Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Whats the likely hood you guys sell some vets at deadline to stock pile more prospects/picks

Edler/Tanev/sutter/grandlund etc?

Realistically we maybe trade one of those guys (ideally Edler).
Ideally, we trade 2 or 3 of them like Edler and Granlund. Then move Sutter out next season when his modified NTC kicks in. Tanev we're in no rush to trade unless someone gives a good offer like the Hamonic return.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I havnt seen/heard much on Woo since draft(wanted Anaheim to try and grab him)… but I imagine he is part of the big picture/plan in Vancouver.

This is correct. Our head scout loves him and zero reason to trade him Especially for that package.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I'm going to respond to GoodbyeLuongo, because he was able to respond to my post without using extreme examples and mockery to make a point. Take note:

My issue was with saying Johnsson "isn't valuable", which means "has no/very little value".

Since 2005-06, almost every 25-or-under skater who has won Calder Cup MVP has been a good, serviceable player:

Tyler Bertuzzi, Oliver Bjorkstrand, Jordan Weal, Tomas Tatar, Chris Bourque are the 5 sub-25 forwards to win it before Johnsson. Mostly 3rd-line scoring talents.

Johnsson was developed slowly. We let him marinate in the SHL for a while, where he won SHL Rookie of the Year. Again, not a guarantee of success but the following notable skaters have won that since 2005-06:

Elias Pettersson, William Karlsson, Patric Hornqvist, Niklas Backstrom, Johan Larsson, Mattias Ekholm

I think he has good pedigree and is going through a bit of a sophomore slump. As someone who watches him game-in-and-out, with both the Leafs currently and the Marlies historically, his motor and his offensive IQ is very high and should serve him well at the NHL level. He could hold his own as the third-best forward on a #1/#2 line, or be a great depth option at #3.

I'm not advocating or fighting for this trade in any way. I don't give a crap about this proposal, and I don't want to trade Johnsson. And I'm not saying Johnsson is a budding superstar, but I'll say something when I feel a player is being undersold, especially by a known Leafs fan antagonist (who I realize is not a Canucks fan).
You said he has “huge upside”. I’m telling you, no prospect 7 years after his draft year who can’t crack and NHL roster has “Huge upside”. His upside is a 3rd/4th line winger who can chip in offensively.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
If toronto traded their 29th for another 2nd and 3rd in the last draft, woo was one of the players i wanted the leafs to select (along with sandin).

With that being said, this trade favors the leafs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Not that Vancouver does this deal but it's incredible how much people shit on Johnsson around here. Stop pretending you've seen him play much. Y'all go to DB and pretend you know something.

Reactions: joe dirte

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's closer than treating Johnsson and Holl like NHL players.
Johnsson is an NHL player. Did nobody watch him last year at the NHL level? The same season he lit up the AHL and led his team to a Calder cup. He gets scratched a few games this year and he's not an NHLer? Because theres a long list of great young NHL players who have been scratched in the past.

Reactions: joe dirte and Mork

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The reigning AHL Calder Cup MVP isn't valuable? He's had a rough start to the season but has a huge amount of upside.

Oh Getz2perry, you'll never stop trolling Leafs threads, will you?

A guy who still can't get a regular NHL spot in his draft +6? Like I said before he's in the Piri/Pulkinnen/Vatrano territory of worth nothing right now.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
^ But unlike those guys, he uses his skating to create offensive opportunities and does not get exposed defensively. If he returns to his puck possession numbers last year, then the deal would favor the canucks, but until he does, woo is the most valuable piece of the proposed trade so far.

Johnsson played primarily in the defensive zone last season and managed to breakeven corsi-wise.

https://www.tsn.ca/johnsson-adds-to-toronto-s-impressive-forward-depth-1.1047763

There’s another source from tsn that breaks it down further. Only problem is whether he can return to this impact.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Johnsson is an NHL player. Did nobody watch him last year at the NHL level? The same season he lit up the AHL and led his team to a Calder cup. He gets scratched a few games this year and he's not an NHLer? Because theres a long list of great young NHL players who have been scratched in the past.

Oh please. He’ll be lucky to play 150 games in the NHL. He’ll have to fight every year for a spot on a NHL roster.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Probably has less to do with scratching and more to do with his whipping 21 NHL games in his draft +6 and totaled a whole 6 points...

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There should definately be a spot somewhere in the NHL for a guy like Andreas Johnsson but if there's one thing Vancouver isn't lacking right now it's these types of depth players. We could have used him from around 2015-2017, but since then we've acquired too many young tweener type players.

Where the Canucks are really hurting on the other hand is defense. So yeah makes no sense to trade Woo.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I tend to agree with you on Johnsson, however Vancouver is in the shape they are in because of 2nd round picks. That’s sarcasm to a degree but poor asset management and risk on older “NHL ready” players. Added 2nd round picks in deals with Gudbransson and Sutter, 2nd for Vey. Even as far back as Kassian/Prust deal. To finally have a scouting staff in place that’s had more hits than ever before, it’s not worth the risk for what might be a solid 3rd liner. Woo may never make the NHL but the risk/reward for Woo at this point outweighs any value add Johnsson is over Leipsic.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Ultimately TOR needs a role player/agitator in their bottom 6. Leipsic is just right.

Holl is a good player and could add depth to VAN. There seems to be a major log jam on TOR's RHD now.

Johnsson is a struggling in a 4th line role but could be good for VAN in a more offensive role. He was a solid player for the Marlies last year and helped the team win the AHL championship.

Woo is the add on to even out this trade.
Why would the Leafs bring back Leipsic?????

Reactions: Mork

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not that Vancouver does this deal but it's incredible how much people **** on Johnsson around here. Stop pretending you've seen him play much. Y'all go to DB and pretend you know something.

were not shitting on him, it's just that he's not even a NHL player.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Probably has less to do with scratching and more to do with his whipping 21 NHL games in his draft +6 and totaled a whole 6 points...
Whopping I think you mean? (Auto correct?). Hes a 7th round pick, were you expecting him to be an NHL regular by age 20?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I tend to agree with you on Johnsson, however Vancouver is in the shape they are in because of 2nd round picks. That’s sarcasm to a degree but poor asset management and risk on older “NHL ready” players. Added 2nd round picks in deals with Gudbransson and Sutter, 2nd for Vey. Even as far back as Kassian/Prust deal. To finally have a scouting staff in place that’s had more hits than ever before, it’s not worth the risk for what might be a solid 3rd liner. Woo may never make the NHL but the risk/reward for Woo at this point outweighs any value add Johnsson is over Leipsic.
Easily the best explanation in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad