Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TBL] Jason Garrison, Costello, 2015 7th Rounder from VAN for 50th pick

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
You guys just made out like bandits. He had an underwhelming year last year (although still top 4 material) but he has proven in the 3 seasons prior to that that he can go up against the best and come out ahead. Don't expect much puck movement or a PPQB but he's still good on the PP and his defensive game is very, very good.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Is Mr. Hat coming too?

He's an upgrade over Salo. That's the main thing. We got a free top-4 defenseman cheaper than we would have gotten one on Tuesday.

And let's not forget, 7ths are more valuable here than elsewhere.

Basically how I feel.

Love the trade, SFY strikes again!!!

Am I the only one who thinks we're still in need of another top 4 dman though?

Not at all... I could've sworn Garrison was not that good, but perhaps I'm wrong with all the reactions.

Anytime you get a guy that can play 19+ a night for a 50th pick, especially in this draft, you do it.

Exactly.

My main thought when I heard about it was, "Salo replacement." We may still be in the hunt for another Dman.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Hedman-Sustr
Carle-Garrison
Brewer-Gudas
Barbs

I think we're good unless we can find someone to play with Hedman (unless Garrison was brought for that).

I guess I'm wondering if there's consensus that Sustr's ready for a top 4 role next season.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Info on the prospect, Jeff Costello

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jeff_costello/
Costello is a feverishly hard worker both on and off the ice. Goes into the corners and works hard on the forecheck. Can take hits and deal them out. Very persistent at both ends of the ice. Just a good two-way player who will do what is asked.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...en-and-wingers-developing-in-ncaa-and-europe/
The latest prospect acquisition for the Canucks is a two-way, brawny forward that will empty the tank if you ask it of him. Some have used the word ‘intimidating’ to describe his presence on the ice. He was chosen to serve as team captain for the 2013-14 season, and although he had fewer points than in 2012-13, he set a career high in goals (13) and penalty minutes (73).

The number-two seeded Fighting Irish made it to the Hockey East semifinals after defeating Boston College in their best of three opening round. Costello managed an assist in game one against BC, as well as the eventual game-winner in the decisive third game. The Irish lost to UMass-Lowell in the semifinal game but still earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament. In the program’s 46-year history, six NCAA Tournament appearances have come under current head coach Jeff Jackson. For the second straight year, it would be St. Cloud State who ended Notre Dame’s post-season, 4-3 in overtime. Although he came up with a big goal in 2011 at the Frozen Four, Costello was unable to hit the score sheet against the Huskies.

It is too early to tell if Costello will ever get a chance to play for the Canucks, but if he gets the opportunity, it will be his hard-nosed style that earns him a shot. He would be best suited for the third or fourth line, where his forechecking and ability to grind in the corners could be utilized. He is effective at disrupting other players and their focus on the play and position of the puck. Add in his leadership ability, and the fact that he is a natural left winger and anything could happen.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/jeff_costello_713548.html
hard-nosed physical player with great hands and a nose for the net ... a true power forward ... plays the game with a "mean" streak that knocks opponents off their game ... comes to play every night ... has proven to be a catalyst in the Irish attack when he is healthy ... intimidating presence on the ice ... has the ability to score goals around the net ... strong on his skates and tough to knock off the puck ... player that "stirs the drink" for Notre Dame

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You guys just made out like bandits. He had an underwhelming year last year (although still top 4 material) but he has proven in the 3 seasons prior to that that he can go up against the best and come out ahead. Don't expect much puck movement or a PPQB but he's still good on the PP and his defensive game is very, very good.

That's exactly what we need. We've got guys that can move the puck all over - we need a guy that can play well in our zone.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is Mr. Hat coming too?

Basically how I feel.

Not at all... I could've sworn Garrison was not that good, but perhaps I'm wrong with all the reactions.

Exactly.

My main thought when I heard about it was, "Salo replacement." We may still be in the hunt for another Dman.

I'm remembering the talk of a 3-way deal involving Spezza, and with Riberio being bought out, ARI/PHX may deal Yandle to fill their need at center.

To Arizona: Spezza
To TB: Keith Yandle
To Ottawa: something from TB.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
Garrison said he was initially "shocked" when #Canucks approached him about trading him 2 weeks ago, but is excited to join #TBLightning
Garrison said it was an easy decision to waive his no-trade clause to come to Tampa, says he likes team a lot, all the young talent
#Garrison on #TBLightning "It was unbelievable the talent and the skill level on the team. I think it's going to be a lot of fun fitting in"
#TBLightning Garrison takes pride in being a two-way defenseman, pushing the pucks and allowing the forward to "work their magic."
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
Garrison "It’s nice to know that Tampa was interested and I’m excited to get things started for next year'' #tblightning
Garrison on #tblightning "It was pretty amazing watching them play, their puck possession, their skill level was crazy''
Garrison con't "they play a high pace game, good possession and I think they have a lot of youth and a lot of energy, but also a lot of leadership and I’m looking forward to being a part of it.''

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Solid help for Syracuse.

Rumors are starting to run about Myers to Vancouver now. Vansanity.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I doubt we go after any expensive guy anymore, however I bet we are not done for today. 1 forward will leave us IMO and either a pick or a reclamation project like Larsson coming back.
Seriously with Garrison coming in, getting Larsson would be soooo much better. We could ease him in, while playing on a consistent basis and if he is ready to take over more minutes, there is nobody really staying in his way.

PLEASE SFY get us that Larsson kid please.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I doubt we go after any expensive guy anymore, however I bet we are not done for today. 1 forward will leave us IMO and either a pick or a reclamation project like Larsson coming back.
Seriously with Garrison coming in, getting Larsson would be soooo much better. We could ease him in, while playing on a consistent basis and if he is ready to take over more minutes, there is nobody really staying in his way.

PLEASE SFY get us that Larsson kid please.

I was thinking this too, we still have a ton of assets to acquire Larsson, I hope we get it done. This would be a monster of a day for SFY!

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I prefer the phrase 'burning it down'.

L3VL1Lq.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Earlier on twitter BoltProspects were wondering if we'd draft a player like Brendan Lemieux. Costello sounds like that feisty, annoying type to play against.

I feel like Yzerman's face would twitch at the podium if he drafted Claude Lemieux's son. :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad