Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TBL] Jason Garrison, Costello, 2015 7th Rounder from VAN for 50th pick

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Honestly, I think Salo, today, is a better defenseman then Garrison.

Can't complain about the trade as it really isn't costing us much other than the salary and term. There are certainly a whole host of worse options in the free agent market this offseason that would likely cost more. I would have preferred trading better assets for a better player, but, there is no guarantee that type of trade would even be available.

As far as 'fit' goes...I think Garrison will be overmatched on the top pairing with Hedman, make a hideous defensive pairing with Carle, and just be too collectively slow if paired with Brewer (also way too costly a third pairing). Despite having played the right side, I think he's a more logical stylistic replacement for Carle or Brewer as opposed to the main solution to our need for a top 4 RD. With Barberio, and soon Koekoek, pushing for spots on the left side there might not even be an opening after Brewers contract expires. As much as I hope Garrison succeeds as a top 4 RD, I also expect he moves in to the overpaid-underperforming-scapegoat role currently occupied by Teddy Purcell as soon as the honeymoon is over.

If he isn't able to pull any other trade magic out all offseason I expect Yzerman to make at least one more addition to our blueline. Late in the offseason, less than a million dollars for one year (re:bury-able). A depth option replacing Kostka and/or Aulie if neither is back.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Great addition to your d-core. If his slapper is still as powerful as it was back in 11/12, I dont want the panthers to take any penalties when we play each other....

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
We got a deal on this guy no doubt. I can't help but think we haven't really upgraded the D much with only this move. We did need a solid replacement for Salo and we can check that box.

Good to see that we started by drafting 3 D-men and I totally agree that upgrading the defense for our future is going to be key.

Next year Brewer will go and we may be shopping once again.
I hope Steve tries to get a UFA that could step right in. I wouldn't pay a kings ransom for one though becausue I don't see that kind of quality available this year.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Garrison is a quality defender. I think we did very well on it. He is a second pairing guy and he is only 30 years old.

For a D , 30 is coming into their prime years. If he can keep his shot on net, he will be a total steal.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
garrison salo pairing ON the powerplay would look fantastic for the bolts special teams. especially if its a 5 on 3. opposition players wanting to defend and block shots might wanna think twice. both bombs. although garrison's accuracy isnt that great.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From what I read this is going to help the PP. Tampa is in a position now to have one of the top PP in the league next season, would be awesome if that happens.

I still think they should try and go after Stralman, heard Rangers are likely not signing any of their UFAs (Stralman, Boyle, D.Moore, Pouliot)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
From what I read this is going to help the PP. Tampa is in a position now to have one of the top PP in the league next season, would be awesome if that happens.

I still think they should try and go after Stralman, heard Rangers are likely not signing any of their UFAs (Stralman, Boyle, D.Moore, Pouliot)

I don't think Garrison will be on the #1 PP unless they go with two Dmen on it. Stamkos-Hedman-Callahan-Flip-xxx (where I think xxx will be Drouin before game 20).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Garrison is better than Salo, or at least is better than the last couple seasons Salo was a Canuck. This trade is a flat out steal for you guys.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=87222433&postcount=532

A great post outlining how underrated Garrison is. The main drawback is his skating, but he manages to overcome it, and rarely if ever gets walked around.

garrison salo pairing ON the powerplay would look fantastic for the bolts special teams. especially if its a 5 on 3. opposition players wanting to defend and block shots might wanna think twice. both bombs. although garrison's accuracy isnt that great.

Two triggermen on the points? I dunno about that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Garrison is a quality defender. I think we did very well on it. He is a second pairing guy and he is only 30 years old.

For a D , 30 is coming into their prime years. If he can keep his shot on net, he will be a total steal.

Another thing that's important to note is that he doesn't have a lot of mileage on him. Started late, came into the league late, and hasn't had to deal with many injuries. That's a young 30 if it makes sense to say that.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
now, when someone talks about the "vancouver riots" they'll have to specify 2011 or 2014

Vancouver riots? You must be talking about the one in 1994. :sarcasm:

Garrison's shot is so damn hard. However, he doesn't hit the net that often and he claims a hell of a lot of victims that get in the way (both defenders and teammates). :laugh:

The past season was pretty crummy for all Canucks. I expect Garrison to rebound a bit. He's a pretty decent player. :handclap: He'll do great in TB. He's not physical at all though.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Canucks fan here to provide thoughts:

A decent all around guy. Not physical enough for his size. Great hard shot but he cant control it at all. If he starts hitting the net, he has the potential to score 10+ goals a season, however last year he just couldn't do it. The Canucks fed him open 1 time shots on the first pp unit and he would miss the net 4/5 times. Decent puck mover but not fantastic. Not a great skater and can be beaten. Overall I think he can be a serviceable top 4 guy as long as he's deployed properly. When he's hot he should be put on the first unit, when he's cold, he should be sheltered. He should not be relied on to shut down top players but he can get it done against 2nd liners pretty well.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Canucks fan here to provide thoughts:

A decent all around guy. Not physical enough for his size. Great hard shot but he cant control it at all. If he starts hitting the net, he has the potential to score 10+ goals a season, however last year he just couldn't do it. The Canucks fed him open 1 time shots on the first pp unit and he would miss the net 4/5 times. Decent puck mover but not fantastic. Not a great skater and can be beaten. Overall I think he can be a serviceable top 4 guy as long as he's deployed properly. When he's hot he should be put on the first unit, when he's cold, he should be sheltered. He should not be relied on to shut down top players but he can get it done against 2nd liners pretty well.

Thanks for this visit! I'm guessing he'll be on our 2nd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad