Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks felled by Seattle Kraken | 1-6 | Garland

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think it has anything to do with the bump at the boards before, he was open slapped his stick on the ice expecting a pass or deflection from the point and Myers went at him because he was open, but then the defender held onto it instead because he saw Myers coming, Myers already committed to try and take him out and lol did.

The hit Domi made on Joshua last game in the numbers from behind was way worse than this.

Yup, it's kind of a funny nothing play but the end result was an All-Star young player going down with a head injury and you cannot have that kind of stuff happen.

Like I said, if that was Oleksiuk chasing down EP and he went down with a concussion these boards would be flipping out and asking for a multi-game suspension.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I don't understand what the big deal is with Myers hit. Was it illegal? Sure. Was it a dangerous hit? Not really. Beniers was in the middle of the slot tapping his stick for the pass. Myers just made sure he didn't get the pass. Maybe I'll be called a neanderthal but an important part of the game that has been lost is players needing to be aware that they can be hit hard at any point in the game. Everyone now just gets outraged at a clean, hard hit. I get that a lot more is understood now about head injuries and they need to be avoided. But hard, clean hitting is part of what makes hockey great. That will necessarily come with some players crossing the line as Myers did. No big deal IMO.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't get it at all either, if anything he's the only bright spot on the blue line and the only reason most don't like him is because he had a bad sophomore season and he doesn't hit, like that's it an anomaly and an overblown criticism. Especially the hitting part, like this cave man mentality that a d man is only good if he hits is ludicrous.

He doesn't need a babysitter, just a competent top 4 dman partner, which he hasn't had since year one, how people can't grasp this I cannot understand.
He hasn’t been good this season either. Not even close. Clear the lens on your rose coloured glasses. The amount of excuses for Canuck draft picks is hilarious. At least most of you have finally come around on Brock

FuzzyTitus

Dec 17, 2008
Tocchet calling the team out is a good way to see how the team responds. They should be embarrassed and use it as motivation, anyone who cries and whines needs to go.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't understand what the big deal is with Myers hit. Was it illegal? Sure. Was it a dangerous hit? Not really. Beniers was in the middle of the slot tapping his stick for the pass. Myers just made sure he didn't get the pass. Maybe I'll be called a neanderthal but an important part of the game that has been lost is players needing to be aware that they can be hit hard at any point in the game. Everyone now just gets outraged at a clean, hard hit. I get that a lot more is understood now about head injuries and they need to be avoided. But hard, clean hitting is part of what makes hockey great. That will necessarily come with some payers crossing the line as Myers did. No big deal IMO.

I agree with most of this and 99 times out of 100 this would be a selfish/dumb 2 minute penalty. But again, Beniers is a star player who left the game with a head injury so there's a bit more here.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tocchet calling the team out is a good way to see how the team responds. They should be embarrassed and use it as motivation, anyone who cries and whines needs to go.

If any of em who get up in their feelings should look in the mirror, they’ve been dumpster juice this season.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Pretty clear that after a few press availabilities with Tocchet that he has not been brought in to "win now". They have accepted the fate that the team needs major changes. Those are personnel changes and changes in attitude/performance on both sides of the puck. When that became apparent to them it also became apparent that the coaching change needed to be made and they couldn't wait until the end of the year. They are going to use the next 5 weeks to truly evaluate who is staying and who is going. That is why Tocchet was brought in (for this season at least). Not to win but a guy and coaching staff they trust to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I do expect more moves beyond a Horvat trade come the deadline.

I don't think I do.

If anything I expect a similar direction to the last few years of overpaying when possible and dumping players at all-time lows. I expect picks and prospects moved to clear cap to sign guys at top-dollar. Players could have been moved last year or in the off-season and were not. Trades made indicate this is the direction for the year (a 2nd round pick moved to dump Dickinson to allow the trading for Bear, etc).

Reactions: Gurn and BimJenning

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Yup, it's kind of a funny nothing play but the end result was an All-Star young player going down with a head injury and you cannot have that kind of stuff happen.

Like I said, if that was Oleksiuk chasing down EP and he went down with a concussion these boards would be flipping out and asking for a multi-game suspension.
Yeah I understand regarding him being hurt doesn't help the case, but I do find it hard because it wasn't a serious dangerous play just unfortunate by the sounds of it.

I get it regarding EP and fans, I always felt the take down he had against Matheson was a little over blown, yeah it was rough but again unfortunate EP was dazed from it, so maybe the NHL will do something because a head injury happened, so you might be onto something.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I understand regarding him being hurt doesn't help the case, but I do find it hard because it wasn't a serious dangerous play just unfortunate by the sounds of it.

I get it regarding EP and fans, I always felt the take down he had against Matheson was a little over blown, yeah it was rough but again unfortunate EP was dazed from it, so maybe the NHL will do something because a head injury happened, so you might be onto something.

The fans freaked out when EP got tangled up with Kotkaniemi even though it was partially EP's fault.

At least the Matheson one was was a cheap play and not just guys getting tangled up. But yeah, fair comparable to what happened last night and he got 2 games for that if I recall.

Reactions: MS

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
The fans freaked out when EP got tangled up with Kotkaniemi even though it was partially EP's fault.

At least the Matheson one was was a cheap play and not just guys getting tangled up. But yeah, fair comparable to what happened last night and he got 2 games for that if I recall.
Lol I forgot about that one.

I still don't think it was cheap it was rough, more like welcome to the mens league not boys league. It would be cheap if the NHL was a non contact league lol.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lol I forgot about that one.

I still don't think it was cheap it was rough, more like welcome to the mens league not boys league. It would be cheap if the NHL was a non contact league lol.

The Matheson slew foot absolutely was disgusting.

Petey made him look like ass, and he took revenge.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I agree with most of this and 99 times out of 100 this would be a selfish/dumb 2 minute penalty. But again, Beniers is a star player who left the game with a head injury so there's a bit more here.
Fair enough. Head injuries need to be avoided as much as possible. It is a tricky thing to manage since hitting is central to the game. Clearly, headshots can be dealt with by suspensions etc. But even a hard, legal hit can leave a player concussed. There is a level of risk that needs to be accepted by the players.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fair enough. Head injuries need to be avoided as much as possible. It is a tricky thing to manage since hitting is central to the game. Clearly, headshots can be dealt with by suspensions etc. But even a hard, legal hit can leave a player concussed. There is a level of risk that needs to be accepted by the players.

True but this wasn't a legal hit.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
True but this wasn't a legal hit.
I should have said non-headshot hit but it sounded awkward. Any hard hit can lead to a head injury. Many here believe that Aaron Rome's hit on Nathan Horton was legal and possibly led to a shortened career (FWIW - I just watched the hit again and, absent the emotion of the day, I think it was late)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
This is why it's so hard to guage picks. They're just kids, and can get ragdolled by the number of monster players out there. All it takes is one hit, and your shiny new star is never the same. EP didnt finish 2 of his first 3 seasons, Boeser hasn't been able to shoot since his rookie year.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I should have said non-headshot hit but it sounded awkward. Any hard hit can lead to a head injury. Many here believe that Aaron Rome's hit on Nathan Horton was legal and possibly led to a shortened career (FWIW - I just watched the hit again and, absent the emotion of the day, I think it was late)

Does anyone actually believe that the Rome hit was legal, though? I don't think it was a dirty hit, but it was certainly a penalty and I don't think there was ever any debate over it being late or not. The issue is that they brought down basically unprecedented punishment for the right hit delivered slightly late.

Similarly here, if Myers is suspended for like the rest of the year or whatever that'll be absurd, but this wasn't a legal play. There has to be nuance involved here, and I think that nuance is often lost in the discussion surrounding hits that lead to injury.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
The Matheson slew foot absolutely was disgusting.

Petey made him look like ass, and he took revenge.

I grew up watching hockey when it was tougher so our opinions will be different, and especially growing up and playing and experiencing similar plays that were just part of hockey, and to prevent them you got bigger and stronger, just the way it was. You're entitled to your opinion but we won't see eye to eye on that one.

And for the record never saw a slew foot there... Saw a take down.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I grew up watching hockey when it was tougher so our opinions will be different, and especially growing up and playing and experiencing similar plays that were just part of hockey, and to prevent them you got bigger and stronger, just the way it was. You're entitled to your opinion but we won't see eye to eye on that one.

Agree with you about it not being a slew foot.

As for the other part, I also grew up when hockey was tougher. I have games and days that I don't remember due to having my bell rung and getting back out there. I seriously injured people on "good hockey plays." I certainly get nostalgic for that type of play from time to time, but knowing what we know now I absolutely don't want kids today to be in those situations, and I'd be disgusted with myself if I wanted that to happen to people for my entertainment.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
Imo- it is wrong to be upset/annoyed at the Myer's hit if:
the issue is it happened to a star player.
either it is a bad/stupid hit or not, I don't care who it was against.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Slew foot is the part where he kicks Petterssons legs from under him.

I grew up watching hockey in the early 90s too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad