Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Lol I forgot how insane the roster is right now. Currently have Petey, Bo, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Pearson, Baertschi, and Roussel signed beyond next year; plus Gaudette, Virtanen, Schaller, and Spooner signed for next year.

That’s TWELVE GUYS before getting to RFAs (which includes our third-leading scorer, fifth-highest goal-scorer, eighth-highest goal-scorer, and seventh-highest assist-getter).

THERE ARE SO MANY BODIES JUST FLOATING AROUND

Yeah Benning likes his reclamation projects.........geezus - like how much riff raft do we have on this team? It's ridiculous

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah Benning likes his reclamation projects.........geezus - like how much riff raft do we have on this team? It's ridiculous
Expect them to thin the herd. Spooner and Schaller, who have contracts, I don't expect on the roster. Spooner should be a buyout. Schaller, either buried in the AHL or bought out as well. Just have to decide if an extra $650K is worth having him in the AHL this season vs bought out.

That thins the ranks down to 10 before extending Brock and Leivo, the only 2 RFA that are sure fire extensions, even if Leivo just goes to arbitration.

I don't expect to see Eriksson moved. There are plenty of other contracts cap floor teams can acquire to hit the minimum, and it's really just like Ottawa/NJ. And with NJ, they need to extend Hall, so just getting by at the floor isn't going to convince him to sign long term with them. I think they have to bury Loui in the AHL. Then there's Sutter. Contract is coming back, either via another player or the Canucks retain to drop Sutter down to $3 million or less.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I think that it all depends on the draft and what happens there...….

If he feels who ever he drafts is a first line/first pairing Defenseman, well, I don't think he goes out and signs a top end UFA in that position, if he feels that the pick is more likely a 2nd line/2nd pairing player, then he signs a higher end/longer contract player...….

Take Dach/Krebs/Boldy with the 10th OA at the draft

I would be ok with Panarin at 12 X 6 would be fine

I would also like to pry Pesce away from Carolina

With addition of Hughes, that is a good summer

Sure is lots of ways this could play out......

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I'd make a big pitch to panarin and Duchene try hard to land one of those 2 guys, add a solid second pairing d. I'd actually be happy if we went all in on panarin and Duchene(11 mil and 9mil) because we might end up having to clear some cap space and finally get rid of some of the dead weight dragging the roster down(Sutter, eriksson, schaller)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hope they look at Robby Fabbri, I think he'd be a good winger for Pettersson and Boeser. He's fast, doesn't shy away from the forecheck and corners and thinks the game well. He's buried in St Louis and has had a couple unfortunate seasons with injuries. Not sure what it would take to get him, he's an RFA.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I hope they look at Robby Fabbri, I think he'd be a good winger for Pettersson and Boeser. He's fast, doesn't shy away from the forecheck and corners and thinks the game well. He's buried in St Louis and has had a couple unfortunate seasons with injuries. Not sure what it would take to get him, he's an RFA.

Why would the blues give him up though. What do we have that they might be interested in giving him up. Markstrom, if they arent sure about Binnington? Hutton/Tanev? Not sure about their D situation

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks can 'priortize' scoring wingers all they want. But I can't think of a single UFA who fits the bill, other than Panerin and Duchene. They're in the top tier, but no chance they'd ever come to a Canadian market.

There's a second tier of wingers who top out in the low-20's in terms of goals. And those totals were on 'good' teams. Benning would have to overpay, and there's almost no chance they'd hit the 20 goal mark playing on an offensively challenged team like the Canucks.

So that leaves the trade route. I have no idea who could be available, but Burakovsky has been mentioned win Washington and if the Leafs crash and burn in the playoffs this spring, maybe Nylander and his $7m contract could be had. Problem is Jimbo has virtually nothing of any value to trade, other than his best young players, and that won't be happening.

So unfortunately this entire threat strikes me as more 'wishful thinking' than 'reality'.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The Canucks can 'priortize' scoring wingers all they want. But I can't think of a single UFA who fits the bill, other than Panerin and Duchene. They're in the top tier, but no chance they'd ever come to a Canadian market.

There's a second tier of wingers who top out in the low-20's in terms of goals. And those totals were on 'good' teams. Benning would have to overpay, and there's almost no chance they'd hit the 20 goal mark playing on an offensively challenged team like the Canucks.

So that leaves the trade route. I have no idea who could be available, but Burakovsky has been mentioned win Washington and if the Leafs crash and burn in the playoffs this spring, maybe Nylander and his $7m contract could be had. Problem is Jimbo has virtually nothing of any value to trade, other than his best young players, and that won't be happening.

So unfortunately this entire threat strikes me as more 'wishful thinking' than 'reality'.

We have very little to trade. Assume EP Boeser Horvat and Hughes are untouchable. Virtanen and Juolevi would not garner what they are really worth. Edler is not agreeing to a trade. The only bits that really could have value, and we could afford to lose, are Tanev and either Markstrom or Demko. Can't see them being worth much, And FFS stop trading draft picks to bring marginal players that we then sign to contracts that are too long and overpaid. Maybe Gaudette, hutton and or stecher ... but the reality is that a decent addition is going to be costly. If its UFA, Panerin or Duchene, it going to be overpaid and long term.

And bringing in Nylander, at whatever trade cost, would give us another skilled soft overpaid player. Yech.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wrong. Trying to explain it to you is a bit difficult since it's not the Gospel according to Benning.

In your world, all those who don't follow the Gospel are filled with hate. It is kind of the attitude who shows how controlled you are. I hope you enjoyed writing a bunch of lies just because you want to please your lord and savior Dim Jim.

While I dont agree with Kruts a whole lot I dont think he is one of the bad apples.

He usually makes actual arguments, explaining his points of view and gives a glimpse to his inner logic.

If anything he might feel the need to try to "balance the scales" because the negative takes on Benning and everything he does is omnipresent on these boards (Im one of the posters who cant help but keep reminding everyone constantly...).

I hate the fact that in todays world weve lost the ability to respectfully disagree. Instead we demonise and dehumanise the opposition... But thats getting way off topic.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lol I forgot how insane the roster is right now. Currently have Petey, Bo, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Pearson, Baertschi, and Roussel signed beyond next year; plus Gaudette, Virtanen, Schaller, and Spooner signed for next year.

That’s TWELVE GUYS before getting to RFAs (which includes our third-leading scorer, fifth-highest goal-scorer, eighth-highest goal-scorer, and seventh-highest assist-getter).

THERE ARE SO MANY BODIES JUST FLOATING AROUND

Most teams carry 15-16 forwards on their roster and have guys signed to NHL contracts that they expect to end up on the farm. Obviously there are a few contracts that the Canucks want to shed but likely can't (such as Eriksson's and Spooner's). I don't think the Canucks are in bad shape flexibility wise. The bigger issue is how to add more talent to the roster, especially top 6 talent. Quite frankly, acquiring someone to replace a Schaller or a Granlund isn't going to move the needle.

Nothing wrong with going to the thrift store when you could use a few piece and don't want to spend too much. It's a good time to pick up reclamation projects who might just need a change of scenery and or opportunity.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Niederreiter would of been a good top 6 Forward to target. Can't believe he got traded for Rask. Canucks could of offered Virtanen.

Some top 6 Forward like Zucker, Ehlers, Kapanen, Miller might be available

Any of these players Gaudette, Virtanen, Hutton, Goldobin can be used to get a top 6 Forward.

Canucks need to upgrade the 3rd line center as well. They need more offence. Jb should try to sign Hayes to be the 3rd line center

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Wonder if we could pry Killorn from Lighting to play as Pettersson's LW? He's got good skill and size and given a more offensive role I believe he could break 50 points. He has 4 years remaining at 4.45 per and along with Boeser would give us a great top line. Not sure what we need to give to get him from Lighting though but with them in a cap crunch maybe it wouldn't cost too much. Then we just need to find a winger for Horvat.

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
They definitely would. Fabbri has had two ACL surgeries, has lost a ton of speed/aggression, and scored 2 goals in 32 games this season while missing time with groin and shoulder injuries and getting healthy scratched for 10 straight games.
Sounds like a perfect Canuck... I wonder if Pearson has solidified his opening day lineup on Bo's wing. Nyquist would look pretty good on the other side.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We have very little to trade. Assume EP Boeser Horvat and Hughes are untouchable. Virtanen and Juolevi would not garner what they are really worth. Edler is not agreeing to a trade. The only bits that really could have value, and we could afford to lose, are Tanev and either Markstrom or Demko. Can't see them being worth much, And FFS stop trading draft picks to bring marginal players that we then sign to contracts that are too long and overpaid. Maybe Gaudette, hutton and or stecher ... but the reality is that a decent addition is going to be costly. If its UFA, Panerin or Duchene, it going to be overpaid and long term.

And bringing in Nylander, at whatever trade cost, would give us another skilled soft overpaid player. Yech.
Another? Please tell me what other players we have of Nylander’s caliber on this team?

Nylander is an excellent player who had a poor season, he would be a massive upgrade on the overpaid junk we have on this garbage team:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Another? Please tell me what other players we have of Nylander’s caliber on this team?

Nylander is an excellent player who had a poor season, he would be a massive upgrade on the overpaid junk we have on this garbage team:
Id take him for half the salary. Doesnt do enough to justify that contract

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Is there anybody that fits the Jimbo "mold" that is not gonna cost us 5m+ or is not 90 years old?

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Wonder if we could pry Killorn from Lighting to play as Pettersson's LW? He's got good skill and size and given a more offensive role I believe he could break 50 points. He has 4 years remaining at 4.45 per and along with Boeser would give us a great top line. Not sure what we need to give to get him from Lighting though but with them in a cap crunch maybe it wouldn't cost too much. Then we just need to find a winger for Horvat.
That could be an interesting and solid move assuming Killorn doesn't regress. He have very good on ice numbers.

Edit: His NTC could be risky if he does regress.

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
That could be an interesting and solid move assuming Killorn doesn't regress. He have very good on ice numbers.

Edit: His NTC could be risky if he does regress.
His NTC is void once moved though if he agrees to be moved that is. At 4.45 he'd be fine even on the 3rd line for a year or two at end of his 4 years remaining.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->