Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I really don’t get why the Leafs traded Leivo, and signed Nylander. They kind of need a Leivo type player way more than a ?Nylander’s type plater, don’t they?

Babcock clearly just never liked Leivo and wasn't going to play him once the numbers game came around. It's been reported that Dubas made some kind of agreement with Leivo that if he wasn't going to play in Toronto, he would trade him.

Good for us then, Leivo has been a solid player here.

Reactions: Hit the post

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
That's kind of wishful thinking no? 5 forward prospects ready to play in the NHL next season?

Anyways, Leivo is the type of addition a team like the Canucks should be making. He's been good to decent so far. His future (if any) is probably on the bottom 6 and so far he hasn't really been used in a defensive capacity to gauge how he would play when not given offensive opportunities.

They are pretty deep and have a bunch of prospects on the same timeline.

Trevor Moore ~ ufa
Carl Grundström ~ 2016 2nd rd pick
Pierre Engvall ~ 2014 7 rd pick
Mason Marchment ~ ufa
Yegor Korshkov~ 2016 2nd rd pick

Levio was a good pick up, everyone liked him, good team guy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They are pretty deep and have a bunch of prospects on the same timeline.

Trevor Moore ~ ufa
Carl Grundström ~ 2016 2nd rd pick
Pierre Engvall ~ 2014 7 rd pick
Mason Marchment ~ ufa
Yegor Korshkov~ 2016 2nd rd pick

Levio was a good pick up, everyone liked him, good team guy.

I can see a couple of those guys competing for a spot/making it like Trevor Moore, but "ready to play in the NHL next season" is a huge stretch for other guys. The Leafs themselves have enough depth where I can't even see 3 of those guys cracking the roster nervermind 5.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I can see a couple of those guys competing for a spot/making it like Trevor Moore, but "ready to play in the NHL next season" is a huge stretch for other guys. The Leafs themselves have enough depth where I can't even see 3 of those guys cracking the roster nevermind 5.

I never meant to say that 5 will make the team, just that 5 maybe NHL ready and possibly Moore and Grunstrom crack it.

Reactions: F A N

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Is he playing right now or injured?

Does it matter? He is just another filler who gets some ice time while the team is looking for a better option. At least he didnt cost much but probably just as useless as a Granlund, Leipsic, Motte, Megna, Vey and whoever the buffons brought it.

Reactions: Homer J Benning

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All of these Granlund/Leivo type moves are the same old nothing.

Trade a youngish middling prospect who's running out of time to make the NHL for a slightly older waiver-level player who has essentially already run out of time but has at least met the baseline of being able to sort of kind of but not really play in the NHL, feed him opportunity and watch him produce moderate numbers for a while only to eventually fizzle out into nothing. Trade is declared a win even though nothing of value was actually gained.

I don't like the approach, personally. You're basically just closing the door on slightly possible but extremely unlikely surprises just to get a safer minor bump in quality that doesn't even matter.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Trade a youngish middling prospect who's running out of time to make the NHL for a slightly older waiver-level player who has essentially already run out of time but has at least met the baseline of being able to sort of kind of but not really play in the NHL, feed him opportunity and watch him produce moderate numbers for a while only to eventually fizzle out into nothing. Trade is declared a win even though nothing of value was actually gained.

I don't like the approach, personally. You're basically just closing the door on slightly possible but extremely unlikely surprises just to get a safer minor bump in quality that doesn't even matter.
This isn't what Carcone is. He's 22, 5'10, has never played an NHL game or scored consistently in the AHL. He's nearly valueless. Fans of both teams almost uniformly consider Leivo to have been an excellent gamble in exchange for him.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
If they both seem valueless, then maybe it's not worth complaining about.

That itself is true, but then you have guys saying Leivo is a trade win and a future top 6 winger just because he scored a goal in his first game with us its getting stupid. As long as everyone agrees that this was a nothing for nothing trade then I dont think anyone will complain.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Yes. This is a good way of describing what I was trying to say at the time of the trade

Reactions: timw33

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
we needed nhl wingers who could fill in in an offensive role without giving up value and that's exactly what we did. I think leivo could be an nhler long term personally but it really doesnt matter we still need to roster a team this year and i like the idea of leivo playing up with horvat/ep more than schaller etc.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I still think Leivo brings elements that this team doesn't have. He should have more points than he does IMO. Comparing him to Granlund is grossly unfair to Leivo.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Leivo is the kind of player I want in our middle / bottom 6. Young with actual strenghts (board play + shot) with room still to grow. Instead of the summer signings of Beagle, Rousell and Schaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad