Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree with your prediction. This trade looks eerily to when leafs traded an unprotected 1st for kessel.

Canucks may make playoffs, but they could also finish bottom 5. I like Miller, but this is a bad trade for Canucks
How is it similar? The first is protected and Kessel is a way more proven scorer but doesnt play any way like Miller.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
True. They're a tanking team and should keep all their picks and especially their first until they can find a player like McDavid via the draft.
Then you're like the Oilers, tanking for a decade, get 1 good playoff run then continue tanking even with McDavid on the team! Its more of an overall team thats built, are the Canucks at that point? Meh I don't know, they might squeek in as an 8th seed but its not like they are going on some cinderella run.

Or be like Buffalo who clearly tanked for McDavid and lost out and are still the laughing stock of the NHL.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
True. They're a tanking team and should keep all their picks and especially their first until they can find a player like McDavid via the draft.
That’s nonsense. Those players show up what, once every five or ten years? And then banking on winning the lottery? They could be tanking for 40 years before they are lucky enough to land someone like that. No way does any ownership group sign off on that. No general manager would because he’d be fired so fast if he even proposed this

Also, They already have a guy who might be a tier behind him if he continues his upward trend....

Reactions: notsocommonsense

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Even if hes a 60 point winger it still won't be worth it if Van gives up a lottery pick.

Fully agreed.

That's the problem because I don't think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this year so they will keep the pick then have no control for the 21 draft when Edler and Tanev are yet even older and if Hughes and Myers don't play to 100% of their expectations it could get ugly.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Those players show up what, once every five or ten years? And then banking on winning the lottery? They could be tanking for 40 years before they are lucky enough to land someone like that.
Not to mention McDavid and Draisaitl together could not "save" Edmonton, which is still a perennial non-postseason team. They should focus on building a good team instead, like St Louis.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The one thing I'll give you is they should have protected the first. Otherwise, you paid a reasonable price for a player who makes you better immediately. I think Vancouver is betting on themselves here. Obviously, I hope they lose that bet, but I don't think it's realistic to think other teams weren't vying for Miller, and this was the winning bid. If that pick winds up around 20, it's decent value.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That's on your management/scouting staff, you really shouldn't bust on high value draft picks (top 10'ish). Also that's considering Miller pans out better than expected (as a 60 point player), that's the best case scenario for you.

How do you know it’s a top 10 pick ?

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
The one thing I'll give you is they should have protected the first. Otherwise, you paid a reasonable price for a player who makes you better immediately. I think Vancouver is betting on themselves here. Obviously, I hope they lose that bet, but I don't think it's realistic to think other teams weren't vying for Miller, and this was the winning bid. If that pick winds up around 20, it's decent value.

Yeah, that's the thing. If the pick was protected in perpetuity, it's not so bad. There's still the risk that this becomes a lottery pick. That risk adds real value to the asset.

This management also bet on themselves in the 2016 offseason eyeing the playoffs after a bottom 5 finish. They paid high prices for Eriksson and Gudbranson and both moves failed spectacularly. There is no confidence in Benning for a lot of the fan base. You really can't blame people for expecting the worse given their track record. Granted, the Canucks are built around a great young core now rather than the 35 year old Sedin twins like in 2016.

Last edited:

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
How is it similar? The first is protected and Kessel is a way more proven scorer but doesnt play any way like Miller.
except at least they got Phil Kessel and not JT miller (I'm aware there were more picks in the Kessel trade). I think its a safe bet the canucks can be a bubble team this year or next year. So I doubt the pick will be to top 5 or anything, but you would think we could have either gotten a better player or a better deal considering the lightnings cap problems.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
What a dummy that Benning is for getting a young top 6 winger to play with one of his young top 6 centers that has nobody to play with and looks like he's gonna cry at times because he hates his linemates.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
When we added Miller we had ton of cap room on top of that 5.25 million is not a terrible cap hit for a 2nd line winger until
he turns 30. What the **** is your problem.

You went out if you way to bump this thread for what ? Feel free to blame benning for the lack of cap space, when the Miller trade was made we had a ton of cap room.

And now we don’t, because he traded a high value asset to get Miller, and wasted cap dollars on overpaying Myers. If we can’t blame Benning for our cap woes, who’s at fault in your mind?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What a dummy that Benning is for getting a young top 6 winger to play with one of his young top 6 centers that has nobody to play with and looks like he's gonna cry at times because he hates his linemates.

Most Canuck fans here probably would have been fine with Miller as a target acquisition if he actually bothered to negotiate a price rather than giving Tampa they're starting asking price straight up. Not all 1st round picks are equal, and considering the Canucks position we should have been able to get it done starting with our 2nd.

Reactions: Szechwan

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
Fully agreed.

That's the problem because I don't think the Canucks are going to make the playoffs this year so they will keep the pick then have no control for the 21 draft when Edler and Tanev are yet even older and if Hughes and Myers don't play to 100% of their expectations it could get ugly.
Canucks are going to make the playoffs and that first is going to be a low twenties pick and who cares about the third rounder we have no luck there anyways this will make Jim Benning a half decent GM and justify his extension

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018

It is protected if Canucks are in the lottery year 1. If they miss it becomes unprotected in 2021.

I am not comparing Kessel and miller. Just the fact that the pick could become a very good player (seguin). Sorry for the confusion

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
And now we don’t, because he traded a high value asset to get Miller, and wasted cap dollars on overpaying Myers. If we can’t blame Benning for our cap woes, who’s at fault in your mind?

He's 100% to blame for their cap trouble but these contract aren't the main culprit. It was moves like signing a 31 year old Erkisson to 6X6 for the expressed purpose of playing with the 35 year old Sedin twins, desperately trying to squeeze another playoff berth out of the old core. Or giving 33 year old career 4th liner Jay Beagle 3X4 because he won a cup that year. Or signing Gagner to 3.1X3 when no one would pick him up on waivers two seasons prior. Those three contracts were signed when the team had no reasonable shot at the playoff, equate to 10M of cap space right now and will contribute little to the team next year. Aquisition costs aside, adding Myers and Miller makes this team better at a time when their core is on an upswing. Maybe better moves could have been made but at least these ones make some sense.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canucks are going to make the playoffs and that first is going to be a low twenties pick and who cares about the third rounder we have no luck there anyways this will make Jim Benning a half decent GM and justify his extension

Really what teams are they going to beat out for a playoff spot?

I see a solid 5 teams from the central making the playoffs and that's before acknowledging that the black Hawks (not one of the 5 teams) are also better going into next season.

Everything would need to go 100% in the Canucks favor and alot would have to go wrong for one of San Jose, Calgary or Vegas to not make it in the pacific.

Heck the Yotes or Ducks have a good chance of being better than us next year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad