Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TOR] Vancouver acquires Josh Leivo in exchange for Michael Carcone.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I don't think this is a characteristic trade by Benning as much as it addresses a current issue directly. If Leivo can play top six minutes at all, he gives the team options. He is good without the puck. He is strong defensively (hearsay, ain't seen him). He has some size. If he isn't totally gritless this is a win. This doesn't seem like a Benning thing?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think this is a characteristic trade by Benning as much as it addresses a current issue directly. If Leivo can play top six minutes at all, he gives the team options. He is good without the puck. He is strong defensively (hearsay, ain't seen him). He has some size. If he isn't totally gritless this is a win. This doesn't seem like a Benning thing?

I would say that if he had a good shot and knows how to use it (which seems true) and that was coupled with the other things in your post that then you have a guy who finds his way to more ice time on his previous team. That’s a complete player. A player every coach loves. But he didn’t. I don’t think that’s something that can be simply glossed over with “coach didn’t like him or too much depth”. History would suggest something else. But let’s see what happens.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
After a couple of viewings,..I've been impressed...Mostly with his vision,he does not just throw the puck away (or does a bunch of dazzle dazzle and lose the puck.. Leipsic,Etem)..He's very aware where his line mates are on the ice....

Maybe he can do for EP,what Burrows did for the Sedins..Get in on the forecheck,and retrieve the puck.

So far,so good.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
How does Leivo have anything to do with not having a losing mindset? And what happened with Hall? You mean he got traded away by an incompetent GM?

This team has been inarguably the worst NHL team over the last four seasons. I can't speak to the players mindsets, but by the very definition this is a loser team.
Hall ever won with the team that drafted him. The way your GM is spoken about on these threads and his record on and off the Ice. I could see you guys trying your hyped up prospects away like what happened to Hall. Hall was their for more years then 1 if you remember he didn't just get traded away. Lol. They failed pretty much all labels to break out this season then the next season. Etc. It shows the players they are still playing for this season not to just collect pay checks.

hillbilly hockey

Jul 22, 2016
But he's not top 10, that's just in your mind. The Utica posters have been down on Carcone until his recent hot streak. Just because he skates fast doesn't make him a top player.
Sorry a little slow responding to this. MS isn't totally wrong with where Carcone is. Let's put some facts I know to be true. Carcone played limited time first year with Utica as all rookies do. Didn't get his groove that year but it's relatively normal. Now his second year was a little disappointing at the start. Here is the thing, he got extremely sick near the end of Vancouver's camp last year but still managed to get through Utica's. Problem he didn't get better at season start, lost 15lbs and spent 3 months finally getting it and his full strength back. This is where you see his performance improve during the Utica playoff run last season. Now not 100% sure why he got dropped at Van's camp start of year but it carried over where he was forced to sit as healthy scratch first of the season with Utica. Now he is one of the best forward players and skaters currently. Not an accident or streak. The selfish play we have been seeing may have been a result of his treatment and him trying to make a point to management. The truth is he is young, and does have talent and probably would make all us armchair critics look stupid on the ice. Good luck to him.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Small offensive players that don't produce anything in their first two pro years are the definition of career AHLers. A home run for JB as he got something for nothing. There is no way Carcone plays 10 games in the NHL. He is clearly less talented then Shinkaruk or Valk who will never be NHL players. Leivo is still only a bottom 6 guy but a different level of ability.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Leivo being big and having hands is huge. People are talking in the GDT about Baertschi coming back and the crunch on the wing...well we essentially have everyone but Josh and Jakey undersized forwards who are either grinders or "skilled" (Remember Loui is in this list).

I just think he brings a dimension to the team that nobody else can right now. The closest thing would be if Gadjovitch figures it out suddenly which doesn't look like it's going to happen. Or we trade for a similar guy which means we'll be bleeding assets again, OR we draft him which will bring delays, OR we sign a UFA who we might overpay (or just get the wrong one). And that's in a UFA year where there might be some d-men available which we need more.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think Leivo being big and having hands is huge. People are talking in the GDT about Baertschi coming back and the crunch on the wing...well we essentially have everyone but Josh and Jakey undersized forwards who are either grinders or "skilled" (Remember Loui is in this list).

I just think he brings a dimension to the team that nobody else can right now. The closest thing would be if Gadjovitch figures it out suddenly which doesn't look like it's going to happen. Or we trade for a similar guy which means we'll be bleeding assets again, OR we draft him which will bring delays, OR we sign a UFA who we might overpay (or just get the wrong one). And that's in a UFA year where there might be some d-men available which we need more.
Agree..the last thing I think about Baertschi (and I do like him as player) is envisioning him winning a board battles and coming up with the puck..You need a guy to do the spade work.
Boeser does not get his hat trick if Leivo isn't behind the net tying up the StL D.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lol all these leaf fans sound like Bruin fans talking about Schaller

Leivo stinks and won’t move the needle at all, the only plus here is we didn’t move a pick for more age gap junk

The negative is Utica is even worse off
Care to reconsider after seeing him for a few games? Leivo was one of my favorite player on the leafs, despite having Matthews Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Rielly...I would have gotten rid of Marleau, Brown, Ennis, Gauthier, Lindholm before I would have dropped Leivo, heck I'd even consider trading Johnsson ahead of him.

He is capable of 20+ goals and has a good cycle game, and will create lots of chances to score. He could be a core piece for you by the end of the year.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I swear people love to make the same mistakes, remember when Leipic was lighting up the lamp with Horvat right after being acquire by the team and everyone was screaming about how we "stole him".

Lets wait a few games before thumping chests.

Even with him gone, the Leipsic trade was a good one. I'd do it over everytime for Philip Holm.

The Leivo trade is another good one too. Benning has done some bad trades but the Leipsic and Leivo ones are not one of them.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Even with him gone, the Leipsic trade was a good one. I'd do it over everytime for Philip Holm.

The Leivo trade is another good one too. Benning has done some bad trades but the Leipsic and Leivo ones are not one of them.

The Leipsic trade turned into a nothing for nothing swap, hardly something I'd call a win.

I would have personally claimed Zykov instead of trading an asset for Leivo, I'm happy with him so far, but it's far from a deal I'd be praising Benning for.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I swear people love to make the same mistakes, remember when Leipic was lighting up the lamp with Horvat right after being acquire by the team and everyone was screaming about how we "stole him".

Lets wait a few games before thumping chests.

for the record, Leipsic always had terrible possession numbers, while Leivo has always had great ones.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Leivo seems like a big team first guy.

Did you see the way he was soo Happy for Elias w. The tying goal tnt or how excited he was for Brocks hattrick goal the other night.

Both those goals could have easily been mistaken foe Leivo's but hes quick to point out that it wasnt his, always team first.

Aside from that i really like his board play and presence in the danger zones around the net.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
for the record, Leipsic always had terrible possession numbers, while Leivo has always had great ones.
Aren't you the same poster who claimed Bozak was better than Kesler because of empty non contextualized stats? Or was it Matt Stajan...

Come on now Zeke

Reactions: Mido

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He'll be our Brock Nelson

good combination of size / skating
18 -22 goals. 45 pts
Plays a honest north / south game down the wing
Can win puck/board battles and provides some forecheck.

Good enough to be a 2nd liner if he doesnt need to carry the line otherwise a very effective 3W

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Even the best coaches do make odd decisions sometimes (re: players they favor/guys seeminglingly always in the dog house).

"zeke" - The best poster of the Leafs board on FI.:bow:
Babcock plays a lot of favourites and makes bad decisions as a result. Leivo got the right kind of usage with the Leafs for a short time in 2016-17 as the result of an injury, then tried to make him a 4th liner in defensive usage to say "we gave him a chance" after that. If you guys keep using him the way you are, you're going to be very happy with the result, he always looked like a terrific support player for a scoring line and his upside might be very surprising

this trade is going to be a regret for Leaf fans,
signed,
A Leaf Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad