Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The only team that made out poorly is the Rangers. TB got good value and Vancouver got a great player. New York got Namestnikov

This is not necessarily correct, I'll take the 3rd or whatever we got for Namestnikov for the small consolation prize that we currently dont have Miller on our books at over $6 million.

I'm a fan of JT and always thought he was capable of so much more, but he reached his peak of what he would be in New York, maybe/probably because of AV-itis, and we already have cap issues, imagine how much more we would be screwed if you add Miller to the mix.

Arguably might not have been able to afford Trouba and his contract.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why are people so concerned about how bad this looks for TBL? It’s a win win trade, a good hockey trade that helped both teams. TBL had to clear cap and Canucks badly needed a player like JT Miller, both teams got what they needed.

Tampa had plenty of offence and not enough cap room.

Vancouver lacked fire power and it was too much of a burden to have our offence drive through Just Pettersson Boeser and Bo, who are all 24 and under. We needed at least one extra guy to help that core 3.

We needed a top 6, Tampa needed to unload both team wins and it also looks like tampa is doing just fine without him.

Reactions: VinikToWinIt

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Facts. Hard to criticize giving up the first when he’s been that good. We can say “we could have gotten him for less” all we want, but the trade has turned out well.

Overpaying for someone that only helps the Canucks going from bad to somewhat average isn't exactly a brilliant trade. He is either gone or overpaid by the time the Canucks might actually be half decent.

Best thing the Canucks could do now is to trade him again - as value is high. Sad, but true in my opinion.

Reactions: lindgren

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Ever heard of the Rangers?

With the Rangers he had:
2 point in 4 games and 8 in 19 games, 3 points in 12 games and 3 points in 5 games. Wasn’t a complete scrub like you said, but obviously didn’t light the world on fire. He also didn’t play on the top line with your team. Not sure why you’re saying he’s completely trash in the playoffs while he still produced at a decent level. He also had 8 point in 17 games with the Lightning last year playing 3rd line minutes. So you don’t make any sense

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Overpaying for someone that only helps the Canucks going from bad to somewhat average isn't exactly a brilliant trade. He is either gone or overpaid by the time the Canucks might actually be half decent.

Best thing the Canucks could do now is to trade him again - as value is high. Sad, but true in my opinion.
What??? Why in Gods name would we trade him again?? We’re in a playoff spot, getting all our players back from injury, and actually have a chance playing in the pacific. All it takes is squeaking into the playoffs and then anything can happen. He’s also locked up long term so not sure what you mean saying we won’t be good by the time his contract ends. You don’t expect the Canucks to contend in less than 4 years?? :laugh: If that’s the case we having bigger problems than JT Miller

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What??? Why in Gods name would we trade him again?? We’re in a playoff spot, getting all our players back from injury, and actually have a chance playing in the pacific. All it takes is squeaking into the playoffs and then anything can happen. He’s also locked up long term so not sure what you mean saying we won’t be good by the time his contract ends. You don’t expect the Canucks to contend in less than 4 years?? :laugh: If that’s the case we having bigger problems than JT Miller

Yes. How laughable. Haha.

Calgary, San Jose and Nashville. Not exactly bad teams chasing us. I can only wish Benning luck replacing or re-signing Tanev and Markström for next season.

Let's talk again.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016

I'm cringing. So much speculation and random BS that's posted as if it's fact. It's incredible.

Let's start with some pure speculation which for some unknown reason, is taken as 100% unadulterated fact. "Overpaying" - because every poster on HF (specifically HF Canucks posters who happen to just be the best insiders on the planet!) is an insider who knows what other teams were offering, what Tampa wanted, and want Vancouver was offering. They just know it all. It also plays on the ridiculous assertion that was magically prevalent in the Canucks board at the time of the trade. The idea that he was a "decent middle 6er." Because decent middle 6 players have b2b seasons of 56 and 58 points. Those players just grow on trees. Every team has decent middle 6ers who are nearly 60 point players!

Then this random philosophy that yet again HF Canucks posters cling on to as an attempt to not allow themselves to say "Benning made a good move." The horror that would be. The philosophy being "Oh well they're not a good team, they can't make trades to improve the team! What's the point??? You're only allowed to make moves when you magically become a good team!"

According to you the Canucks should not try to get better. They should continue to lose and stockpile talent through high draft picks! Like the successful Oilers formula! Spend 10+ years, drafting first overall, getting a generational talent! It's the only way to improve! I mean look at the Oil-..oh wait look at the Oilers v2, the New Jer-.....The proof is in the pudding. You HAVE to lose lose lose and go out of your way to do so, never dare try to improve the team.

According to you, the Canucks might as well tank forever. Because why ever make a trade to improve the team if all it does is make them "mediocre." You definitely can't make a move here, a move there, a good draft pick here and there...a bunch of different moves over time that add up to being a good team. There's no such thing as building a team. Nope. Never do it..just get good overnight. I mean there's no good teams that always draft late. There's no good teams that miss of first round picks. Look at the Bruins! Blues! Caps! They had to draft high a bunch! They never famously missed on first round picks. They can't improve by drafting well regardless of where they draft! That's not allowed according to me!!!

Better off trading Miller. His 31 points in 30 games is of no use. His 5m+ salary is soon going to be overpaid. He has done nothing to help this team be "somewhat average." 4th most goals scored in the league, pretty average I'd say.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'll take a 50-60 point winger

I think JT Miller would be, if they decided to play him there, out top line RW.

Hes better than Buchnevich.

He made some young bone headed plays while with NY, but that's expected from young players.

I hope the fan base doesn't turn on Kaako in similar fashion whe he makes boneheaded plays.

They will happen

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, he meant the New York Rangers

Oh I thought he was referring to...

Chipndale.jpg

Reactions: bh53 and Grantham

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
With the Rangers he had:
2 point in 4 games and 8 in 19 games, 3 points in 12 games and 3 points in 5 games. Wasn’t a complete scrub like you said, but obviously didn’t light the world on fire. He also didn’t play on the top line with your team. Not sure why you’re saying he’s completely trash in the playoffs while he still produced at a decent level. He also had 8 point in 17 games with the Lightning last year playing 3rd line minutes. So you don’t make any sense

worth noting when some of those seasons with the rangers happened too

8 points in 19 games sounds a lot better when you add in that he only had 23 in 58 in the regular season that year prior to it

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I thought Vancouver would like him more than they originally thought. My question is how he keeps it up. Consistency has been his issue at this level.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Facts. Hard to criticize giving up the first when he’s been that good. We can say “we could have gotten him for less” all we want, but the trade has turned out well.
It's not hard at all to criticize it.

So far we're 9% through his contract, JT Miller is playing at the highest level he has ever played and the Canucks are clinging to the final playoff spot in the west. You can't say it's "turned out well", when we've got 91% more of his deal to go.

JT Miller could score 80 points this year and next and even throughout all 4 years of this deal, but if they don't make the playoffs then what was the point?

He's a really good player, but for a team in Vancouver's position (non playoff team for 4 straight years/capped out) it seems ill timed and resembles the Islanders giving up a 1st for Vanek. How'd that work out?

NuckKel

Jan 7, 2019
I'm cringing. So much speculation and random BS that's posted as if it's fact. It's incredible.

Let's start with some pure speculation which for some unknown reason, is taken as 100% unadulterated fact. "Overpaying" - because every poster on HF (specifically HF Canucks posters who happen to just be the best insiders on the planet!) is an insider who knows what other teams were offering, what Tampa wanted, and want Vancouver was offering. They just know it all. It also plays on the ridiculous assertion that was magically prevalent in the Canucks board at the time of the trade. The idea that he was a "decent middle 6er." Because decent middle 6 players have b2b seasons of 56 and 58 points. Those players just grow on trees. Every team has decent middle 6ers who are nearly 60 point players!

Then this random philosophy that yet again HF Canucks posters cling on to as an attempt to not allow themselves to say "Benning made a good move." The horror that would be. The philosophy being "Oh well they're not a good team, they can't make trades to improve the team! What's the point??? You're only allowed to make moves when you magically become a good team!"

According to you the Canucks should not try to get better. They should continue to lose and stockpile talent through high draft picks! Like the successful Oilers formula! Spend 10+ years, drafting first overall, getting a generational talent! It's the only way to improve! I mean look at the Oil-..oh wait look at the Oilers v2, the New Jer-.....The proof is in the pudding. You HAVE to lose lose lose and go out of your way to do so, never dare try to improve the team.

According to you, the Canucks might as well tank forever. Because why ever make a trade to improve the team if all it does is make them "mediocre." You definitely can't make a move here, a move there, a good draft pick here and there...a bunch of different moves over time that add up to being a good team. There's no such thing as building a team. Nope. Never do it..just get good overnight. I mean there's no good teams that always draft late. There's no good teams that miss of first round picks. Look at the Bruins! Blues! Caps! They had to draft high a bunch! They never famously missed on first round picks. They can't improve by drafting well regardless of where they draft! That's not allowed according to me!!!

Better off trading Miller. His 31 points in 30 games is of no use. His 5m+ salary is soon going to be overpaid. He has done nothing to help this team be "somewhat average." 4th most goals scored in the league, pretty average I'd say.

Great read, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig