Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
My dude...

Leipsic himself has accomplished more at the NHL level than Johnsson. Nobody really cares what he did in the AHL on stacked, veteran, overpaid Marlie teams.

I wouldn’t trade Leipsic for Johnsson alone.

Then you’re adding 18 year old Jett Woo just drafted in the 2nd round for AHL fodder. Sorry, I get you’re a Leafs fan who thinks he is trending up, but literally every team in the league has “Holls” that are worth zilch. 26 year old minor league player. Zero value.

This is a bad trade, no other way around it.
Leipsic was once a Leaf... and with that familiarity I don’t think there’s a single Leaf fan who would make that trade straight up.

I think that after seeing Johnsson at the end of last season with the Leafs, many had him ahead of Kapanen.

Leipsic’s ceiling is a grinder, Johnsson’s is top-6.

But agreed that Holl carries little value, and the difference between Leipsic and Johnnson isn’t Woo.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
the kid has only gotten 21 NHL games with limited minutes, and has 3goals/6pts.

how about giving him more than a handful of games? best player in the AHL by a lot last year, and that includes Kapanen and Sparks

Pulkinnen was the best player in the league before at the same age. You act like 6 points is impressive?

Reactions: eviohh26

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Leaf fans have been trying to sell high on Johnson all off season.... he might become a solid NHLer at some point but that's likely not going to be on the leafs… and he wont ever be valued at what he could become.

I just cant see him getting much more than a 3rd, maybe a 2nd from a desperate team
That's pretty close to what woo is though.

I'm not saying Vancouver should do it. Neither team should.

But some people acting like johnsson is worthless and woo carries so much value, when realistically it's no different than what he was drafted for just a couple of months ago, are out to lunch.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
A total of 17 NHL games (according to hockeyDB, might not be fully updated) for a 23/26 year old players and you expect us to give up our 2nd round pick from this past year? If you want to just swap for Leipsic then sure whatever but you sure the hell aren't getting Woo in that deal for some AHL fodder....

Reactions: joe dirte

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Leipsic is not any good and would not take a roster spot from any player on the Leafs. He and Holl are both AHL'ers.

Johnsson has looked bad this year but I'd rather have the reigning AHL playoff MVP as my healthy scratch than a guy who gets healthy scratched on the Canucks.

I don't blame Vancouver fans for not liking this deal because of Woo, but I hate this deal too.
And thats the thing, from a Canucks view we would much rather keep Woo, he seems like he might be a decent second pairing one day or at the worst bottom pairing with a bit of snarl. You're better off keeping Holl and honestly I can't see what people think Leipsic is, dude can dance with the puck but he's never going to be better than a 4th liner at best on a regular team.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's pretty close to what woo is though.

I'm not saying Vancouver should do it. Neither team should.

But some people acting like johnsson is worthless and woo carries so much value, when realistically it's no different than what he was drafted for just a couple of months ago, are out to lunch.

No i said johnson would get a 3rd possibly. Woo is 19 and a project, johnson is much older and not establidhed at nhl level.

They arnt close

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No i said johnson would get a 3rd possibly. Woo is 19 and a project, johnson is much older and not establidhed at nhl level.

They arnt close
A project just taken in the mid second round.

Those who have paid attention to Johnsson would likely say he is an nhl player. He will never be a star but hes nhl capable.

Again I dont know why this is a discussion. The leafs have no use for jet woo anyway. And the OP tried to say it was really leipsic he wanted. That makes NO sense. They cut him loose because they had no use for him. And he ended up in waivers. He probably doesn't even make the leafs. They're gonna trade for him to put him back on the marlies? Why???

Last edited:

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
lots of delusional leaf fans in here. the leafs never lost leipsic on waivers. they lost him in the expansion draft, thats totally different. he was simply the best player left exposed by them
moreover playoff ahl mvp means squat. look at the winners in the past 35years. how many were impact nhlers? lol

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Those who have paid attention to Johnsson would likely say he is an nhl player. He will never be a star but hes nhl capable.

Again I dont know why this is a discussion. The leafs have no use for jet woo anyway. And the OP tried to say it was really leipsic he wanted. That makes NO sense. They cut him loose because they had no use for him. And he ended up in waivers. He probably doesn't even make the leafs. They're gonna trade for him to put him back on the marlies? Why???

Not sure why you keep saying mid 2nd when 37th is quite clearly early. It's also kind of meaningless when players taken around that range are usually rated anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd depending on the team/ranking. For example, Woo was rated higher than Sandin in many rankings. Would you trade Sandin for the 2016 version of Pulkinnen who was doing even better than Johnsson? I sure hope not.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I think woo was a strong candidate to be a 1st round pick.... he has a lot of upside and is costcontrolled/young for a long period of time.

No one is saying Johnson sucks, he just doesn't have much trade value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad