Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TBL] Jason Garrison, Costello, 2015 7th Rounder from VAN for 50th pick

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Wouldn't wave out of Vancouver

This is probably it, otherwise I think Vancouver would have moved him over Garrison. But I'd prefer Garrison anyway - he's three years younger and doesn't have injury concerns.

But is a lefty.

It doesn't really matter. There are tons of lefties playing the right side (for instance, Detroit had zero RHD's in their team this season). A left-handed D can be just as effective on the right side as a right-handed D.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If you think that the Vancouver-TB defensemen situation is interesting, consider the Flyers and Lightning in recent years. Foster, Gervais, Krajicek, and trading for Meszaros, Carle, Kubina, and Matt Walker.

Last edited:

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
I like the term 'Yzer-robbed' :laugh

This is the last straw, I'ma go ahead and say it: Yzerman is a top 3 GM in this league.

Still would like to get one of Stralman or Fayne but I'm happy with how our D-corp looks now.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Can someone alleviate my worries?

Canuck fan.

He's good. We're basically only remotely okay with this trade if we turn around and use the cap-space in free agency.

We have a full back-end of dmen and a lot of the same style. Defensively responsible, but not a shut-down dman, offensively capable, but not a complete o-type puck moving defenseman. This is what Garrison is and will be 3rd/4th guy for you. Play on the power play with his ridiculous shot. (Hint : It must hit the net though!)

Yzlamic Preacher*

I have seen him play a lot. What I can say is, he plays a 2 way game. He doesn't do flashy things but literally reminds me of a younger Salo. He is the perfect Salo replacement.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
Uh huh.

Anything else?

Nucks fans seem to suggest last year was just a poor one for Garrison due to a groin problem. His shot is a cannon, albeit inaccurate, but they think he could post 40 points next season, while also providing very steady play in his own end. He's a 2nd pairing guy and should fit alongside Carle well (in theory).

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
So I was right in thinking Salo replacement then? Anyone think we may still go for someone else?

Hopefully Yandle. The only way I see it happening is the three way deal that FP suggested. However, it would necessitate Spezza waving for 'Zona, which I don't think he'll do. The ask for Spezza is a good prospect, a top 6 forward and a 1st round pick, so:

To ARZ: Spezza
To TB: Yandle
To OTT: Connolly, Purcell and NYR 1st round pick '14

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
So I was right in thinking Salo replacement then? Anyone think we may still go for someone else?

Hope Yzerman looks to make another move for the top 4. The team has the assets and the defense has been the Achilles heel for too long. Getting another top 4 would push Gudas and Brewer down to their rightful spots and would allow Sustr more development time in Syracuse (who I do think has the capability of being a good top pairing defenseman).

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
Yzerman on Garrison: "He's a bigger body, he's a good skater, reasonable on both ends of the ice. So we're a little bit bigger, stronger."
#TBLightning Yzerman likes Garrison's size, his shot, which will be good on PP. Says contract structure attractive. Can be a top-4 D man
Garrison deal came together pretty quickly, with #Canucks GM Benning asking Yzerman if he was interested last night, talked again this AM.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Hope Yzerman looks to make another move for the top 4. The team has the assets and the defense has been the Achilles heel for too long. Getting another top 4 would push Gudas and Brewer down to their rightful spots and would allow Sustr more development time in Syracuse (who I do think has the capability of being a good top pairing defenseman).

Couldn't agree more. Not sure why everyone's slotting Sustr on the top pairing lately. He definitely needs some more time. Not to say he's bad. But more time on the farm wouldn't hurt.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 30s

#TBLightning Yzerman indicated they're probably done addressing the blueline. Will explore but "really difficult" to do anything else.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Earlier today Vancouver fans were saying he was worth Pacioretty out of MTL. So there's that.

if you're going to quote someone, quote someone. he said, "how about we do Pacioretty for Garrison++"

the response was "That ++ is more like ++++". And it was dropped.

Just to be clear.

You guys got a great return for a 2nd rounder. You'll be happy with Garrison for what you spent.

You basically cashed in on him only willing to play for you or Florida and a cap dump!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad