Speculation: Vancouver is prioritizing the acquisition of scoring wingers for Pettersson and Horvat

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Ferland is definitely on the Canucks radar. We were thinking of picking him up back in January.

31 Thoughts: Buyers, sellers emerging ahead of NHL Trade Deadline - Sportsnet.ca
#4 of 31 thoughts by Freidman

Additionally, there is some familiarity with Ferland and Weisbrod as well. I would not be surprised to hear that the Canucks make a big offer for Ferland.

That's back in January. I think he was, but now I think with the acquisition of Pearson and the need for more skill vs grit, Ferland isn't what they will be looking for.

Reactions: Mergatroidskittle

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
That's back in January. I think he was, but now I think with the acquisition of Pearson and the need for more skill vs grit, Ferland isn't what they will be looking for.
That's just speculation from you.

“It would be nice to add another Top-6 player to help us in the scoring department,” the GM said. “And we want to look at our defence and if we can make some upgrades on defence, we’d like to do that.”
Canucks searching for defencemen, top-six forward in busy off-season: GM

This was quoted a few days ago, Benning only specified top six forward, he never specified a player style.

Jim Benning pleased with Canucks' depth, unlikely to go after big name free agents - Sportsnet.ca
At 3:30, Benning talks about he is unlikely to go in the direction of a big contract. I think it effectively rules out Duchene and Panarin.
This interview took place in Mid-March.

Recently, he talked about not ruling out non-headline player acquisitions.

I'm not saying we will for sure sign Ferland but you're ruling things out and interpreting things that haven't been stated. Based on this, I feel like a middle six player acquisition is on the way.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That's just speculation from you.

“It would be nice to add another Top-6 player to help us in the scoring department,” the GM said. “And we want to look at our defence and if we can make some upgrades on defence, we’d like to do that.”
Canucks searching for defencemen, top-six forward in busy off-season: GM

This was quoted a few days ago, Benning only specified top six forward, he never specified a player style.

Jim Benning pleased with Canucks' depth, unlikely to go after big name free agents - Sportsnet.ca
At 3:30, Benning talks about he is unlikely to go in the direction of a big contract. I think it effectively rules out Duchene and Panarin.
This interview took place in Mid-March.

Recently, he talked about not ruling out non-headline player acquisitions.

I'm not saying we will for sure sign Ferland but you're ruling things out and interpreting things that haven't been stated. Based on this, I feel like a middle six player acquisition is on the way.

I'm interpretating and making educated guesses based on what is pretty obvious the Canucks need. They need players who can play a puck possession game with speed. That's not Ferland.

If they don't go big names, I think they go after players like Nyquist and/or Zuccerello on short term deals.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Canucks could go all-in and blow their brains out by signing bothPanerin and Duchene, but if they don't fix the blueline they'd be wasting their money. 'Scoring wingers' can't score if the d-men can't exit their own zone or get them the puck.

The second major problem the Utica prospects on the wing (8 of them) suffered with after the absence of centers, D that consistently move the puck. Utica's D struggled mightily just to clear their zone let alone start the rush with the quick accurate passes. It wasn't coaching it was team construction and when the Canucks decide to fix it, the forward prospects just might pick up their games.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Someone like Nyquist might look good on Bo's wing, actually. I wouldn't take him for more than 5m for 3 years though. Maybe I would do a 5m for 4 years contract.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Someone like Nyquist might look good on Bo's wing, actually. I wouldn't take him for more than 5m for 3 years though. Maybe I would do a 5m for 4 years contract.

3 years or less would be good. I'd honestly prefer him on Pettersson and Boeser's line.

Ideally I'd be looking for a right shot to play with Horvat and Pearson.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I'm interpretating and making educated guesses based on what is pretty obvious the Canucks need. They need players who can play a puck possession game with speed. That's not Ferland.

If they don't go big names, I think they go after players like Nyquist and/or Zuccerello on short term deals.
I hope you're right. That would be a much better approach than the previous track record of signing two way intangible players.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
It's not worked so far, and you have to think that they can identify that they need smarter more skilled players with the puck

My problem with that is I no longer have faith in their ability to identify the appropriate players. If I were gm, the entire pro scouting staff would be revamped. I think the change isn't the skillset they desire, it's they can't evaluate players properly. This has affected everything from player signings to trade. I have no idea how they can give Benning this kind of information and not be embarrassed.

“I knew him from before,” Jim Benning said. “Maybe with other players (a six-year deal) would have been more of a worry, but knowing him from the past, I don’t think that’s something we need to worry about moving forward.
“He’s going to help and he’s going to help our young kids in the future.”
Benning has no concerns about signing Eriksson long term

D3k2FM7XkAIRKdO.jpg:large

Vancouver Canucks: Where are Jim Benning’s defencemen now?
This list of defenseman essentially shows everyone of them out of the NHL after leaving the Canucks. I expect Pouliot to follow suit shortly.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
My problem with that is I no longer have faith in their ability to identify the appropriate players. If I were gm, the entire pro scouting staff would be revamped. I think the change isn't the skillset they desire, it's they can't evaluate players properly. This has affected everything from player signings to trade. I have no idea how they can give Benning this kind of information and not be embarrassed.

I wonder if we'll see a parallel in how interviews with Mike Gillis he laments about not changing up the amateur scouting staff being his biggest regret, but with Benning it'll be the pro scouting.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I wonder if we'll see a parallel in how interviews with Mike Gillis he laments about not changing up the amateur scouting staff being his biggest regret, but with Benning it'll be the pro scouting.
That’s too big of a reach asking Benning to make that connection.

Reactions: vanuck

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
Does anyone else wonder where this team would be if the Canucks did what most of us wanted and drafted Tkatchuk instead of Juolevi?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does anyone else wonder where this team would be if the Canucks did what most of us wanted and drafted Tkatchuk instead of Juolevi?
Well, while one winger isn't going to completely change the Canucks outlook going forward, if the Canucks had drafted Tkachuk they certainly wouldn't have offered ridiculous numbers and term to an agitator like Roussel.

And after Tkachuk's 32 goal season in Calgary, would they still desperately be in the market for a "scoring singer' this off-season?

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I have no idea what kind of changes he made but he needs to undo them. It's actually insane how significantly different the results are.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
No, because its been beaten to death extensively in this very thread.

Someone says "we'd be better with Tkatchuk"
Someone says "If we had Tkatchuk, we wouldn't have Pettersson"

Then a pointless debate about the butterfly effect spanning 3-4 pages ensues and no one learns anything.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Joonas Donksoi would be an interesting target. His production has been around what most would consider 'middle six' so I'm not sure he's the type of player they'd be looking to acquire if the focus is to find someone who can play bigger minutes.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Remember gillis implemented his money ball strategy? What is this exactly? Targeting players who are undervalued at a lower price?

Benning needs to adopt this strategy. Stay away from the big $ fish who end up weighing your team down with money/term/production.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Remember gillis implemented his money ball strategy? What is this exactly? Targeting players who are undervalued at a lower price?

Benning needs to adopt this strategy. Stay away from the big $ fish who end up weighing your team down with money/term/production.
Nothing wrong with going after a big whale, just don't hand out a Moby Dick sized contract to a minnow. (Louis E.)

Reactions: ChilliBilly

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Lol I forgot how insane the roster is right now. Currently have Petey, Bo, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Pearson, Baertschi, and Roussel signed beyond next year; plus Gaudette, Virtanen, Schaller, and Spooner signed for next year.

That’s TWELVE GUYS before getting to RFAs (which includes our third-leading scorer, fifth-highest goal-scorer, eighth-highest goal-scorer, and seventh-highest assist-getter).

THERE ARE SO MANY BODIES JUST FLOATING AROUND

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Lol I forgot how insane the roster is right now. Currently have Petey, Bo, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Pearson, Baertschi, and Roussel signed beyond next year; plus Gaudette, Virtanen, Schaller, and Spooner signed for next year.

That’s TWELVE GUYS before getting to RFAs (which includes our third-leading scorer, fifth-highest goal-scorer, eighth-highest goal-scorer, and seventh-highest assist-getter).

THERE ARE SO MANY BODIES JUST FLOATING AROUND
Key term being floating.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad