Confirmed with Link: [VAN/TBL] Jason Garrison, Costello, 2015 7th Rounder from VAN for 50th pick

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
When has SFY ever used a smokescreen?

I'm hoping in this case. The defense needs more overhauling and Sustr and KoekKoek aren't ready. If you want to start competing now, which is in line with Yzerman's original timeline, the defense needs another top pairing guy. That certainly is hard to do, but the team actually has the assets to make a move. Maybe he's gauging other GMs thought processes with his noncommittal response, since he did say he had spoken to other GMs about D-men and it sounds like Garrison wasn't the target at that time if it was a late development.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
that means shush be berry berry quiet is rabbit hunting season.

Gloves are off he is just waiting for the next mistake or desperation move.

right. I don't really see what SFY as meaning anything that isn't true. Unless a deal makes sense for TB, they're not going to deal for another defenseman today. (the next six hours). We need to solve all our problems TODAY for some reason where SFY has proven patient, and has made positive progress already on that front since arriving in Philly.

It doesn't mean that they're done. We're getting impatient with how fast Vancouver seems to be going, but they've still only done 3 deals.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Aye. Also remember that Yzerman was apparently approached last night about Garrison, so he probably has someone else on his mind...

Hopefully...

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
We also still gotta round up a vet goalie backup

Yep.

Once we do that, I think we're done making any major moves unless we can shed Purcell's 4.5M salary.

Resigning Callahan and picking up Garrison for a second has put the team in better position to go further next year.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Garrison is a good player, certainly worth the 2nd. Not the fastest skater or the best puck mover but he's a physical presence along the corners, can make the breakout passes and obviously has the bomb to boot. Think of him as a less fragile but not as astute version of Salo. And younger. Obviously.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
Gary is great. I really liked him in Van. Positionally sound with a bomb of a shot. His footwork is poor, no doubt, but generally it's not noticeable if he isn't caught out of position.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am thinking there was supposed to be more to this tweet.

"For today".

Not sure about that in terms of trades. Seems like it would only get more difficult after today to make a trade.

UFAs are still a good option, although we might have to move a tad bit of money now... ... *cough*Tedward*cough*

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Not sure about that in terms of trades. Seems like it would only get more difficult after today to make a trade.

UFAs are still a good option, although we might have to move a tad bit of money now... ... *cough*Tedward*cough*

There's no real good UFA target to overpay. If Yzerman is going to add to the defense, which is still a need and not a luxury, we really need to package some of these picks/prospects unless of course all the price tags are absolutely ludicrous.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is the one veteran top 4 defender we needed, not sure why people want us to make a move for another one. He'll most likely slide into Salo's spot, we keep the Carle-Gudas pair and have Brewer with Sustr/Barberio. That's roughly the same D we had last year that got us in the playoffs. Garrison should improve the 2nd PP maybe the 1st depending how Cooper roles the units, Gudas/Sustr/Barberio should all be improved coming into the year. I'm good with the D the way it stands.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
This is the one veteran top 4 defender we needed, not sure why people want us to make a move for another one. He'll most likely slide into Salo's spot, we keep the Carle-Gudas pair and have Brewer with Sustr/Barberio. That's roughly the same D we had last year that got us in the playoffs. Garrison should improve the 2nd PP maybe the 1st depending how Cooper roles the units, Gudas/Sustr/Barberio should all be improved coming into the year. I'm good with the D the way it stands.

Can't count on Barb's, we need one more solid D man

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

If Bishop can replicate his 2013-14 season, then our d is likely fine to at least get us into the playoffs and be a better contender in the 1st round. However, beyond that, I'm not as confident. I think Bishop will still be very good next year, but maybe not as exceptional as he was last season - hence, our defense still needs some work.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa

Bishop also had a Vezina caliber season. Do we expect him to play to that level every season? It of course would be nice but that had a lot to do with our defense from this season holding up. I do believe Sustr can be a Top 4. Also it sounds like KoekKoek could be a great Dman of the future (assuming his shoulder injuries are a thing of the past). But they both need more time. Another top D man would bridge the gap we have until those 2 are steady role players.

Garrison is nice (particularly at the little cost of obtaining him) but Tampa needs another to be in that top 4 not named Gudas or Brewer.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Sami Salo in his last year with Vancouver before heading out to Tampa Bay was significantly better than Jason Garrison this past season with Vancouver. As a reference point.

He has a fantastic shot that is hard and pretty accurate. Despite looking like a physical beast, he doesn't hit, fight, and tends to stay away from any scrums. Skating is his biggest issue. Some in Vancouver blamed it on his defensive partners, and some blamed it on an injury. He had struggles turning and was caught out of position quite a bit. He was our 5th option on the PK and fairly solid.

Not quite sure he's fit for the Western Conference. You guys have seen as much of him with Florida as we have in Vancouver so it could just be that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad