[VAN/TBL] Cond. 1st ('20 / '21) Plus for J.T. Miller || Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Pretty much every media member hated it except Andrew Walker. So there you go.

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
I don't really mind this trade at all. Canucks will compete a little next season, and hopefully land into a WC spot. That'll put that 1st rounder somewhere in the 20+ position, which most of time you don't find players like JT Miller at that spot. The 3rd is whatever I guess, but you definitely can find good players there. Mazanec obviously is just a throw in roster position, because he's heading for Europe anyways.

I like the trade. Canucks fans flip out no matter what. We've missed the playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, and need to get better some time. That will be next season or the one after it. The 1st has lottery protection if we suck next season. We can't just keep tanking and hoping for a top 2 pick.

I think Miller will take strides on this team and become his former self from NY. He was on a completely stacked TB roster last season, and although the goals weren't all there, he still played awesome. He'll thrive on the Petey or Horvat line.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
When does Seattle begin playing games?

There's actually a solid chance that Seattle ends up being in a better position than us as early as 3-4 years into their existence.

They hired a very intelligent analytics focused woman as Director of Hockey operations. Seems like they're building a solid front office from the top down.

Meanwhile the word "analytics" is blacklisted within the Canucks organization with anyone who even utters the word being ushered out by security immediately.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
There's actually a solid chance that Seattle ends up being in a better position than us as early as 3-4 years into their existence.
Look at what Vegas accomplished in their very first year. If Seattle can have the kind of expansion draft Vegas did they'll have their boot on the Canucks throats in year one.

That's exciting.

Reactions: Dana Murzyn

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't really mind this trade at all. Canucks will compete a little next season, and hopefully land into a WC spot. That'll put that 1st rounder somewhere in the 20+ position, which most of time you don't find players like JT Miller at that spot. The 3rd is whatever I guess, but you definitely can find good players there. Mazanec obviously is just a throw in roster position, because he's heading for Europe anyways.

I like the trade. Canucks fans flip out no matter what. We've missed the playoffs 5 of 6 seasons, and need to get better some time. That will be next season or the one after it. The 1st has lottery protection if we suck next season. We can't just keep tanking and hoping for a top 2 pick.

I think Miller will take strides on this team and become his former self from NY. He was on a completely stacked TB roster last season, and although the goals weren't all there, he still played awesome. He'll thrive on the Petey or Horvat line.
Yeah, remember all that outrage when Benning signed Edler a couple of days ago? Man, all that flipping out...

The whole "we've got to get good sometime!" argument is undone when you remember why the Canucks have been scraping the bottom for the last four seasons. The team never deliberately tanked, never tried to build through the draft, never tried to leverage its cap space (for the one year we had it...) to take bad contracts as well as prospects. All Benning's ever done is try to build a good team for right now. The entire time he's been here he's made exactly two deals consistent with rebuilding teams: the Burrows and Hansen deals. And even those have left us with not a hell of a lot.

Benning has tried to ice a competitive team for five years by trading picks and prospects for right now players. He has failed miserably. I don't think that trading picks and prospects for right now players really hard is going to change the outcome.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, remember all that outrage when Benning signed Edler a couple of days ago? Man, all that flipping out...

The whole "we've got to get good sometime!" argument is undone when you remember why the Canucks have been scraping the bottom for the last four seasons. The team never deliberately tanked, never tried to build through the draft, never tried to leverage its cap space (for the one year we had it...) to take bad contracts as well as prospects. All Benning's ever done is try to build a good team for right now. The entire time he's been here he's made exactly two deals consistent with rebuilding teams: the Burrows and Hansen deals. And even those have left us with not a hell of a lot.

Benning has tried to ice a competitive team for five years by trading picks and prospects for right now players. He has failed miserably. I don't think that trading picks and prospects for right now players really hard is going to change the outcome.
And when Benning is fired will the next guy be any improvement? Who will work for our owner knowing that the owner likes to meddle?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

They hired a very intelligent analytics focused woman as Director of Hockey operations. Seems like they're building a solid front office from the top down.

Meanwhile the word "analytics" is blacklisted within the Canucks organization with anyone who even utters the word being ushered out by security immediately.

That's not true . . .

. . . first they taser them.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I just love the condition on the pick. If we make the playoffs Benning will probably keep his job but if we miss the playoffs Benning will probably be let go and the pick goes to the next and year and basically screws over whoever the Canucks hire next. Just so clear that Benning is managing for his job and not the good of the team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
And when Benning is fired will the next guy be any improvement? Who will work for our owner knowing that the owner likes to meddle?
Well if he's not then I guess I'll be signing off as a Canucks fan until someone else owns the team because improvement will be impossible if Aquaman's going to continue to meddle. But seeing as how he's shown himself to be impressionable as well as meddlesome, I just hope that a bonafide good executive manages to bend his ear sometime and sell him on an actual vision of how a team operates from inception to contention to championship caliber.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

You act like tanking is a choice... Aside from a few select cases in NHL history, it's usually just a byproduct of a bad team. This has been a bad team for 4 years. Top10 pick bad. Scorching future earth while dismissing that history is nonsensical. It's Dorian level atrocious.

This is a terrible trade. If we really dug into the facts behind this deal, you could not defend it. Of that I am almost positive sure. There's just too much to criticize.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You act like tanking is a choice... Aside from a few select cases in NHL history, it's usually just a byproduct of a bad team. This has been a bad team for 4 years. Top10 pick bad. Scorching future earth while dismissing that history is nonsensical. It's Dorian level atrocious.

This is a terrible trade. If we really dug into the facts behind this deal, you could not defend it. Of that I am almost positive sure. There's just too much to criticize.

Respond to my posts then.

CurtisLoew

Dec 24, 2003
I wish we could have traded less for Miller obviously, but the trade isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. With our young core getting even better and if we pick up a free agent defenseman (whether good idea or not) then we are likely going to make the playoffs in the next two years. A 16-30 pick has probably at best a 30% chance of even making the NHL.

zoolander09

Oct 23, 2009

Nobodys freakin out about getting miller.
Its about what thay paid to get him.
And your scenario takes for granted that it will be a 20th pick.
Thats what ottawa thought.
What if its top 3?
Your still ok dealing a petterson, horvat or hughes for miller?
Great logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad