Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
That will be a position of last resort for the league. They want play out the season to ensure playoff positions are kosher. But, yeah, it looks like it could come to that from the reports of how some of the players are doing.

The only 'good' thing to take from this is that the most severely affected are being treated by IV drip at home. That means their symptoms are not deemed severe enough for hospitalization - ie. respiratory. Dehydration is actually pretty common for COVID-19 because in the young, the virus can manifest as a severe GI infection. Can't keep anything in or down. Definitely makes recovery slower though.

Nah, Vancouver or Buffalo will be given a top-five pick at this rate. Only way Vancouver is back in it is if they calculate it by point percentage or give an extra game each day for opposing teams to make up for the missed ones.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Sent you a message

thanks.

here is the reply from Bruins which will be in Tomorrow’s Boston Globe courtesy of my friend and Bruins writer Matt Porter.

Readers ask a bag full of questions about the Bruins, like ‘Have they been fully vaccinated?’ - The Boston Globe

Have the Bruins have been fully vaccinated? — Wally Amorin
The question was referring to an Edmonton Journal story from last week that made reference to US-based players “getting vaccinated since early March [and] teams such as the Boston Bruins ... getting fully vaccinated,” while Canadian teams are not.
Our inquiry with the Bruins revealed the opposite. “That’s not accurate,” a team spokesperson wrote. “When players and staff are eligible under Massachusetts state guidelines, our medical staff will be there to assist and support as needed.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't know if they broke protocols but if the protocols allowed for practices after a positive test then the protocols were shit.

The current protocols were designed to minimize the chances of an outbreak while allowing the players to live a (mostly) normal home life.

If the NHL wanted, they easily could have played the entire season in a bubble and has basically zero chance of anything happening but there was obviously no appetite among the league personnel (coaches/players/refs/etc) to actually live in a bubble for 6+ months.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
hey i appreciate your insight... from an insider's perspective what is the current mandate? I personally feel that Canada has been pretty unpopular in all this but the most realistic; i.e. vaccines can't keep up with the evolution of the virus, so that worrying about the gross public, (not the 70+ crowd) we should just wait it out until there is a cheap, easily distributed and administered vaccine to actually make a dent in the numbers. I know first hand that ANY sense of "return back to normal" is immediate party with your friends and kiss them on the mouth for good measure

Shoes, the only insider news I have was that our grocery chain was scheduled to receive AstraZeneca vaccines , and then it was suspended due to the blood clot news. Meanwhile, the BC health dept is trying to use up the AstraZeneca doses on people, 55 to 64 years old, before the vaccine expires.

Generally, I am pretty uninformed about the news but I responded to the other poster because I can spot BS when I see it.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Nah, Vancouver or Buffalo will be given a top-five pick at this rate. Only way Vancouver is back in it is if they calculate it by point percentage or give an extra game each day for opposing teams to make up for the missed ones.
It's not that. I'm not under any illusion that the Canucks will make the playoffs. It's that TO, WPG and EDM have games to go against VAN. To sort out who ranks first in the North could come down to who gets to beat down on the Canucks how many times coming down the stretch. If the games are forfeited, it's advantageous to whomever has already soaked up a bunch of games against the Canucks.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
NHL and BC government should have shut down Canucks season after the first time Canucks coach removed mask to talk to players on the bench which is breaking protical. So many NHL coaches are doing this and government is tolerating it. Today before puck drop of second period of Dallas stars game Rick Boness pulls down mask to talk to players and allowed to coach during second period. Then he is taken out of game during second intermission for potential covid . I get the feeling nhl bullied or told governments exactly what they wanted to hear in order to not have nhl bubble cities. Nhl doesn't care about safety it only cares about profits and only pretends to care so they wont be criticized and lose revenue.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
NHL and BC government should have shut down Canucks season after the first time Canucks coach removed mask to talk to players on the bench which is breaking protical. So many NHL coaches are doing this and government is tolerating it. Today before puck drop of second period of Dallas stars game Rick Boness pulls down mask to talk to players and allowed to coach during second period. Then he is taken out of game during second intermission for potential covid . I get the feeling nhl bullied or told governments exactly what they wanted to hear in order to not have nhl bubble cities. Nhl doesn't care about safety it only cares about profits and only pretends to care so they wont be criticized and lose revenue.

I saw DJ Smith spitting on the bench during the game verses the Jets.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rick dhaliwal who has close tides to the Canucks says a lot of the players not even think it’s worth playing anymore.

Shut em down I don’t even think the players want to resume.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its a stressful time for people. You know what doesint help? When members of the media, sports and general included start fear mongering and over exaggerating so that people click on their links. Are the canucks sick? Yes is Covid serious? Yes. Stop reporting it like its the black death and that half the canucks team is in serious danger. We need sensible people especially during non sensible times.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Really hope the players are alright long term. I hope the season continues, but it sucks the nature of a team sport has put guys in a dangerous situation.

Reactions: Number8

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Its a stressful time for people. You know what doesint help? When members of the media, sports and general included start fear mongering and over exaggerating so that people click on their links. Are the canucks sick? Yes is Covid serious? Yes. Stop reporting it like its the black death and that half the canucks team is in serious danger. We need sensible people especially during non sensible times.

who or what specifically are you taking issue with?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
What sort of ramifications might the league be considering in their decision on ending the Canucks season? Schedule, financial impact, affect on broadcast partners ect...

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Hoping Canucks players (and everyone) heal up well. Really disturbing to hear of young super fit kids (at least for me) getting ill. These variants are changing things, again. Stay healthy everyone. Mask up and get your shots as soon as you can.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hoping Canucks players (and everyone) heal up well. Really disturbing to hear of young super fit kids (at least for me) getting ill. These variants are changing things, again. Stay healthy everyone. Mask up and get your shots as soon as you can.

This verison of COVID is more like a bad case of food poisoning/flu so it really sucks for people under 40. It does not produce respiratory symptoms much which limits its ability to a degree to be as dangerous in terms of death but its more likely to cause a player to miss 2-3 weeks vs a few days

Reactions: leafsgirl12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad