Vancouver Canucks COVID-19 Breakout (No unrelated covid talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Except that they could opt out and survive unlike those that don’t make millions

And the biggest difference being what they do is not essential

If this P1 blows everything up in Canada then we can expect the NHL North to shut down completely. It won't be missed and the Cup can stay south.

The players can still opt out of the season. They made most of their money.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
If this P1 blows everything up in Canada then we can expect the NHL North to shut down completely. It won't be missed and the Cup can stay south.

The players can still opt out of the season. They made most of their money.
Its an underestimated possibility. One more outbreak and I think its over for the North.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From what I can see, the last game Vancouver played was in Vancouver against Winnipeg on March 24th.

Winnipeg then goes on to play Calgary and Toronto. Calgary then went and played Edmonton.

Depending when this virus took hold, there is a possibility of this thing showing up in three more teams.

...so how quickly do these tests work, and how long can someone have the virus before it shows up in one of those tests?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
There may be a loophole to allow the players get vaccinated. I understand that B.C. government has been looking at vaccine priority based on a couple of criteria:
-if there is a bad breakout increase in certain region or settings
- if the workers (whether in mass production, farm, warehouse setting) where social distancing is impossible and the facility ventilation is poor to not able to allow good air circulation required to lower chance of infection.

By these two criteria you could argue that when the players play or practice, they cannot wear mask nor social distance due to the nature of the games and there is some mentions that ice arena does not have the best air ventilation especially closer to ice level and the freezing temperature is exactly what Virus thrives on.

If the Canucks players cannot opt out and must play to complete the season, I think they can be included in the group that needs to be vaccinated due to their working condition, once recovered fully , not because hockey is important but more because of that NHL did not exactly help the players to make a safe choice or provide the means to do so (as evident by so many games cancelled so far). Other teams should proactively get the vaccination too. The only thing I can think is that if was not for money the NHL should probably waited for the Covid herd community to work before kicking off their season, even it means delaying hockey for a year. Anyway there is no going back now, so they should work with the Canadian government to get the vaccination done for the players, refs, coaches, and trainers.

For goodwill, NHL if allowed to jump the vaccination queue, should find creative ways to pay back by either helping out with the local vaccine roll out effort, donate large amount to local hospitals, small businesses heavily impacted by the pandemic, or young families heavily impacted by lost lives due to the pandemic.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
There may be a loophole to allow the players get vaccinated. I understand that B.C. government has been looking at vaccine priority based on a couple of criteria:
-if there is a bad breakout increase in certain region or settings
- if the workers (whether in mass production, farm, warehouse setting) where social distancing is impossible and the facility ventilation is poor to not able to allow good air circulation required to lower chance of infection.

By these two criteria you could argue that when the players play or practice, they cannot wear mask nor social distance due to the nature of the games and there is some mentions that ice arena does not have the best air ventilation especially closer to ice level and the freezing temperature is exactly what Virus thrives on.

If the Canucks players cannot opt out and must play to complete the season, I think they can be included in the group that needs to be vaccinated due to their working condition, once recovered fully , not because hockey is important but more because of that NHL did not exactly help the players to make a safe choice or provide the means to do so (as evident by so many games cancelled so far). Other teams should proactively get the vaccination too. The only thing I can think is that if was not for money the NHL should probably waited for the Covid herd community to work before kicking off their season, even it means delaying hockey for a year. Anyway there is no going back now, so they should work with the Canadian government to get the vaccination done for the players, refs, coaches, and trainers.

For goodwill, NHL if allowed to jump the vaccination queue, should find creative ways to pay back by either helping out with the local vaccine roll out effort, donate large amount to local hospitals, small businesses heavily impacted by the pandemic, or young families heavily impacted by lost lives due to the pandemic.
You could also argue NHL players should get priority because they stand to lose millions in their yearly salary and mere plebs on minum wage only stand to lose $15,000.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
T
From what I can see, the last game Vancouver played was in Vancouver against Winnipeg on March 24th.

Winnipeg then goes on to play Calgary and Toronto. Calgary then went and played Edmonton.

Depending when this virus took hold, there is a possibility of this thing showing up in three more teams.

...so how quickly do these tests work, and how long can someone have the virus before it shows up in one of those tests?

My understanding is the average from time of exposure to actually having Covid symptoms is 5 or 6 days. While it can be longer I would think it should have shown up by now as we are almost 2 weeks since the Jets played them. But I'm no disease expert it's just what I've read.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I still can't compute how Travis Hamonic thought the bubble last year was too dangerous, but traveling with a team across Canada in and out of airports and dressing rooms, sitting on the bench, no masks was doable.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Not good, hopefully it doesn't have any long-term impacts on any of the players

This is exactly the only thing that matters here. Who gives a flying f*** about potential implications regarding NHL season or anything related to that...

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

They played the Jets on the 24th, The first positive case wasn't for 6 days after. It has already been almost 14 days, if there were going to be positive cases on other teams we would have started to see them by now.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The airport is just as dangerous. You have people coming in and out from all over the place in an air controlled environment. They also move once in the destination city. It's not good for anyone.

That depends a lot on the airport. The Golden Knights, for example, departs and arrives at the McCarran Executive Terminal, which is separate and extremely less trafficked than the public terminals.

Also a big factor is baggage contact. team bags on private flights don't commingle with public bags even in airports where charters use public gates.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
This might be more a question for Gary but with all the seats empty in the arena, why are the players sitting shoulder to shoulder on the bench? Surely contractors could have come in and done some modifications.

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
This might be more a question for Gary but with all the seats empty in the arena, why are the players sitting shoulder to shoulder on the bench? Surely contractors could have come in and done some modifications.
I like this, also keep 6' away from opposing team members during faceoffs just give centers longer sticks it's pretty simple to me.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
That depends a lot on the airport. The Golden Knights, for example, departs and arrives at the McCarran Executive Terminal, which is separate and extremely less trafficked than the public terminals.

Also a big factor is baggage contact. team bags on private flights don't commingle with public bags even in airports where charters use public gates.

Even being on the chartered flights is an issue. Yes most people work with their co-workers, but how many are expected to sit in a confined space like an airplane for hours at a time, and multiple times a week. If one person on the plane has Covid, the chances of them spreading it to multiple people is vastly increased.

The way I see it is that hockey players are front line workers. They are front line workers with vastly increased risk of transmission due to the nature of their job. It's not just the airplane but also the actual hockey playing. They're on a bench with the other players. They are training and playing with and against other players, who themselves have been travelling.

I just can't see how, in good conscience, you allow NHL games to happen without vaccinating the players first. It's such a small group of people, who are at so much risk of contracting Covid.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Even being on the chartered flights is an issue. Yes most people work with their co-workers, but how many are expected to sit in a confined space like an airplane for hours at a time, and multiple times a week. If one person on the plane has Covid, the chances of them spreading it to multiple people is vastly increased.

The way I see it is that hockey players are front line workers. They are front line workers with vastly increased risk of transmission due to the nature of their job. It's not just the airplane but also the actual hockey playing. They're on a bench with the other players. They are training and playing with and against other players, who themselves have been travelling.

I just can't see how, in good conscience, you allow NHL games to happen without vaccinating the players first. It's such a small group of people, who are at so much risk of contracting Covid.

That's their choice. They are not front line workers. They are not providing a product people need to survive. They made a choice to play. They made a choice knowing that they weren't going to get vaccinated. There were always risks. They did their best to mitigate those risks. In a situation like this it wasn't enough. However, that doesn't mean they get any more special treatment than any other non-essential business in that province, or in this country, just because we like watching hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad