Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I am a grocery worker in Vancouver, and we were scheduled to receive AstraZeneca, but it was suspended last week and there are no other vaccines available for people under 55. Now, we are back in the queue by age group and it is 72+ right now.

It is ok to repeat what you read or hear, but you should check for accuracy if you want to be taken seriously.
Are you even reading that I'm writing? I said that grocery workers were part of the group coming up. BC is expecting to update the schedule in the next two days.

Does it really matter a difference? You're taking about tens of thousands of workers. They can't wait for 40 nhl players and staff, who are forced to travel in airports multiple times a week. They risk not only to themselves and their families but spread to various communities due to their travel. All so we can be entertained.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
Here in NY they opened vaccinations up to over 50. Drug stores are now giving the shots, got my 1st of 2 last Monday .. they said they were getting about 20 people a day for the shot.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are you even reading that I'm writing? I said that grocery workers were part of the group coming up. BC is expecting to update the schedule in the next two days.

Does it really matter a difference? You're taking about tens of thousands of workers. They can't wait for 40 nhl players and staff, who are forced to travel in airports multiple times a week. They risk not only to themselves and their families but spread to various communities due to their travel. All so we can be entertained.
Don’t NHL teams, like the Canucks fly on charters, if not their own planes? I don’t think they are in with regular air passengers.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
b078ae060f5f7ed9714abc1e94442621595c2aae.jpg
get it done Bettman

Reactions: Mighty Makar

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Don’t NHL teams, like the Canucks fly on charters, if not their own planes? I don’t think they are in with regular air passengers.
The airport is just as dangerous. You have people coming in and out from all over the place in an air controlled environment. They also move once in the destination city. It's not good for anyone.

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018
Here in NY they opened vaccinations up to over 50. Drug stores are now giving the shots, got my 1st of 2 last Monday .. they said they were getting about 20 people a day for the shot.

That's nice. Here in Germany there always has to be at least one doctor present so this wouldn't be even possible. And you have to fill out about 7 forms. *le sigh*

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The airport is just as dangerous. You have people coming in and out from all over the place in an air controlled environment. They also move once in the destination city. It's not good for anyone.
I agree tha5 airports are nasty for transmission, but NHL players aren’t in with the regular crowd. They fly on charters and team planes.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver

The current group is 72+, and I gave you insider information that we are not part of the next group coming up, which I tend to believe more than the assurances given by an outsider that repeats something he read, who knows how long ago. AstraZeneca will not be administered to people under 55 in BC. Keep believing what you read.

I can live without the entertainment, if that means the entertainers are at risk. You sound like a line jumper in real life.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Agree to disagree

I don’t see how anyone can argue they should be vaccinated ahead of 1st responders, essential workers or anyone who is much more likely to die from the virus
I think you’re wasting your time pointing out your position. You’ve stated your reasoning and did it very well and patiently. Unfortunately some people are only here to argue and will spend a lifetime trying to change your opinion. I agree with you btw.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Wow, this is an absolutely terrible take. We have at least one player on an IV, another fearing for the life of his young, terminally ill daughter, and others questioning whether it’s worth it to keep playing.

Antibodies alone don’t show up in tests for 5-7 days, and everybody has been tested as infected in the span of a few days. The practice being allowed to continue didn’t infect anyone else, they all got it from an asymptotic patient 0 beforehand. This is the most transmissible variant in the world, and you’re saying that despite taking all the precautions they could, they’re “stupid?” Does that make senior homes stupid for having an outbreak? How about factories?

Terrible, terrible post.
There’s clearly been some sort of breakdown in protocol that allowed things to spread as widely as it did

it’s terrible that these players are having issues and I hope they all recover.

And if the players don’t want to play anymore this season, that’s on them and I respect that choice.

But the NHL isn’t going to stop for one team and probably shouldn’t tbh

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Do the players get paid the same no matter how many games they play, except for injury/illness of course? Just wondering if the Canucks play no more games would they all get paid less?

They get paid regardless of injury/illness status. It'll be interesting if someone like Hamonic chooses not to come back even if healthy.

Players will likely get a suspension (gets them off team's cap), but with or without pay? :dunno:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Shut the Canucks down, they werent making the playoffs anyway it’s best to just end their season and let the teams that followed COVID protocols continue. We can determine their draft pick by points percentage.

Reactions: Riggins

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Shut the Canucks down, they werent making the playoffs anyway it’s best to just end their season and let the teams that followed COVID protocols continue. We can determine their draft pick by points percentage.
What did the team do to break the COVID protocols? I must have missed those details. I tried catching up but it’s been a lot of speculation.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
What did the team do to break the COVID protocols? I must have missed those details. I tried catching up but it’s been a lot of speculation.
I don't know if they broke protocols but if the protocols allowed for practices after a positive test then the protocols were shit.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know if they broke protocols but if the protocols allowed for practices after a positive test then the protocols were shit.
Oh for sure. I was just asking if there were protocols broken. But I agree with you. If that’s what happened it’s a head scratcher.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
The current group is 72+, and I gave you insider information that we are not part of the next group coming up, which I tend to believe more than the assurances given by an outsider that repeats something he read, who knows how long ago. AstraZeneca will not be administered to people under 55 in BC. Keep believing what you read.

I can live without the entertainment, if that means the entertainers are at risk. You sound like a line jumper in real life.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
hey i appreciate your insight... from an insider's perspective what is the current mandate? I personally feel that Canada has been pretty unpopular in all this but the most realistic; i.e. vaccines can't keep up with the evolution of the virus, so that worrying about the gross public, (not the 70+ crowd) we should just wait it out until there is a cheap, easily distributed and administered vaccine to actually make a dent in the numbers. I know first hand that ANY sense of "return back to normal" is immediate party with your friends and kiss them on the mouth for good measure

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Definitely need to call the season on the Canucks now. That basically costs them a month of their season.
That will be a position of last resort for the league. They want play out the season to ensure playoff positions are kosher. But, yeah, it looks like it could come to that from the reports of how some of the players are doing.

The only 'good' thing to take from this is that the most severely affected are being treated by IV drip at home. That means their symptoms are not deemed severe enough for hospitalization - ie. respiratory. Dehydration is actually pretty common for COVID-19 because in the young, the virus can manifest as a severe GI infection. Can't keep anything in or down. Definitely makes recovery slower though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

the nhl protocols were not designed to eliminate the risk of a covid outbreak. they were designed to reduce the risk. the idea of playing hockey in a pandemic was always risky. everyone decided to take the risk. a teamwide outbreak caused by a super spreader was a risk from the beginning.

the nhl protocols have worked fine until now, far into the season. they have failed here either because a more contagious variant is in play here or with a "super spreader" situation.

Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad