Confirmed Trade: [VAN/VGK] Nate Schmidt for 2022 3rd round pick - Part II

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
29 with 5 years left is not a good contract.

Vegas was not going to get value. They're up against the cap, and they wanted to sign a bigger name. They're lucky they didn't have to add a pick of some kind.
Not a chance, with his skating 5 years is absolutely fine.

6mil AAV for a 30 point player, 5 years of term left. 29 years of age.

I guess it depends on when the decline is but personally, I'm surprised this has positive value.
30 point player. What a lazy description. He had 31 points in 59 games this year.... He plays against the other teams best players and doesnt get first pp time. Does anyone even watch the games anymore?

The only reason I see this happening is he nixed trades with almost every team interested. Anyone saying he has no value needs a new hobby. Its INCREDIBLY obvious he is a very good player.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

I guess it depends on when the decline is but personally, I'm surprised this has positive value.

Jesus :facepalm: .....I hope I missed the implied " :sarcasm: " in this post

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Is Nate Schmidt really worth almost $6 million? $1.45 million more then Tanev?

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Markstrom/Tanev were cheaper..? And they likely could have re-signed Markstrom for $5.5

Obviously Holtby 2 year term, and then full Demko ..but still not sure this looks that great

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm quoting the original poster.

I love Schmidt. (Vegas is my second team and I there isn't a team I've watched more other than the Canucks) He is an upgrade on Tanev. This is the best trade we've seen in a long time.

But to say he's a "massive upgrade" is having too high of expectations on Schmidt and a disservice to Tanev. I feel many people haven't watched Schmidt that much.

That I agree with. He is absolutely an upgrade over Tanev and his contract is going to age better, his v02 Max is one of the best in the NHL and so is his skating. He also doesnt have alot of wear and tear on his body as most 29 year olds as he went the college route and has less than 400 nhl games player. These are factors that people seem to be unaware of, overlooking to push a narrative or just simply do not understand.

Reactions: ugghhh

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Markstrom/Tanev were cheaper..? And they likely could have re-signed Markstrom for $5.5

Obviously Holtby 2 year term, and then full Demko ..but still not sure this looks that great
As an outsider I love it for the Canucks and I have no horse in this race. Love the two year stop gap from Holtby with a chip on his shoulder and alot to prove while the real goaltender of the future is Demko.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Is Markstrom going to be worth that $6 million in years 4-6 though? That's the concern the Canucks had with Markstrom, term and the requirement to have a NMC.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

This is such a strange perspective. How is 31 points in 59 games while playing hard minutes not good production for a d-man? How is 29 old? How is 34 when his deal expires an albatross?

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If you’re that concerned about age and contract length, you must really hate AP being signed to a seven year contract at 8.8 million per year at the age of 30. In that case, Vegas received a third and paid an extra three million to be in a worse situation.

Why would I be concerned? I don't care about Vancouver or Vegas. I have enough to worry about with Doughty's age and term.

I know all too well that anyone around the age of 30, with more than a year on their contract, is difficult to move. Especially for anything in return.

And yes, Vegas probably has to win sooner rather than later. They're getting older and more expensive every year. It's not going to get easier.

Not a chance, with his skating 5 years is absolutely fine.

30 point player. What a lazy description. He had 31 points in 59 games this year.... He plays against the other teams best players and doesnt get first pp time. Does anyone even watch the games anymore?

The only reason I see this happening is he nixed trades with almost every team interested. Anyone saying he has no value needs a new hobby. Its INCREDIBLY obvious he is a very good player.

Not a chance what? I'm not talking about him as a player. The contract, especially in this context, has little value.

On the ice, Schmidt has value. In a trade, for Vegas, when they need to clear cap, he has little value. I believe that was proven yesterday.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
damn son.... as a Canucks fan this just made me feel a whole lot better about our offseason

Goaltending we take a step back in the short term to take a step forward in the near future. There will be a point in time when Demko is better than Markstrom, whether it be 1, 3 or 5 years down the road.

Personally, I feel that at this stage Schmidt and Joulevi/Rathbone will be every bit as good as Tanev and Stecher. We know that our D didn't work with CT and TS in the lineup, so even if it is a wash (or slight upgrade /downgrade because I know everyone will argue that point), it is a much needed different look. We are getting more mobile on the back end and better offensively. I do still think we add another D to play on our bottom pair, if that's the case, we will be improved on D.

I think that Toffoli was offered a short term deal, MTL stepped up and gave 4 years. We have Boeser, EP, Horvat, Miller in our top 6 currently and for the forseeable future, and Hoglander/Podkolzin will be pushing for spots in the next year or two. I get not wanting to lock Toffoli in for 4 years, although I probably would have done it, he was a good fit. If we can get a cheap stop gap guy like Athanasiou, Duclair, Kahun, Granlund, Maybe even Kovalchuk who may feel the squeeze of the league running out of cap space, this could turn into a good move short and long term.

We will have a different look for sure, will certainly be working some youth into the lineup, which I am a fan of.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

The term on both the Tanev and Markstrom deals is the challenge. For good or ill, the Canucks contending window is truly only going to open after EP40 and Hughes re-sign. I love Tanev, but he’s probably not going to get less injured with time (people touting his healthy year this year should note he was injured in the last game before the season was cancelled and he was expected again to be out for weeks). For Markstrom, I think he could be a Vezina nominated guy next year. But the Canucks see promise in Demko (and Dipietro) - and cost-controlled goalies during the Cup window could be a boon too. If the Canucks sign those two deals, they start to affect the window more than the deals they signed this offseason.

Also, small thing: Holtby AAV is $4.3M.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Canucks fans who don't like this are:

1. Only fans of the Canucks and are emotionally tied to the players we lost. Don't know Schmidt, and can't see how he could possibly be as good.

2. Benning haters (I've already said enough about my thoughts on them).

3. Have no sense of context. For those who think Tanev is currently in the same stratosphere as Schmidt. You do realize that Tanev played beside a young superstar D whose skillset happened to combine perfectly with Tanev's skillset (and increasing shortcomings as he ages), right?
I love Tanev and I say this with no disrespect. People who don't think this trade was incredible for the Canucks would also have thought that Rob Brown and Warren Young were superstars (if they actually knew who these players were).

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Goaltending we take a step back in the short term to take a step forward in the near future. There will be a point in time when Demko is better than Markstrom, whether it be 1, 3 or 5 years down the road.

Personally, I feel that at this stage Schmidt and Joulevi/Rathbone will be every bit as good as Tanev and Stecher. We know that our D didn't work with CT and TS in the lineup, so even if it is a wash (or slight upgrade /downgrade because I know everyone will argue that point), it is a much needed different look. We are getting more mobile on the back end and better offensively. I do still think we add another D to play on our bottom pair, if that's the case, we will be improved on D.

I think that Toffoli was offered a short term deal, MTL stepped up and gave 4 years. We have Boeser, EP, Horvat, Miller in our top 6 currently and for the forseeable future, and Hoglander/Podkolzin will be pushing for spots in the next year or two. I get not wanting to lock Toffoli in for 4 years, although I probably would have done it, he was a good fit. If we can get a cheap stop gap guy like Athanasiou, Duclair, Kahun, Granlund, Maybe even Kovalchuk who may feel the squeeze of the league running out of cap space, this could turn into a good move short and long term.

We will have a different look for sure, will certainly be working some youth into the lineup, which I am a fan of.

VAN huge win with this deal. Many commented about the financial cost is about $1m per too high, but the trade cost of only a 3rd and locked for the next 5 year. Schmidt is LH, but prefers RD and could play both.

Flexibility is key to partner with Hughes or play LHD. Much better than the other options ie. OEL, Barrie, Zadorov etc. This is an outright steal and only risk is being a slight salary overpay.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why would I be concerned? I don't care about Vancouver or Vegas. I have enough to worry about with Doughty's age and term.

I know all too well that anyone around the age of 30, with more than a year on their contract, is difficult to move. Especially for anything in return.

And yes, Vegas probably has to win sooner rather than later. They're getting older and more expensive every year. It's not going to get easier.

Not a chance what? I'm not talking about him as a player. The contract, especially in this context, has little value.

On the ice, Schmidt has value. In a trade, for Vegas, when they need to clear cap, he has little value. I believe that was proven yesterday.

Top pairing d man at 6 million is terrific value. The cap is still 81 million. He is going to play more than anyone on the team do the math.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Holtby 4.8
Schmidt 5.95

Markstrom 6
Tanev 4.5

Don't omit that JM signed for 6 years with full move protection on a buyout proof deal. Why would the Canucks offer that when we have Demko ready to go after developing him for 6 years?

dman34

May 6, 2011
29 with 5 years left is not a good contract.

Vegas was not going to get value. They're up against the cap, and they wanted to sign a bigger name. They're lucky they didn't have to add a pick of some kind.

Nate Schmidt will be 33 when the contract is over. How is that "not good"?? lol

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Schmidt's contract is bad when you look at comparable players. Still surprised he only yielded a 3rd rd pick. But 5.95 with the dead cap may be too rich for many teams, and maybe why the Canucks only gave up a 3rd rd pick to acquire him. Hard to see a future 3rd rd pick having the impact of Schmidt. Good trade by the Canucks to use the cap situation to benefit from the inefficiencies of the market place.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Top pairing d man at 6 million is terrific value. The cap is still 81 million. He is going to play more than anyone on the team do the math.

I'm talking about trade value from the perspective of the Knights. I'm not talking about what Schmidt does for Vancouver on the ice.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
Is Markstrom going to be worth that $6 million in years 4-6 though? That's the concern the Canucks had with Markstrom, term and the requirement to have a NMC.

The other concern I had with markstrom is will he regress to what we have seen the vast majority of the time he was in Vancouver- an average goalie. He had 1.5 great years in vancouver - i suspect some of that had to do with how Green/Baumer implemented their d strategy - he ate a ton of pucks from the outside due to the passive nature of the Canucks system in the d zone. Will he be able to keep improving in Calgary as he ages...i doubt it. 6 years is way too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad