Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I think we all know Benning's going to overpay a free agent or two, but the more logical route to acquire two top-6 forwards is through trades. Almost certainly we're going to have to pay extra to sign free agents on the basis of being a terrible team, but at least through trades, that won't neccessarily be the case.

I would look to get Toffoli from the Kings to play on the 2nd line with Horvat and Pearson. Then trade for JT Miller to play 1LW alongside Pettersson and Boeser. Neither will cost us an arm and a leg. Plus they both have reasonable term and money left on their contracts.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Toffoli - Horvat - Pearson

Like I said, almost no chance this happens. Benning's practically determined to overpay a free agent.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think we all know Benning's going to overpay a free agent or two, but the more logical route to acquire two top-6 forwards is through trades. Almost certainly we're going to have to pay extra to sign free agents on the basis of being a terrible team, but at least through trades, that won't neccessarily be the case.

I would look to get Toffoli from the Kings to play on the 2nd line with Horvat and Pearson. Then trade for JT Miller to play 1LW alongside Pettersson and Boeser. Neither will cost us an arm and a leg. Plus they both have reasonable term and money left on their contracts.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Toffoli - Horvat - Pearson

Like I said, almost no chance this happens. Benning's practically determined to overpay a free agent.
What are you trading for Miller and Toffoli?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
And I’d counter that it’s very clear that you over value our players. You could probably get a mid round pick for these kind of depth players but you aren’t getting a young top 6 forward. This reminds me of Raymond plus Ballard plus 2nd round pick

Raymond's career season is but 6 points less than the CAREER point totals of Virtanen at this point.
Heck, Keith Ballard (a defenseman) put up more points in his first two NHL seasons than the CAREER point totals of Virtanen. You under value Raymond + Ballard + 2nd round pick.:naughty:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
After the playoffs new names will emerge. Hopefully somebody thinks Petterson is his ticket to a career year. Canucks are set in goal and only need a couple of pieces. They are more attractive on ice than they have been in years! Good things might happen!?

Reactions: Paulinvancouver
Feb 24, 2017
Sorry for spam, but my thoughts on a bunch of "buy-low" forwards we could target...

I'd previously been a fan of Fabbri and would have advocated for this, but I'm not so sure now. He's had two crippling knee injuries, and I'm not sure he's ever going to get that level of mobility back. Advanced metrics paint him as a fairly weak defensive player as well.

I advocated for trading for Nino on this board in the offseason and at the beginning of the season when he was in Boudreau's doghouse, as a buy-low candidate. Could have worked out quite nicely as a possession-style winger for Petey or Bo.

Based on what Fenton is doing, Zucker could be a nice second chance at that style of deal: low-risk, high reward. He'd certainly provide a goal-scoring boost. I like Kapanen as well, but I don't think we really have the assets to trade for him. Best bet would probably be an offer sheet at the maximum salary within the 2nd round pick compensation band. I'd love to sign Hayes too, but there's no chance he's coming here.

I think Killorn is pretty underrated: Solid defensive metrics, and brings consistent even-strength scoring. He's definitely better than our current Sea of Granlund. I just don't think we have the disposal assets to trade for him, unless you can liquidate the likes of Hutton and Baertschi into draft capital, and use those picks to trade for Killorn.

I'm as big a fan of Nylander there is, and he was my No.1 choice at the time of the 2014 draft. I just don't think we have the assets to trade for him, unless Dubas really bows to the cap crunch and is willing to accept something like the 10th+
We accept. Just the 10. Please God convince Dubas.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
And I’d counter that it’s very clear that you over value our players. You could probably get a mid round pick for these kind of depth players but you aren’t getting a young top 6 forward. This reminds me of Raymond plus Ballard plus 2nd round pick

Niederreiter for Rask
Coyle for Donato
Granlund for Fiala

Are all examples of top 6 F that didn't go for much.

Some teams that has top 6 forwards that are wanting to clear some cap space can be interested in Virtanen. 1.2 M cap and can score 15 goals.

Hutton is like a number 3/4 D on an average team and maybe a number 5 on a good team. He is definitely worth a 40 to 50 point top 6 F.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Niederreiter for Rask
Coyle for Donato
Granlund for Fiala

Are all examples of top 6 F that didn't go for much.

Some teams that has top 6 forwards that are wanting to clear some cap space can be interested in Virtanen. 1.2 M cap and can score 15 goals.

Hutton is like a number 3/4 D on an average team and maybe a number 5 on a good team. He is definitely worth a 40 to 50 point top 6 F.
The Nino trade was bizarre...we can’t bank on Benning being able to fleece a team. You lost me at Hutton being a 3/4. With his contract he isn’t making the top 6 on a playoff team.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The Nino trade was bizarre...we can’t bank on Benning being able to fleece a team. You lost me at Hutton being a 3/4. With his contract he isn’t making the top 6 on a playoff team.

I Don't even think you can even name the top 6 D on each playoff team before you wrote Hutton is not a top 6 D on a playoffs team. If you can't do that, you pretty much having an argument for the sake of having an argument.

All I6 playoffs teams. Tell me 6 D That Are better than Hutton?

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
What are you trading for Miller and Toffoli?

Likely won't be much. Bet Toffoli could be had by trading Virtanen, and I've seen TB fans only looking for a 2nd round pick plus a small add for Miller. Would gladly do both trades.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

He makes 2.8m and played almost 25+ minutes a night for a chunk of a season. Was stapled to Gudbranson until he was traded to boot.

He would have been a great pickup for a competitive team with 3m in cap space if Benning was stupid enough to give him away cheap.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fast & Heavy teams are doing exceptionally well in the playoffs. I would ship out Baertschi and Goldobin and keep players like Virtanen, Leivo & Pearson. Definitely need to add a top 6 scoring winger though.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Fast & Heavy teams are doing exceptionally well in the playoffs. I would ship out Baertschi and Goldobin and keep players like Virtanen, Leivo & Pearson. Definitely need to add a top 6 scoring winger though.

You got one term right, Fast
Heavy isn't correct though, Strong is the correct term.

It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but to me Heavy leans too far to the Big players, while Strong can include smaller players

Reactions: CanuckCity

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I Don't even think you can even name the top 6 D on each playoff team before you wrote Hutton is not a top 6 D on a playoffs team. If you can't do that, you pretty much having an argument for the sake of having an argument.

All I6 playoffs teams. Tell me 6 D That Are better than Hutton?
I think Hutton would be a fine number #6 in a somewhat sheltered role if he was making $1MM -$1.5MM. He is overpaid

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
He makes 2.8m and played almost 25+ minutes a night for a chunk of a season. Was stapled to Gudbranson until he was traded to boot.

He would have been a great pickup for a competitive team with 3m in cap space if Benning was stupid enough to give him away cheap.
25 minutes a night means nothing to me. Look at his competition! Pouliot- guddy - broken Tanev - Biega- Sautner and Brise. Worst D in the league. Stecher and Edler are worth keeping and the rest should be gone.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
25 minutes a night means nothing to me. Look at his competition! Pouliot- guddy - broken Tanev - Biega- Sautner and Brise. Worst D in the league. Stecher and Edler are worth keeping and the rest should be gone.
I don't view Stecher as noticeably different from Hutton. The later had to deal with being stuck for Guds for good portions of the season. Not irrereplaceable but I wouldn't be so quick to deal him if for no other reason of the rest of the garbage making up the rest of the blueline (outside of Edler & Tanev).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

There are not a lot of idiots like Jim Benning out there, but if you can find one he might look at Hutton and say: "Well this guy plays ~25 minutes per night, had 20 points in his rookie season, and is over 200 lbs! Plus he's paid under $3M AAV and he's under 30! Score!"

I agree in reality Hutton is a bottom-pairing or seventh defenseman on a good team and has poor advanced metrics. But there might just be a GM out that assesses talent in stupid, asymmetrical stat methodologies like Jim Benning. You have to shop him to find out.

Similarly, this other idiot GM might look at Virtanen and say: "He's big, skates fast, and can really rip the puck!"

That's the hope anyway.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't view Stecher as noticeably different from Hutton. The later had to deal with being stuck for Guds for good portions of the season. Not irrereplaceable but I wouldn't be so quick to deal him if for no other reason of the rest of the garbage making up the rest of the blueline (outside of Edler & Tanev).
I think Hutton dragged EG down and EG dragged Hutton down. After EG was dumped, Stecher carried Hutton. I value Stecher much higher and always have. Totally agree with TruGrit, there is likely an idiot GM that will value the basic size/ minutes played/ age of Hutton and hopefully take him off our hands for An asset

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Totally agree with TruGrit, there is likely an idiot GM that will value the basic size/ minutes played/ age of Hutton and hopefully take him off our hands for An asset
I have zero faith this GM will able to replace Hutton (note, that isn't the same as me saying he is irreplaceable). Even forgetting that, I have even LESS faith in this GM getting a good deal for Hutton (wouldn't surprise me if he was dealt for another Guds project).

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I have zero faith this GM will able to replace Hutton (note, that isn't the same as me saying he is irreplaceable). Even forgetting that, I have even LESS faith in this GM getting a good deal for Hutton (wouldn't surprise me if he was dealt for another Guds project).
How about an extra pick for the draft and then plug in a UFA on a two year contract. Or just throw in Sautner or Brise in his spot. I don’t think there will be much of a difference and we can add an asset and reduce payroll

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
How about an extra pick for the draft and then plug in a UFA on a two year contract. Or just throw in Sautner or Brise in his spot. I don’t think there will be much of a difference and we can add an asset and reduce payroll
To be honest, I don't have a problem with our cap situation. The less cap space Elmer has, the less chance the next GM will have to deal with the chance of another Louie E. type of contract on the books. I've said this before, I think Benning would be a better GM with a team that has a much lower internal cap (where he doesn't have the opportunity to exercise his pro scouting "skills").

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I’m happy with EP too, but Benning clearly should have taken Tkatchuk instead of OJ. Then Petey would have his winger, and wouldn’t be needing to ask management to get him one.
My guess is if they would have got Tkatchuk, rather than Joulevi, is they would not have been in the position to pick Pettersson.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad