[VAN/TBL] Cond. 1st ('20 / '21) Plus for J.T. Miller || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tampa's cap situation doesn't matter if the player they are trading is highly sought-after by multiple teams; this is common sense, not sure why you think differently here.

A team's cap situation always matters. It's Tampa's job to convey a good market despite their weakened cap position. On the flipside, it's Vancouver's job to highlight that weakness and their own ability to take on cap. The clear need to shed Miller's salary is apparent throughout.

You're using a generic term for Miller that you're well aware doesn't describe him very well because it suits your argument. Various excellent Toronto players may soon be "cap dumps" and will return more than a 1st and a 3rd.

Which will not render inaccurate the label of "cap dump". It seldom refers to good players, but it still applies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You're using a generic term for Miller that you're well aware doesn't describe him very well because it suits your argument. Various excellent Toronto players may soon be "cap dumps" and will return more than a 1st and a 3rd.

Your lack of understanding for what the term cap dump means doesn’t make my use of said term inaccurate. He was a cap dump. Just because he’s not a useless player like several the Canucks are stuck with doesn’t change the fact that Tampa needed to clear salary, and Miller was a casualty of that. They deemed him expendable. And Benning paid full price.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
A team's cap situation always matters. It's Tampa's job to convey a good market despite their weakened cap position. On the flipside, it's Vancouver's job to highlight that weakness and their own ability to take on cap. The clear need to shed Miller's salary is apparent throughout.

Yet if the player is in demand, and there are multiple bids on him, does this not drive up the price? Maybe the cap situation just made him available. It does not mean he could be had at a discount if many teams are after him.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Wow. Miller is not worth a top 5 pick, no matter how great you think this trade may be.

That's the price it would take to move him for me and it should be that price. Not trading an asset like that for anything less.

Would you trade Horvat for anything less than that?

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes a strict unprotected first rounder from the Canucks would be a terrific deal for the Lightning. That wasn't the deal though. There was a condition. I'm not going to pretend I know what the exact odds are but with Miller, a bubble Canuck team could make the playoffs in one of those two seasons.

A year and pandemic later we don't fully know yet. It looks like it it will be a 15+ pick, in not ouch. It really is still pandemic pending. Season cancelled, it should not be a lottery pick, the small chance the season continues then well we shall see. In my opinion the Canucks have a better chance of being out of the lottery this year than next.

This trade ranges from solid to outstanding for Tampa and solid to soul crushing for Vancouver. Right now trending to be solid for both.

Opinions evolve where the knowledge of the conditional picks lands, beit a lottery pick or 15+.

Millier's caeer year does not serves as the primary purpose. Being his typical 50+ point two-way on a good contract is. I accept his norm and do not expect that high even though would be welcomed.

Are future pieces such as prospects and draft picks easier to attain at the tdl then at the draft? Easier to give up the unkown months out opposed to what is infront of you.

Not you in particular but I do still shake my head at plainly calling Miller a cap dump. Yes, Tampa needed to move salary but as a stacked team, the moved a desirable contract (because of the players attached). Miller was never going to be a penny on the dollar situation

A lot to unpack here:

The cap dump argument is such a waste of time because no one should be arguing whether or not Miller was a cap dump, he was. Tampa had to move him due to cap concerns. Once that term is parked, then the impact on value is discussed, which is the real issue.

Next, the condition on the 1st rounder only slightly averts risk. With a team that had the 2nd worst record over a 4 year span, and had finished 22nd overall as a high point, what math would you be using to conclude they were a bubble team as a baseline? Think about the logic behind this assertion.

For people such as myself who see the trade as being brutal in thought pattern, locking the pick into the 15+ range will be a sigh of relief. A bad GM making a bizarre trade that averted disaster due to luck.

Knowing where the pick lands does not add nuance to an opinion. It merely grounds an opinion that was already nuanced. For example, there are people already calling this trade a win regardless of where the pick lands. That opinion is not bettered by further information.

The primary purpose of acquiring Miller was to have him help the Canucks make the playoffs. At 60 points or 80 points, the playoffs are/were still the goal. Meaning, his performance should have been secondary to that end. Yet, his performance was isolated as the only marker.

I would say that future pieces are easier to acquire for bad teams at the TDL than at the draft, yes. I look no further than Benning's readiness to give up picks pre-draft and then chase them at the draft only to fall short.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yet if the player is in demand, and there are multiple bids on him, does this not drive up the price? Maybe the cap situation just made him available. It does not mean he could be had at a discount if many teams are after him.

Ok, so we agree that the camp situation made him available = cap dump.

As to price, yes, if there are multiple bidders with relatively equal assets and cap space, a bidding war will drive up the price. However, this will lead people to digging up some older rumours that should douse this notion. If no one does, I may be inclined to do so.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

As to price, yes, if there are multiple bidders with relatively equal assets and cap space, a bidding war will drive up the price. However, this will lead people to digging up some older rumours that should douse this notion. If no one does, I may be inclined to do so.
The term "cap dump" has associations that don't apply in this case that you're deliberately trying to place in the conversation. The fact is that considering the outcome so far, any GM would make this trade even if they knew their team would be on the bubble and up against the cap the following season. Miller ended up being that valuable. Once again, the fact that Benning is simply a poor GM on the balance isn't enough for some posters on this board. You don't have a position, you have an ideology. A fan of any other team reading this conversation would laugh at you in bewilderment.

Reactions: Numba9

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

A cap casualty is not a cap dump. You imply there is no value to this player.

edit: I know I am picking here. No matter what made him available, there will be teams who are interested that will bid on him. Each team will bid what they think he is worth. Turns out he was worth a lot. I don't see many first round picks doing what he did here

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
2 different drafts*

And no, he didn’t knock it out of the park. Again, he paid full price for a cap dump. But I see you didn’t bother to address that.
It happened in the 2019 draft if I’m not mistaken. I’m sure Tampa would have jumped on that pick 10th overall. It’s like 3 drafts if you view it that way.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
A cap casualty is not a cap dump. You imply there is no value to this player.

edit: I know I am picking here. No matter what made him available, there will be teams who are interested that will bid on him. Each team will bid what they think he is worth. Turns out he was worth a lot. I don't see many first round picks doing what he did here

The term cap casualty also has value associations. It means the player was not important enough to the roster to keep and was shed for cap relief. Either way you slice it, each term still carries negative value connotations, but either term could apply because that's what happened.

The term "cap dump" has associations that don't apply in this case that you're deliberately trying to place in the conversation. The fact is that considering the outcome so far, any GM would make this trade even if they knew their team would be on the bubble and up against the cap the following season. Miller ended up being that valuable. Once again, the fact that Benning is simply a poor GM on the balance isn't enough for some posters on this board. You don't have a position, you have an ideology. A fan of any other team reading this conversation would laugh at you in bewilderment.

Would they be the same fans that sent condolence messages to VAN fans when the trade was made?

My ideology adopts the best practices of past GM moves in order to assess this move. My position (process and result) then derives from this ideology. All of that stands outside of my criticism of Benning and would apply to any GM.

Luckily, this dialogue has been going on for some time and many of the better posters here have weighed in. Full descriptions as to why they thought this was a bad move have been well laid out. Specific markers like the team's 4 year record, over-reliance on Markstrom, bad underlying numbers etc... were put forward. Is this all ideology too? When does it become fact-based reasoning? When you say it does?

Ultimately, I think your method of argumentation is fruitless and damaging to the overall discussion. Your position has been to auto-defend what you perceive to be reactionary criticisms fueled by anti-Benning rhetoric. This disregards the homework actually put forth by many posters.

Last, your hypothetical is dubious because even considering the outcome so far we don't know if Miller returns to his 52~ point form, or do you? Or, that this team's baseline is to be on the bubble.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Not doubting, I just can't find the link, maybe poor googling skills. Genuinely curious to what he had to say.

Im too tired to go dig it up. But I recall it was something along the lines of no other team being willing to move a first round pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
With J.T. Miller trade, Jim Benning has made a risky bet on making the playoffs

“The Canucks didn’t get a discount for that favour. A report came out from Sportsnet’s John Shannon that not many other teams were in on J.T. Miller, so that wouldn’t have driven the price up. Then Sportsnet’s Iain MacIntyre reported that Benning avoided haggling on the Miller deal: the Lightning asked for a first and a third, so that’s what they got.“

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Happened the draft of 2019. They could have offered that pick as well and Tampa would have accepted the 10th overall

What stupid argument is that? Its the same as saying they could have also offeree Pettersson or Hughes because they were Canucks when the trade happened.

Seriously, either admit you were wrong or at least make a believable argument.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You snooze you lose.

I missed out on buying quite a few stocks during the March lows because I decided to place an order a few cents below then current bid price rather than accept the bid price. :oops:

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That's the price it would take to move him for me and it should be that price. Not trading an asset like that for anything less.

Would you trade Horvat for anything less than that?
I mean I'd definitely take a 5th overall pick if someone offered it but that's hardly realistic.

Trading Horvat is one thing, but we don't even know that Miller's production is going to be PPG from here on out. I just don't see how what is likely a career season from him increases his value that much.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So now you’re claiming Benning was asleep on the job?
I wonder if Benning was pushed by our owner to make that trade? Soon after Benning signed Myers too. It’s like our owner wanted to get better now, even if it meant sacrificing the future.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wonder if Tampa is having 'buyer's remorse' about basically dumping Miller for cap considerations? A first rounder seemed like a decent return at the time from a lottery team like the Canucks.

But when Vancouver posted a winning record this season, the Bolts thought so little of the pick, they traded it to the Devils at the deadline.

Seems to me that in Miller, they might have picked the wrong contract to dump.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I wonder if Benning was pushed by our owner to make that trade? Soon after Benning signed Myers too. It’s like our owner wanted to get better now, even if it meant sacrificing the future.

There were reports leading up to the draft that the Canucks wanted to make a big move in front of the home crowd. Seems like an Aquilini plan to me.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad