Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
When Freidman says "I don't know if anyone else was willing to offer a first-rounder" his tone makes it clear that he's expressing his skepticism. That's why he follows it up by saying maybe Benning has better information. The second comment only makes sense if we take the first as his expression of doubt about there having been such an offer. Have a listen to the clip and see if you disagree.
What are you talking about man. If someone doesn’t know something, then you can’t use them as a source AT ALL. No matter how skeptics look he was he has to ***** clue :laugh: Y2Ks Point about Friedman knowing no other team would offer a 1st was wrong. You literally can’t argue it was right.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Reported by who? The media knows nothing.

There is a well known Canucks blog in Vancouver (I won't say their real names, but will rather refer to them as "VancouverMilitant") that often fabricate lies to further their own agendas. A few years ago, "VancouverMilitant" created a predatory rumor that stated that the Canucks had turned down a 9th overall pick for Ryan Miller. Absolutely NO ONE on the internet had reported any Ryan Miller trade rumors *except* "VancouverMilitant." "VancouverMilitant" has a sizable following due to their hatred of Jim Benning and over-emphasis on Advanced Statistics. As a result, there is a sizable contingent out there that live and die by what "VancouverMilitant" has to say.

I want to be clear though - I am NOT saying that Y2K is necessarily a part of that sizable contingent, but there are many people that live and die by that blog.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
What are you talking about man. If someone doesn’t know something, then you can’t use them as a source AT ALL. No matter how skeptics look he was he has to ***** clue :laugh: Y2Ks Point about Friedman knowing no other team would offer a 1st was wrong. You literally can’t argue it was right.

Have you heard Friedman's comment? I can't imagine any reasonable person listening to it and not getting his point, which is that he doubts whether any other team offered a first.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Have you heard Friedman's comment? I can't imagine any reasonable person listening to it and not getting his point, which is that he doubts whether any other team offered a first.
I’ve listened to it multiple times. Just because he doubts something that means absolutely nothing. That’s called his opinion, not insider information. Benning knows what the asking price was and what other teams offer. Friedman knows NOTHING about the situation so you cannot take that as fact. End of discussion!

Reactions: notsocommonsense

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I’ve listened to it multiple times. Just because he doubts something that means absolutely nothing. That’s called his opinion, not insider information. Benning knows what the asking price was and what other teams offer. Friedman knows NOTHING about the situation so you cannot take that as fact. End of discussion!
Do you think he's doubting it for no reason, or do you think his job and sources can lead his thinking?

Why is it a given that Benning knew what other teams were offering, that feels like worse speculation than Friedman's, that you're shouting down. It's not a fact, I'll agree with you, but Friedman is putting that out there as an educated/informed inference. It doesn't end the discussion, even though you're really struggling with Benning getting scrutinized.

If I had to guess, Tampa targeted Vancouver. I imagine Brisebois was thinking, "which GM will give up a 1st" and called Benning. Benning got excited about the opportunity to acquire a quality player and got tunnel vision. We know from past negotiations, Benning doesn't drive a hard bargain.....Dorsett's agent said it, the Gudbranson acquisition suggests it. Maybe other teams were willing to give a 1st, I won't doubt that, but I think Tampa targeted a team which he thought had the best chance of giving him the highest first possible.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

So, you agree that, based on his sources, Friedman doubts that any other team offered a first?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Benning made a risk to move a 1st rounder to help our young core 3. It was also the time to make that next step to go for a playoff spot. Wether Nuck fans agree with this, or not, it's their fair op pinon. It is also unknown of the outcome of our 1st rounder at this point.

the 2 sides is

We needed additional help upfront. It was too much burden to have the offence of the team go through 3 under 24 and under players. When the Sedins were coming a long they had Naslund, Bertuzzi Morrison. Currently they have nothing. Adding Miller have been a huge help.

trading a 1st round pick I can see why some fans don't like this either as it is an insurance policy if a season goes bad. At the same time, we needed help upfront right away, of course one can say well you could have just signed someone in free agency and save the all important 1st round pick which is vital for any rebuilding team.

so far he's been great for our team, meanwhile we are outside a playoff spot right now. who knows maybe Jim made this trade to save his job? I won't argue against that, the following day after we gave JB an extension he said "I don't like trading 1st rounders" like that was a wtf moment.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I agree? Well that’s exactly what he said that’s fact. He didn’t say based on his sources though he said he doesn’t think. PURE SPECULATION.

I don't believe that he said he "doesn't think," but I think we're probably somewhat in agreement.

Our disagreement is over what we can infer is going on with Friedman. He's widely regarded as one of the best NHL insiders, with very good sources. I take his comment to mean that he contacted his sources and couldn't find any that knew of any team offering a first rounder, other than the Canucks. So he doesn't think it happened. But it's hard to prove a negative, and Benning might have better info, so although it seems that the Canucks were alone in what they were offering, he can't be 100% sure.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't believe that he said he "doesn't think," but I think we're probably somewhat in agreement.

Our disagreement is over what we can infer is going on with Friedman. He's widely regarded as one of the best NHL insiders, with very good sources. I take his comment to mean that he contacted his sources and couldn't find any that knew of any team offering a first rounder, other than the Canucks. So he doesn't think it happened. But it's hard to prove a negative, and Benning might have better info, so although it seems that the Canucks were alone in what they were offering, he can't be 100% sure.
Yeah we're on the same page, agreed.

Reactions: lindgren
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad