Proposal: (VAN/TOR) Jett Woo, Brendan Leipsic for Andreas Johnsson and Justin Holl

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure why you keep saying mid 2nd when 37th is quite clearly early. It's also kind of meaningless when players taken around that range are usually rated anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd depending on the team/ranking. For example, Woo was rated higher than Sandin in many rankings. Would you trade Sandin for the 2016 version of Pulkinnen who was doing even better than Johnsson? I sure hope not.
Oh?

I think central scouting was the only scouting agency that had woo higher.

Here is a list of a pile of rankings and it's near unanimous sandin is better. Most by a reasonably significant margin.

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Woo would fall in as 3rd or 4th best d prospect for the leafs. They literally have no use for him. The leafs habs tonnes of depth they need one top pairing guy, and woo doesn't project to that. So why would they acquire a project that even if he pans out in 3 or 4 years out does nothing for the leafs?

The Canucks are rebuilding. The leafs are a top team. They have no use for a kid like woo. The Canucks do. The same can be said of leipsic, the leafs habs bo need at all. Case closed, keep your project.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I think woo was a strong candidate to be a 1st round pick.... he has a lot of upside and is costcontrolled/young for a long period of time.

No one is saying Johnson sucks, he just doesn't have much trade value.

Most rankings had him well outside the first. I don't care how much upside you think he has, no teams thought he was worth their first.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Reid Boucher has been a PPG player in the AHL lately. So because neither Sandin or Durzi have done anything, Boucher is obviously more valuable. See how flawed that logic is?
And now hes on one of the best forward rosters in the league. Boucher couldn't crack one if the worst.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
I appreciate the thought behind this proposal.

But Vancouver isn’t likely to be trading any D prospects. Woo was a high 2nd. Projects as a Hamonic like dman. He’ll need a few years of development, but he’ll be a rock imo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Most rankings had him well outside the first. I don't care how much upside you think he has, no teams thought he was worth their first.
No team thought Johnson was worth their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.

Whats your point.. your logic kinda sucks

Reactions: joe dirte

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Oh?

I think central scouting was the only scouting agency that had woo higher.

Here is a list of a pile of rankings and it's near unanimous sandin is better. Most by a reasonably significant margin.

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

Woo would fall in as 3rd or 4th best d prospect for the leafs. They literally have no use for him. The leafs habs tonnes of depth they need one top pairing guy, and woo doesn't project to that. So why would they acquire a project that even if he pans out in 3 or 4 years out does nothing for the leafs?

The Canucks are rebuilding. The leafs are a top team. They have no use for a kid like woo. The Canucks do. The same can be said of leipsic, the leafs habs bo need at all. Case closed, keep your project.

In 3-4 years you'll absolutely need the cap space that ELC players like Woo will provide. It's crazy logic to not give up your 13th forward for a vastly superior value just because it's not your biggest need. Doubt you'd see Tampa fans turning down Erne for Woo.

Reactions: eviohh26

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No team thought Johnson was worth their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th.

Whats your point.. your logic kinda sucks
There is a difference between no one valuing you as worth their first 10 games ago vs bo one valuing you worth their first 5 years ago, but then you develop into a player that cracks one of the best rosters in the league.

As time passes prospects can progress into something better, or not. Johnsson has. That's yet to be seen with woo.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
In 3-4 years you'll absolutely need the cap space that ELC players like Woo will provide. It's crazy logic to not give up your 13th forward for a vastly superior value just because it's not your biggest need. Doubt you'd see Tampa fans turning down Erne for Woo.
But it's not superior value. And you assume woo will crack the leafs. Which is actually unlikely he ever will. And johnsson was playing on the third line.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'll ask again, do you think Pulkinnen or Vatrano were worth an early 2nd? Being a healthy scratch for 1/3 of the games so far would mean you're the 13th forward.
Back then? Possibly.

At this point, no.

I mean if you're going to try play that game, would you trade a player who provides a contending team depth for a player like Libor hajek? That was the last dman taken at 37th.

The funny thing is, Adam erne was drafted near the same spot as woo.

Why would the leafs, a contending team, trade away depth for a player that is unlikely to ever crack a lineup? Its precisely the opposite of what they should be doing right now. An injury or two on the wing, and he'll be in the top 6. And injuries WILL happen.

We went through all these conversations last year, when all of HF told us how terrible kasperi kapanen is. Leaf fans saw the guy could play, and would be a good piece to the leafs.

Rinse. Repeat.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Leipsic > Johnsson
Woo >>> Holl

From a value standpoint.

Nucks get crushed. No reason for them to do this at all.

Johnsson is miles better than leipsic.

Leipsic couldn't crack the leafs lineup when they werent near as good as they are now.

He would be a top 6 winger on the Oilers. Potentially their second best winger, if you consider draisaitl a centre.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Back then? Possibly.

At this point, no.

I mean if you're going to try play that game, would you trade a player who provides a contending team depth for a player like Libor hajek? That was the last dman taken at 37th.

The funny thing is, Adam erne was drafted near the same spot as woo.

Why would the leafs, a contending team, trade away depth for a player that is unlikely to ever crack a lineup? Its precisely the opposite of what they should be doing right now. An injury or two on the wing, and he'll be in the top 6. And injuries WILL happen.

We went through all these conversations last year, when all of HF told us how terrible kasperi kapanen is. Leaf fans saw the guy could play, and would be a good piece to the leafs.

Rinse. Repeat.

Yes, you absolutely trade a guy who can't be a regular at 24 for Libor Hajek. I like how all of a sudden Woo is "unlikely" to ever crack the Leafs D like they have a great defense.

24 year olds who can't crack the NHL consistently are found anywhere, go look at the waiver wire or we'll give you Frk for a 7th.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, you absolutely trade a guy who can't be a regular at 24 for Libor Hajek. I like how all of a sudden Woo is "unlikely" to ever crack the Leafs D like they have a great defense.

24 year olds who can't crack the NHL consistently are found anywhere, go look at the waiver wire or we'll give you Frk for a 7th.

The leafs dont have to have a great defense for that to be true. Statistically a player taken near that range are unlikely to make the NHL. Couple that with the fact that the leafs habs better prospects at the position say they need johnsson more. Hes a middling prospect, why are we acting like hes a blue chipper???

We dont want frk. We are happy with johnsson.

Again, all the same crap that we were told about kapanen.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Johnsson is miles better than leipsic.

Leipsic couldn't crack the leafs lineup when they werent near as good as they are now.

He would be a top 6 winger on the Oilers.

Johnsson has one point and Leipsic had very similar AHL numbers - on the same damn team as Johnsson.

Johnsson would be a third liner on the Oilers, just like he is for you - and even if you think Johnsson has more value than Leipsic, you could offer a dozen clones of Holl and Vancouver wouldn’t give up Woo. That’s like us offering Keegan Lowe for Sandin.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson has one point and Leipsic had very similar AHL numbers - on the same damn team as Johnsson.

Johnsson would be a third liner on the Oilers, just like he is for you - and even if you think Johnsson has more value than Leipsic, you could offer a dozen clones of Holl and Vancouver wouldn’t give up Woo. That’s like us offering Keegan Lowe for Sandin.

Correct, holl isnt worth a 7th round pick I agree. Leipsic isnt either. That's why he was put on waivers.

And the leafs wouldn't have any interest in woo to begin with.

The only winger you have better than johnsson is RNH.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Correct, holl isnt worth a 7th round pick I agree. Leipsic isnt either. That's why he was put on waivers.

And the leafs wouldn't have any interest in woo to begin with.

The only winger you have better than johnsson is RNH.

Lucic is better, he’s just overpaid. Rieder is better as well. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto will be better. Other than that, yes, our wingers suck almost as much as this offer sucks for Vancouver.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lucic is better, he’s just overpaid. Rieder is better as well. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto will be better. Other than that, yes, our wingers suck almost as much as this offer sucks for Vancouver.
Nah, hes better than every one of those.

This offer sucks for the leafs too.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson better than Lucic. Now I’ve seen it all
Lucid is garbage these days.

What I dont get is, I'm being told that it would be smart to trade johnsson for a prospect because in 3 or 4 years he MIGHT provide inexpensive depth.

But the leafs need that now (and more importantly next year), and that's what johnsson is providing right now.

So why would we trade that away for middling futures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad