Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think that is fair way to evaluate the trade

this pick is likely a 15-20

2015 - Senyshyn BARZAL CONNOR CHABOT Svechnikov ErikssonEk
2014 - LARKIN Milano SANHEIM Tuch DeAngelo Schmaltz
2013 - Pulock Lazar Zadorov Mueller Rychel Mantha
2012 - Ceci Wilson HERTL TERAVAINEN VASILEVSKI Laughton
2011 - Miller Armia Beaulieu McNeill Klefbom Murphy

A 25% chance its a better player
A 25% chance of a comparable player who wont be for another 4 to 5 yrs
A 50% chance you wait for 5 yrs to realise your pick is a bust or worse than Miller

15-20?

I don't see Vancouver approaching being a top ten NHL team in the next two seasons.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
15-20?

I don't see Vancouver approaching being a top ten NHL team in the next two seasons.
why not? they picked 10 last year and added Miller Pearson (at the deadline) Ferland Demko Myers Benn Hughes in place of Schaller Granlund Eriksson/Goldobin Hutton Gudbranson Pouliot.

add to that Pettersson and Boeser were 20 and 21 last year and are just tapping into their potential.

and also for 4 yrs in a row the Canucks have been top5 in man games lost. Odds are this wont continue.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
why not? they picked 10 last year and added Miller Pearson (at the deadline) Ferland Demko Myers Benn Hughes in place of Schaller Granlund Eriksson/Goldobin Hutton Gudbranson Pouliot.

add to that Pettersson and Boeser were 20 and 21 last year and are just tapping into their potential.

and also for 4 yrs in a row the Canucks have been top5 in man games lost. Odds are this wont continue.

Anything is possible, but you are counting on a lot of things to go right for the Canucks to get over the hump.

Not sure I would have gambled a first round pick on it.

Reactions: Tmart335

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Anything is possible, but you are counting on a lot of things to go right for the Canucks to get over the hump.

Not sure I would have gambled a first round pick on it.

We've lost in every lottery we've been in, and two of our top picks haven't worked out the way they should have, and we fell backwards into two prospects that should have been off board with 4 of 5 top ten picks. We have double the odds of another Virtanen or Juolevi in contrast to another Pettersson, and guys like Hughes and Podkolzin aren't always going to fall into our laps.

I'd argue the odds are better we improve on the ice, say into a wild card spot, then for us to win a lottery pick if we don't.

If he's assuming too much goes right in his scenario, us having improved and all that, so are people fetishizing our lost pick (not you per se, you're being pretty rational in your statements) I'd say they are assuming we get another Pettersson with a top ten pick, which is assuming on an equal level IMO.

Tangently related: Shouldn't most Benning haters NOT want him making more picks? Or is he a drafting savant now, in spite of his single digit iq? This never made sense to me. We hate his picks, they almost never pan out, but we should move players for more (or any) picks, so Benning can get more players who (almost definitely with later picks) never see the ice as a Canuck?

The guys still an idiot, but I can't believe this is the action posters are willing to use as a rock to die on. Benning has done so much worse. Making the playoffs once in two years with the additions we've made, and the subtraction to other teams, and Canucks fans are already writing off the season....just....man....we need these W's for reasons other than this draft pick....

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
uh guys... JT is having a phenomenal start to the season and this trade is looking brutal for the lightning. Mazanec isn't even playing in NA anymore. the only positive thing to this trade for TBL is Hugo.. who is looking solid in the SHL.

After tonight's game JT's stat line reads:

6 goals (leads the team)
7 assists (second on the team)
13 points (second on the team)
+7 (leads the team)

in 11 games.

yowza.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
uh guys... JT is having a phenomenal start to the season and this trade is looking brutal for the lightning. Mazanec isn't even playing in NA anymore. the only positive thing to this trade for TBL is Hugo.. who is looking solid in the SHL.

6 goals (leads the team)
+7 (leads the team)

in 11 games.

yowza.

they needed to shed salary though didn’t they?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

6 goals (leads the team)
+7 (leads the team)

in 11 games.

yowza.

The main pieces were cap space, and a 1st round pick. That pick means we won't know how much of a win/loss this is for TBL for a few years. Also, how good JT is doing tin VAN is irrelevant to how much of a 'win' it is for TBL as he was a cap casualty.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The main pieces were cap space, and a 1st round pick. That pick means we won't know how much of a win/loss this is for TBL for a few years. Also, how good JT is doing tin VAN is irrelevant to how much of a 'win' it is for TBL as he was a cap casualty.

yeah, I completely forgot that it for cap dump reasons. my b, my b

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I guess it's arguable Tampa could've gotten rid of Gourde or something, but really good teams lose good players to the cap all the time, and they still got a high pick out of this.

The Rangers are the team that should be dumped on for getting rid of him.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
this was a win -win trade on both sides.

TB got what they needed the most, cap space, and got a 1st round to roll the dice and keep the youth coming in.

Canucks got exactly what they needed, a two way forward that does the work and young enough to grow with the team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

They did, though it may be a case of banking on the wrong players. Regardless, if you comb through the earlier pages of this thread, the trade is more or less considered a train wreck by everyone—Canuck fans included. To be fair, I don't think anyone anticipated Miller having what looks to be a breakout season. Not that anyone thought he was a bad player; far from it. Just not a PPG type. Hell, I didn't.

If this continues throughout the year, I dare say Benning may actually start to look... competent? I'm scared.

Reactions: Grantham

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
They did, though it may be a case of banking on the wrong players. Regardless, if you comb through the earlier pages of this thread, the trade is more or less considered a train wreck by everyone—Canuck fans included. To be fair, I don't think anyone anticipated Miller having what looks to be a breakout season. Not that anyone thought he was a bad player; far from it. Just not a PPG type. Hell, I didn't.

If this continues throughout the year, I dare say Benning may actually start to look... competent? I'm scared.
Let's not get carried away ...

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
All good - keep those high picks away from Tampa. East thanks you. East out.

Actually, Tampa is interesting in the sense that while they've been hitting on later round picks like no one else, their high picks haven't panned out that well. None of their last three top 10 picks (Drouin, Koekkoek, Connolly) have exactly met expectations. I would be more worried about their 4th round pick than their high 1st rounder;)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Every season someone "emerges" or has their "breakout season." Let's give him a few more games before we crown a victor in the trade (nevermind that there is a condition that extends beyond next summer potentially).

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Yes but there were many teams seriously interested in Miller.
Canucks outbid them and pulled the trigger. So far its working out as JT is doing great on our top line. Im sure Tampa misses him alot but that pick, if used right, should help them out too

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
From a canucks fan perspective I really liked JT miller before the trade, he is a good complimentary piece, but I was not happy a team that could use one more high draft pick traded a first.

Whenever I watched tampa i thought he was underutilized buried on the 3rd line.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

6 goals (leads the team)
+7 (leads the team)

in 11 games.

yowza.
This deal won't look brutal for the Lightning unless Miller becomes better than Point. It had to be made.

Reactions: Mister Ed

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Probably playing the best hockey of his career right now. Glad to see it working out for you guys in Vancouver. Y'all gotta lay off Jim Benning so much. He's not great but it gets worse than him -especially in other sports.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I said he was a good player. Id have traded Gourde instead if I didnt know we could possibly get a unprotected 1st out of this.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
This deal won't look brutal for the Lightning unless Miller becomes better than Point. It had to be made.
There is no way this deal ends up brutal for TBL. They gave up a guy who played 3rd line minutes for them, got a ton of cap relief, and a 1st round pick. The fact he is playing well in Van makes this a win for the Canucks, not a loss for Tampa. I think both teams will come away pretty happy. Benning stepped up and outbid teams to get the player he really wanted, I don't think the lightning would have got a much better offer elsewhere.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

top ten ? like maybe if youre lucky and they have a crazy year which does happen but teams dont normally just rebuild that fast even with 3 great young players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad