Confirmed Trade: [VAN/TBL] J.T. Miller for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd round pick, and 2020 conditional 1st round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
You think the Canucks will be a top 12 team in the league?

Anything can happen in 2 years. All it takes is them pulling a Columbus as an 8th seed and it’s a done deal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Totally agree. You don't move your most valuable trade chip for a complimentary player. The only way I'd move that pick is in a package for a young top pair D.

Yea especially this year with guys like Werenski and Provorov. Get an important, strong positional player instead.

Its way easier to find/bring a player up like Miller within your system as opposed to drafting guys like Provorov/Werenski/McAvoy etc.

I honestly don't know how Benning still has a job. How can you even allow yourself to hire someone this bad as an organization? Gotta wonder what the screening process must be like..

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He asked what was wrong with Miller's contract. If we are looking at cap space as an asset especially going into the unknown of what the future holds with the cap ceiling I would much rather have $6 million for one year and then be done with it as opposed to $750k less for another 3 years beyond that. Especially for a team not yet ready to compete like Vancouver. Guys like Miller and Myers dont move the needle and just clog up cap space and whose additions aren't worth signifying the end of a rebuild (which the trading of a 1st clearly does).

If the Canucks are already struggling to get Boeser signed I cant wait to see how Hughes and Pettersson and their $25 million combined fit in.

When we added Miller we had ton of cap room on top of that 5.25 million is not a terrible cap hit for a 2nd line winger until
he turns 30. What the f*** is your problem.

You went out if you way to bump this thread for what ? Feel free to blame benning for the lack of cap space, when the Miller trade was made we had a ton of cap room.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Tampa was a “stacked” team that got swept in round 1 by an 8th seed. If anyone’s overrated it’s them. They didn’t win this deal. This draft pick will end up in the 20’s.

Do you really think the Canucks will be a top 10 team in 20-21 (as they won't give up next season pick not making the playoffs in a deep draft IMO.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i think this narrative that Benning should have got a deal because Tampa could use the cap space is bad. If the Leafs trade Marner for futures should the Leafs be selling cheap because they decide they would like to have the cap space rather than allocate 12 million to Marner?.

As long as a player is good, is at an age where hes not about to go off a cliff and has a market place you will pay market value.
A 50 pt forward at 5 million is an asset. A 1st and a 3rd is fair value.

The only way this gets complicated is because there is a possibility this becomes a lottery pick. Then and only then is this a bad trade.

Think about it if Tampa's forward group was Stamkos Kucherov and Point plus the Canucks forwards 4-9 you would do this deal?

There is an argument regarding timing and where the team is at.

I like this trade if its 16-25

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Calling it now Miller hits 60+ points this year playing in the top 6 and centering the 2nd PP line

He might hit 60 points but as a winger Horvat will still be the center on the second unit and EP40 running the first unit.

Even if he hots 60 points will it come at the expense from any of the current big 3 or do they keep climbing the ladder as well?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He might hit 60 points but as a winger Horvat will still be the center on the second unit and EP40 running the first unit.

Even if he hots 60 points will it come at the expense from any of the current big 3 or do they keep climbing the ladder as well?

Even if hes a 60 point winger it still won't be worth it if Van gives up a lottery pick.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
For me it’s still to early to judge this trade. If the pick ends up being outside of the top 10 I think it’s good because an 11-20 pick isn’t likely going to be as good as Miller and they won’t be helpful until years later. Benning shouldn’t give a care about Tampa’s cap situation he was able to score a good player from them.

Reactions: John Johnson

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
When we added Miller we had ton of cap room on top of that 5.25 million is not a terrible cap hit for a 2nd line winger until
he turns 30. What the **** is your problem.

You went out if you way to bump this thread for what ? Feel free to blame benning for the lack of cap space, when the Miller trade was made we had a ton of cap room.

I did not bump it. There was another poster that did but that was shortly after deleted . Someone responding to AndreRoy's post saying "thank u next". And then that his words were so prophetic he wondered if he had a blog he could follow.

Can mods find deleted posts so I can clear my name?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Even if hes a 60 point winger it still won't be worth it if Van gives up a lottery pick.

This trade pretty much has an asterix on it until we know where that first pick lands. It's still an overpaid but lets say Vancouver gets in at 7th and wins a round—as unlikely as that may be. Suddenly that 1st isn't a big deal anymore.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Tampa was a “stacked” team that got swept in round 1 by an 8th seed. If anyone’s overrated it’s them. They didn’t win this deal. This draft pick will end up in the 20’s.
Lol Vancouver has as many ROW as Ottawa’s last year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This trade pretty much has an asterix on it until we know where that first pick lands. It's still an overpaid but lets say Vancouver gets in at 7th and wins a round—as unlikely as that may be. Suddenly that 1st isn't a big deal anymore.

That's pretty much what we thought the return would be. Anything better is great for us. But I think Miller will work out fine in Vancouver. He might get 60 points in the right situation.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019

Couldn't agree more with this. The point has never been that JT is a bad guy, or a bad player, or anything like that. I hope he exceeds expectations. Whether or not he does that, I believe it was a bad call by a bad GM who was desperate.

Reactions: wetcoast

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Couldn't agree more with this. The point has never been that JT is a bad guy, or a bad player, or anything like that. I hope he exceeds expectations. Whether or not he does that, I believe it was a bad call by a bad GM who was desperate.

True. They're a tanking team and should keep all their picks and especially their first until they can find a player like McDavid via the draft.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
True. They're a tanking team and should keep all their picks and especially their first until they can find a player like McDavid via the draft.

The frick is this, what makes you think that pick will actually not bust ?

Reactions: EP40

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Wether people here the it’s a good trade or not it’s up to them. That said I refuse to believe no one thinks we are a better team with him. He is proven top 6 offensive player and also proven agitator. We brought him in because there was too much pressure to have all the offence in 3 early 20 year olds.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The frick is this, what makes you think that pick will actually not bust ?

That's on your management/scouting staff, you really shouldn't bust on high value draft picks (top 10'ish). Also that's considering Miller pans out better than expected (as a 60 point player), that's the best case scenario for you.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018

I agree with your prediction. This trade looks eerily to when leafs traded an unprotected 1st for kessel.

Canucks may make playoffs, but they could also finish bottom 5. I like Miller, but this is a bad trade for Canucks

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Lol nice one. Even if the pick ends up being 31st overall, Tampa does this trade any day of the week. Their #1 priority was to clear cap space to sign Point, not to get the best value possible. That was just a plus.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wether people here the it’s a good trade or not it’s up to them. That said I refuse to believe no one thinks we are a better team with him. He is proven top 6 offensive player and also proven agitator. We brought him in because there was too much pressure to have all the offence in 3 early 20 year olds.
The only people I've ever known JT Miller to agitate are his own fans.

Reactions: Oryxo

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Lol nice one. Even if the pick ends up being 31st overall, Tampa does this trade any day of the week. Their #1 priority was to clear cap space to sign Point, not to get the best value possible. That was just a plus.
But how can you go home and look your SO in the eyes when you lost a trade? :help:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Vancouver will not be that bad in 2021.

They have EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Miller all in their primes. If they are a bottom 5 team by then they might as well sell the franchise
Hughes in his prime? Since when do defenseman peak that early? :laugh: Oilers have more than that and are constantly near the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad