GDT: Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres, Jan. 13, 2024; 4:00 pm EST - CHECK THE WEATHER

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Think of the mess the Canucks were last year and look at them this year. It's possible to make some improvements just by changing the staff.

It also helps that they fleeced Hronek off the Wings.
I just think of Tavares playing on the island under absolute clowns Gordon and Fred Flinstone and thinking how much better he could've ended up becoming if he had played for actual NHL quality coaches. The same thing is happening here, any sane person can see it except the people in a position to do something about it.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I will also give props to Allvin for his frequent minor tinkering moves to his depth. Blueger, Lafferty, Beauvellier, shuffling Studnicka out to help their pro depth... there are more but I would have to look them up. That's since July.
And getting Z for essentially peanuts. Built a team to beat its competition in the division and conference.

Reactions: Chainshot

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Saddest part is, they'll go through the rest of the season like this, maybe winning two in a row a couple more times, but finish behind where they were last time.

Adams will give nothing but excuses, injuries, blah, blah, blah, meanwhile announcing his complete trust in all the players and coaches. He'll mention he'll take the offseason to look to see about "acquiring players who want to be here" spending between $750K and $1.2M for a couple no names.

Rinse, repeat. 13, 14, 15 years without playoffs.
he'll pay those 1.2 mill players between 1.7-2.5 mill since they want to be here so badly.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Think of the mess the Canucks were last year and look at them this year. It's possible to make some improvements just by changing the staff.

It also helps that they fleeced Hronek off the Wings.

NGL I thought Detroit made out on that initially. There was a game against the Sabres last year where Detroit lost 6-x and Hronek was like a -8. Might be the worst NHL level defenseman game I can remember seeing in this decade, and that includes some statement games from the likes Casey Fitzgerald, Will Butcher, and Jacob Bryson.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You've made a bunch of posts about "not producing". He isn't putting up points, yes. And yet he is regularly one of their best forwards. I get it, people don't always see the game the same way, but repeating that comment every now and then in different threads doesn't mean that Benson has been poor.

He is a fan fav because he puts out effort (I'd say that is more of a damning indictment against the rest of the team that they are being outworked by such a large degree by an 18 year old rookie)

However, he's hit the wall production wise. If our leaders were actually putting out some effort, Benson would not be standing out to the degree he is

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is a fan fav because he puts out effort (I'd say that is more of a damning indictment against the rest of the team that they are being outworked by such a large degree by an 18 year old rookie)

However, he's hit the wall production wise. If our leaders were actually putting out some effort, Benson would not be standing out to the degree he is

He puts in effort and plays the right way. His stick detail and positioning are yet again amazing. He does the little things that win games. He would still be doing those things and still be part of this team doing that because there is no way they have 12 other players that capable to ice on a nightly basis. Yes, he does things most of the rest of the roster doesn't do. That's why some of us were so high on him going into the draft - it was clear from watching him in Winnipeg that he was going to be like that at the next level. He does things that win at the NHL level - draws contact, initiates contact, uses his stick to contest pucks. Those things aren't things most NHLers do all together all the time and he's doing them at 18 already.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
He puts in effort and plays the right way. His stick detail and positioning are yet again amazing. He does the little things that win games. He would still be doing those things and still be part of this team doing that because there is no way they have 12 other players that capable to ice on a nightly basis. Yes, he does things most of the rest of the roster doesn't do. That's why some of us were so high on him going into the draft - it was clear from watching him in Winnipeg that he was going to be like that at the next level. He does things that win at the NHL level - draws contact, initiates contact, uses his stick to contest pucks. Those things aren't things most NHLers do all together all the time and he's doing them at 18 already.

Nobody is saying Benson does not put in the effort and play the game the right way. He's just a bit overmatched at the moment

Ideally, he should be in the AHL to develop a bit more as he is good enough for the professional game, but not producing at the NHL level. We just cannot send him there

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nobody is saying Benson does not put in the effort and play the game the right way. He's just a bit overmatched at the moment

Ideally, he should be in the AHL to develop a bit more as he is good enough for the professional game, but not producing at the NHL level. We just cannot send him there

You have made a bunch of posts that he shouldn't be playing because of point production. Everything he is doing is going to produce points and wins. He isn't overmatched.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Good game against the most potent offense in the league. Zero puck luck on the Tuch and Cozens crossbars in the 3rd. Liked the pushback once the game started to get chippy, but the team really isn't built for that.

UPL solid again. And lookie here!
1705192244531.png

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I know TOI is janky today due to *points at the 2nd period as a whole*.......

But RJ leading the Sabres in 5v5 TOI and looking good while doing it is impressive.

On the other side:

Benson with a team-low 8:44 5v5 TOI when he was CLEARLY feeling it is a fireable offense.
I feel like Granato has got away with a few of these this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad