million, then sure. But as a UFA, he's surely looking for Beagle/Roussel money, which for me is nowhere near worth it (though Benning likely has no qualms about committing term and money to a purely bottom-six player). We just have so many players of this ilk already: meh to useful-but-eminently-replaceable.

Feb 19, 2018
We will be getting one of Karlsson or Subban this year I feel and miss out on the big forward free agents. I can see us trading with Tampa to help out with their cap and gaining a winger like Callahan and receiving a Sergachev like asset in return.

I feel our defence will be the major overhaul this Summer after it’s all said and done with a focus on the right side and offensive puck movers. Duchene wants to go to Nashville and recently bought property there and Nashville has the pieces to replace Subban on D and want that 9 million freed up. Tampa wants Karlsson and need to shed salary while giving up assets and I can see us capitalizing on that front (finally)

If the Subban situation doesn’t play out at the draft we go all in for Karlsson in free agency hoping he takes the money and his wife is a fan of Vancouver.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It would not surprise me if they signed Brett Connolly

Same, even though he's not what they need now that Tanner Pearson is a Canuck.

Speed, Skill and Will are the terms the Canucks should be looking for in potential UFA signees. Not Big, Physical, and Heavy.

I keep going back to Brock Nelson as a good fit

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It would not surprise me if they signed Brett Connolly

That would be a good signing if it's at a reasonable price. Cup winner at the right age where he can contribute for a few years still, think he also adds a meaningful skillset to the bottom-6. Should be a Hamhuis-like signing.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That would be a good signing if it's at a reasonable price. Cup winner at the right age where he can contribute for a few years still, think he also adds a meaningful skillset to the bottom-6. Should be a Hamhuis-like signing.

Canucks do not need to spend more money on the bottom 6. Improve the bottom 6 by bumping players down the lineup after signing a good top 6 forward

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Canucks do not need to spend more money on the bottom 6. Improve the bottom 6 by bumping players down the lineup after signing a good top 6 forward
I dont necessarily disagree but the problem is if we sign a UFA to bolster the top 6 it will almost surely be a disastrous over payment. Adding scoring to the 3rd line may be our only option that won’t harm the team 4 seasons in the future

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I dont necessarily disagree but the problem is if we sign a UFA to bolster the top 6 it will almost surely be a disastrous over payment. Adding scoring to the 3rd line may be our only option that won’t harm the team 4 seasons in the future

So let's just add to the gluton of 3rd liners that the Canucks already have... Yup, that will fix things.

I'm not saying UFA is the way to go, but Canucks need to upgrade their top 6. Adding another 3rd liner isn't going to help Pettersson, Boeser or Horvat build on their seasons

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The Canucks actually need to spend less money on the bottom six, but increase the efficiency of the dollars spent. A good way to start would be jettisoning all the dead weight down there and bringing in some players that offer salary-to-performance efficiency, which is basically the opposite of what we've been doing.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So let's just add to the gluton of 3rd liners that the Canucks already have... Yup, that will fix things.

I'm not saying UFA is the way to go, but Canucks need to upgrade their top 6. Adding another 3rd liner isn't going to help Pettersson, Boeser or Horvat build on their seasons
It won’t fix things but if you bring in a guy like Connely and get rid of Granlund the team will be marginally better. If you sign a top 6 player we will be in cap hell in 3 years and will have trouble signing Elias and Hughes. Adding a high priced UFA Is a terrible idea. My preference is to do absolutely nothing this summer. I understand your interested in a trade but we simply don’t have the assets

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The Canucks actually need to spend less money on the bottom six, but increase the efficiency of the dollars spent. A good way to start would be jettisoning all the dead weight down there and bringing in some players that offer salary-to-performance efficiency, which is basically the opposite of what we've been doing.

The Canucks do need to move out some of the overpaid bottom 6 players for sure, but not to add more. I'd rather overpay someone who can score at a top 6 rate.

If the Canucks can acquire 1-2 good top 6 wingers, a Josh Leivo moves down into a 3rd line role and will be much more efficient in terms of salary vs production.

I'm not advocating drastically overpaying for someone in UFA, but finding the right fit who can be brought in for a price that is manageable. It's why I brought up Brock Nelson, consistently scoring 20 goals and 40 points, his contract shouldn't be an anchor that will stop the Canucks from signing their young players.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It won’t fix things but if you bring in a guy like Connely and get rid of Granlund the team will be marginally better. If you sign a top 6 player we will be in cap hell in 3 years and will have trouble signing Elias and Hughes. Adding a high priced UFA Is a terrible idea. My preference is to do absolutely nothing this summer. I understand your interested in a trade but we simply don’t have the assets

Nothing is better than wasting money marginally improving the bottom 6.

The Canucks have more assets than people think, because the fans here are very negative to anyone that isn't under 24 and part of the future. They don't have the assets to go BIG but the assets are there for a 2nd line move, or for a player who has underachieved and needs a new situation.

I'd much rather the Canucks look for another reclamation project for cheap, than to just add to the gluton of 3rd liners.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Nothing is better than wasting money marginally improving the bottom 6.

The Canucks have more assets than people think, because the fans here are very negative to anyone that isn't under 24 and part of the future. They don't have the assets to go BIG but the assets are there for a 2nd line move, or for a player who has underachieved and needs a new situation.

I'd much rather the Canucks look for another reclamation project for cheap, than to just add to the gluton of 3rd liners.
What assets do we have to add a top 6 scorer? Not
Interested in moving picks. Markstrom as part of a package is the only player I can think of but they are unlikely to roll with Demko. Teams aren’t giving us a young top 6 forward for junk like Virtanen plus Hutton

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What assets do we have to add a top 6 scorer? Not
Interested in moving picks. Markstrom as part of a package is the only player I can think of but they are unlikely to roll with Demko. Teams aren’t giving us a young top 6 forward for junk like Virtanen plus Hutton

That's your problem right there, you think that Virtanen and Hutton are junk.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Pearson, Leivo, Roussel, Gaudette - these guys are quality bottom 6 players. You win with these types of player.
Leave them in the bottom six. Fine a LW for Pettersson and a RW for Horvat. If they do that, i think the Canucks are good up front.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
That's your problem right there, you think that Virtanen and Hutton are junk.
And I’d counter that it’s very clear that you over value our players. You could probably get a mid round pick for these kind of depth players but you aren’t getting a young top 6 forward. This reminds me of Raymond plus Ballard plus 2nd round pick

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
And I’d counter that it’s very clear that you over value our players. You could probably get a mid round pick for these kind of depth players but you aren’t getting a young top 6 forward. This reminds me of Raymond plus Ballard plus 2nd round pick

I'm not expecting a bonified top line player for them, but you can still get a decent top 6 skilled forward in a package based around those players.

They are far from junk as you put it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad