Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because Vegas had absolutely no leverage. Who was even in this sweepstakes ? Anyone but Vancouver at all ? Schmidt also has a pretty extensive NTC. Vegas had to make a move or the Pietroangelo contract would've gotten voided tomorow which they of course didn't want to happen.

This is not a normal offseason. Things with value don't return value and if you want to dump something without value you have to pay out of your ass to get rid of it.
Are you sure about this?!?!.... Teams can be over the cap by 10% in the offseason. Id love to see a quote where a contract gets 'voided'. This isnt a cap dump of an average player that is slightly over paid. This was a trade for a top pairing d man in his prime with a good contract. Your argument only makes sense if the player isnt worth the contract but he clearly is. Pietrangelo is better but they got terrible value.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Are you sure about this?!?!.... Teams can be over the cap by 10% in the offseason. Id love to see a quote where a contract gets 'voided'. This isnt a cap dump of an average player that is slightly over paid. This was a trade for a top pairing d man in his prime with a good contract. Your argument only makes sense if the player isnt worth the contract but he clearly is. Pietrangelo is better but they got terrible value.

Yes . Vegas would've been more over the Cap than 10% if they didn't make a move . League would not have accepted the Pietro deal .

Also i'm not so sure Schmidt is actually a first pairing guy . He played that in Vegas but at times was overmatched defensively . More of a really good 2nd pairing guy imho.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

29 with 5 years left is not a good contract.

Vegas was not going to get value. They're up against the cap, and they wanted to sign a bigger name. They're lucky they didn't have to add a pick of some kind.

Reactions: LFCTML

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Vegas just swapped out a #2 defenseman for Pietrangelo and they do not care one bit that it's to Vancouver. They know that they are head and shoulders above every other team in the Pacific.

Agreed, but: Thatcher Demko and the Canucks came ONE GOAL away from sending them packing in the second round of the playoffs. Might not have been a good idea to make that particular team defensively better for almost nothing.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Very nice get for Vancouver. Better than paying the assets OEL was going to cost or paying Tanev his money over 4 years.
Benning has handed his crown to Bergevin.
But this just puts them almost back to the level they were at last season which is a team that will be life of death to make the playoffs.
Have to wonder what they could have done if he only signs half of those dead contracts on the books right now.

Reactions: Waterbuf

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wasn't a fan of their offseason so far, but this is a great move for a 3rd. If things go terrible wrong and they buy out Schmidt when his salary drops before the 2023-2024 season, you're only looking at 2.5ish on the cap for 2 years followed by 2 years of under 1.5ish. The risk is definitely worth the fear in the long run.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
For Petro, Dahlstrom and a 4th, and actually they've gained cap space too 12.5m out, 9.6m in, but all in all its at least close to even, if not an improvement for Vegas? Isn't it?
Maybe. Only time will tell. Vegas needs centers and traded from a point of weakness. The defense was already good. Pietrangelo was never the player that could push the Blues over the hump when their lack of centers were an issue. It took adding ROR to get them there. That doesn't mean Vegas will have the same issue but we will find out.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'm not really sure I understand your argument.

Do you think PKing is a better measure for defensive trust than 5v5 defending a lead, and especially defending against an empty net?
I bolded the flaw in your comment. I doesn’t appear this is the case

ijuka

May 14, 2016
6mil AAV for a 30 point player, 5 years of term left. 29 years of age.

I guess it depends on when the decline is but personally, I'm surprised this has positive value.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Man, not even when they make a huge steal are all of the fans happy.
They have beagle, roussel, eriksson, Baertschi, and Ferland wasting $20m in cap space. I could go on but I won’t.

They get a good top 4 dman for nothing but their still capped out with their 2 best players on ELC’s.

With a good manager the Schmidt deal is an addition to their core. Not a replacement of 4 players they just couldn’t afford.

The Canucks are put together very sloppily and it’s very frustrating because you could see the past moves and how they’d impact the teams future and it’s playing out just how many expected.

Good young talent. A bunch of crap. It’s not reallly much different than the Oilers or Sabres of recent years.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
29 with 5 years left is not a good contract.

Vegas was not going to get value. They're up against the cap, and they wanted to sign a bigger name. They're lucky they didn't have to add a pick of some kind.
If you’re that concerned about age and contract length, you must really hate AP being signed to a seven year contract at 8.8 million per year at the age of 30. In that case, Vegas received a third and paid an extra three million to be in a worse situation.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Why are you typing in all caps.
Tanev is a warrior, a very good defensive player, but was starting to finally show a bit of rust, which is fair to say.
Offensively, Tanev is a blackhole, unless he hangs out with Quinn who gave him a few points this year for sure.

Schmidt is a better shooter, He is better offensively by quite a big margin.
He is just as good, and arguably better defensively, going against 98% of top matchup's.

This is not a home run, this is a grand slam trade.
Any other year, This player gets a 1st rounder and a top prospect in return.

I'm quoting the original poster.

I love Schmidt. (Vegas is my second team and I there isn't a team I've watched more other than the Canucks) He is an upgrade on Tanev. This is the best trade we've seen in a long time.

But to say he's a "massive upgrade" is having too high of expectations on Schmidt and a disservice to Tanev. I feel many people haven't watched Schmidt that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad