Post-Game Talk: Vancouver Canucks felled by Seattle Kraken | 1-6 | Garland

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Agree with you about it not being a slew foot.

As for the other part, I also grew up when hockey was tougher. I have games and days that I don't remember due to having my bell rung and getting back out there. I seriously injured people on "good hockey plays." I certainly get nostalgic for that type of play from time to time, but knowing what we know now I absolutely don't want kids today to be in those situations, and I'd be disgusted with myself if I wanted that to happen to people for my entertainment.

The blindside hits were dangerous back then because they were trying to kill them I know I was trying, those I agree with taking out of the game because that is dangerous and no I don't want young players getting hurt from those. This still imo was way less then those, this was a battle at the boards and EP got thrown down, yes it was rough I've acknowledge that hence a roughing call, but I didn't think was suspension worthy, and only reason why it was, is because he was dazed, if he never gets dazed nothing would of come out of it.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Its on that video. Where their feet make contact. Is it just tripping in english? Is slew footing not what I think it is?

Look at EPs legs. Obviously.

I don't really see any contact with his legs. Matheson braces himself for the takedown, all upper body.

Not like these:

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Does anyone actually believe that the Rome hit was legal, though? I don't think it was a dirty hit, but it was certainly a penalty and I don't think there was ever any debate over it being late or not. The issue is that they brought down basically unprecedented punishment for the right hit delivered slightly late.

Similarly here, if Myers is suspended for like the rest of the year or whatever that'll be absurd, but this wasn't a legal play. There has to be nuance involved here, and I think that nuance is often lost in the discussion surrounding hits that lead to injury.
Agreed that most of the debate on the Rome hit was the severity of the punishment. But I also distinctly recall "them" breaking down the hit frame by frame to determine exactly how long it was after the puck left Horton's stick. In other words, it wasn't obviously illegal to everyone.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I grew up watching hockey when it was tougher so our opinions will be different, and especially growing up and playing and experiencing similar plays that were just part of hockey, and to prevent them you got bigger and stronger, just the way it was. You're entitled to your opinion but we won't see eye to eye on that one.

And for the record never saw a slew foot there... Saw a take down.

I would add that we were also hyper aware that we could get hit hard and didn't put ourselves in vulnerable positions. I don't know how many times I heard "keep your head up". Now you've got kids skating through the neutral zone looking back for the pass. Every time I see it I cringe.

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

ExarKun80

Jan 26, 2023
This game looked like a Travis Green special.
At least with Bruce we scored a lot and our top players had very good produciton under him. I hope Rick does not bring back the TG days when we got shut out 10-12 games per season.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I would add that we were also hyper aware that we could get hit hard and didn't put ourselves in vulnerable positions. I don't know how many times I heard "keep your head up". Now you've got kids skating through the neutral zone looking back for the pass. Every time I see it I cringe.
Glad I'm not the only one who's been saying that for the last few years. Whatever happened to keep your head up... It's like that doesn't matter anymore and it's kind of mind boggling imo. Like I get players now a days are not supposed to take runs at guys in those situations anymore, but why aren't players held accountable anymore if they skate with the puck with their head down and get hit, it's like they get a free pass for doing that and I don't get it, you're putting yourself into a vulnerable position and that should be on you.

Reactions: iceburg

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
This game looked like a Travis Green special.
At least with Bruce we scored a lot and our top players had very good produciton under him. I hope Rick does not bring back the TG days when we got shut out 10-12 games per season.
Why not? He is our ticket to Bedard.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Has the population density moved so far that it’s better to have an arena in Surrey? I imagine moving to Surrey would mean a lot less access. Yeah you can take the sky train but that’s still pretty far.
Think future, in a decade Surrey will be bigger than Vancouver and not with an arena at the end of a peninsula. No way you can build a new arena downtown unless you take down BC place, which is more multi use than Rogers Arena. Yes downtown is better for walk up, but where do they play if you want to replace Rogers? Maybe Abby.

There was an inclination to move the Giants to Surrey several years ago.

They would be planing at the new rink near the Scott Road SkyTrain. Now that the facility is already redesigned and built, without a huge arena, I don't see another suitable spot near SkyTrain in Surrey.
Yes, but think of the relative costs of buying land and knocking down of buildings. In Surrey you can build a brand new arena. If you want to replace downtown where does the team play? Abby?

Nov 1, 2011
If you can’t carry a pairing you shouldn’t be demanding the big bucks.

So, he is carrying a pairing with basically a #6/7 defenseman beside him...haven't you noticed?

The guy plays 26 mins a night, has 43 points in 44 games and is +7 on a team that has a huge negative goal difference.

Similarly paid defenseman in the team:

Tyler Myers is -4. OEL is -19.

...I don't think Hughes is the problem.

Reactions: MS

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This might have been one of the ugliest games of the season.....even the Kraken fans were trolling us with chants of "Bruce, there it is".

Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe it. Memo to Rutherford: Just maybe it wasn't 'the structure' after all.

Nov 1, 2011
Think future, in a decade Surrey will be bigger than Vancouver and not with an arena at the end of a peninsula. No way you can build a new arena downtown unless you take down BC place, which is more multi use than Rogers Arena. Yes downtown is better for walk up, but where do they play if you want to replace Rogers? Maybe Abby.

Yes, but think of the relative costs of buying land and knocking down of buildings. In Surrey you can build a brand new arena. If you want to replace downtown where does the team play? Abby?

I don't think they are looking to replace Rogers Arena. They aren't looking for the Canucks to move out of Rogers Arena.

Downtown Surrey won't replace downtown Vancouver, it'll just be a different downtown.

That being said, the best place for a new arena would be near Water Front station near the train tracks.

If it's Surrey, it would be along the new SkyTrain line that is headed to Langley on Fraser.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't really see any contact with his legs. Matheson braces himself for the takedown, all upper body.

Not like these:

Had to watch it again.

Guess its more incidental contact with Mathesons leg making Petterssons left leg fly from under him.

Thats the reason he goes flying like he does. But there is no kicking motion.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Not like these:

1674801739260.png

The reason Petey goes flying like that is because his leg is trapped.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
I don't think they are looking to replace Rogers Arena. They aren't looking for the Canucks to move out of Rogers Arena.

Downtown Surrey won't replace downtown Vancouver, it'll just be a different downtown.

That being said, the best place for a new arena would be near Water Front station near the train tracks.

If it's Surrey, it would be along the new SkyTrain line that is headed to Langley on Fraser.
Either would work and downtown would make the most sense, but where can anyone afford? A new site would be faster but $$$$$$$$. More likely a new owner would have the team play in Abbotsford or the Pacific Coliseum while the old arena was knocked down and replaced. Since there is parking and the Skytrain access at Rogers ,it is the best site, but it knocking down and replacing would be crazy money and super time consuming, taking up to 3 seasons. Perhaps more like what Seattle did, refurbish the building completely, but keep the foundation and site.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
He hasn’t been good this season either. Not even close. Clear the lens on your rose coloured glasses. The amount of excuses for Canuck draft picks is hilarious. At least most of you have finally come around on Brock
Why hasn't he been good exactly?

Plus player on absolute train wreck of a defense, averages the most ice time of any dman on the team, on pace for 73 points, exactly what has he been bad at?

Brock has had injury concerns and his dad just died, he hasn't been himself and needs a change of scenery, most of us understand that, rather than supposedly "coming around on him"

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He hasn’t been good this season either. Not even close. Clear the lens on your rose coloured glasses. The amount of excuses for Canuck draft picks is hilarious. At least most of you have finally come around on Brock
Hughes is on pace for historic production as a Dman.

You need to back up your wild takes with something or have them mostly ignored.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It’s always amusing seeing posters be a bit condescending when they themselves have a terrible track record on here. You spent 8 years defending a doofus that sabotaged this team (and ironically, helped cause Boeser’s contract based on the QO). It’s cute that you think you can talk down to others though.

Nov 1, 2011
Either would work and downtown would make the most sense, but where can anyone afford? A new site would be faster but $$$$$$$$. More likely a new owner would have the team play in Abbotsford or the Pacific Coliseum while the old arena was knocked down and replaced. Since there is parking and the Skytrain access at Rogers ,it is the best site, but it knocking down and replacing would be crazy money and super time consuming, taking up to 3 seasons. Perhaps more like what Seattle did, refurbish the building completely, but keep the foundation and site.

What's wrong with the current arena?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone actually believe that the Rome hit was legal, though? I don't think it was a dirty hit, but it was certainly a penalty and I don't think there was ever any debate over it being late or not. The issue is that they brought down basically unprecedented punishment for the right hit delivered slightly late.

Similarly here, if Myers is suspended for like the rest of the year or whatever that'll be absurd, but this wasn't a legal play. There has to be nuance involved here, and I think that nuance is often lost in the discussion surrounding hits that lead to injury.

The Rome hit was a fundamentally clean hit 0.2 seconds late. It should have been a 2 minute interference penalty.

Rome went about that play in a totally clean manner but got the timing very slightly off - like the blink of an eye. And was given the most severe suspension in NHL playoff history. It remains absolutely insane.

What Myers did there was worse than either of the Pettersson injury plays. The Kotkaniemi play in particular was a total nothingburger with no intent and this fanbase absolutely freaked out. If that was our player we'd be losing our minds about that play and wanting a 5+ game suspension.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
What's wrong with the current arena?
Old, with a need to replace the seats and other upgrades. It isn't like the need to do it today, but within 5-10 years it will begin to look shabby and the systems for a lot of the communications were put in over 25 years ago. I am not privy to what has been done since, but the Aquamen are not known for keeping their properties in great shape. A friend of mine was in charge of the all the information systems put in before the Grizzlies left and you can bet the Aquilinis have done little to upgrade since, other than adding more food and booze areas.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Uhhh 1st paring partners don’t come cheap. Do you think Hedman plays with min wage player? Who is Makar’s partner? Adam fox’s partner?

You have some crazy unrealistic expectation
No realistic is how do you pay his babysitter lmao im unrealistic

Nov 1, 2011
No realistic is how do you pay his babysitter lmao im unrealistic

What point do you think you're making?

Quinn is doing a very good job with #6-7 defenseman as his partners (now PPG and +9).

What more do you think he should be doing?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad