Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust | Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Prust is a great guy who can get his team fired up, never gives up, but we got his best years, last season he kind of become just a generic player, too many injuries.

Sounds like a great player.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I like Prust. I like his game.

But this is just an awful trade. I fail to see the rationale or logic behind the move. Add to the fact that the Canucks added the 5th round pick. What?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just woke up this morning to read this...why pile on? absolutely indefensible...some trades are so stupid that they literally have no redeemable quality

i feared this offseason and had the lowest of low expectations but honestly did not expect this organization to turn into a league-wide laughing stock so quickly

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Awful trade. Not going to bother getting deep into it because this team has lost the plot and I'm just kicking back and enjoying the hilarious contortions from people defending this regime. Funny.

I especially like the notion that Prust will return more than a 4th at the deadline. He won't, and the Canucks already gave up a 5th. I would have rather moved Kassian for a 5th rounder than this move.

Only thing left to do now is watch this team burn and pray they don't fluke into being within 8 points of a playoff spot at the deadline, or Benning will hold on to all his 2016 UFA's. And then we'll be looking at some 8m+ contracts for Lucic and Seabrook ;)

JA

The thing I don't get is why target Prust. We already have a Prust on the team with Dorsett.

Jim talked about hoping Virtanen might make the team this year. If so, I see Prust and Dorsett being two physical guys who can help guide Jake on that front as well as take some of the pressure off of him to hit everything in sight. You don't feel so alone when you have other people doing the same thing that you're expected to do. They can also feed off of each other's energy, and it also means that Jake isn't the first guy expected to step up if things get nasty on the ice. He has some protection in that sense and can nurture his offensive game too.

This is a good move for the sake of Jake Virtanen's development. Prust adds leadership in the game's physical department. With Brock Boeser fitting that role as well and probably expected to arrive here in a few years, it's probably a good move to start shipping out guys who don't play "big" and create a suitable environment for these young guys' development.

It's probably the same reason Jim wanted Lucic. It's about creating a comfortable environment with a few big, physical veteran leaders who can stand up for younger guys like Virtanen and help them to adapt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Only thing left to do now is watch this team burn and pray they don't fluke into being within 8 points of a playoff spot at the deadline, or Benning will hold on to all his 2016 UFA's. And then we'll be looking at some 8m+ contracts for Lucic and Seabrook ;)

Yeah, I mean most fans have wanted a rebuild for a while now. With the shipping out of guys like bieksa and garrison and the mantra of 'we're trying to get younger' it seems clear they're doing a rebuild but don't want to call it a rebuild. So I guess fans should be happy about that.

But this trade makes no sense even from the idea of a rebuild, since it makes us older and gives away one of our best young players for next to nothing. I'm sure if I dug into the history of the Nucks I could find a worse trade than this, but this is the worst one I remember during my last 5 years as a fan, and by a longshot. Very frustrating day

wingman20

Mar 9, 2015
I like Prust. I like his game.

But this is just an awful trade. I fail to see the rationale or logic behind the move. Add to the fact that the Canucks added the 5th round pick. What?

At first i thought it was Kassian for Prust and a fifth rounder from Canadiens. What? We are giving away another pick for a player 4 years with a higher cap hit.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Jim talked about hoping Virtanen might make the team this year. If so, I see Prust and Dorsett being two physical guys who can help guide Jake on that front as well as take some of the pressure off of him to hit everything in sight. You don't feel so alone when you have other people doing the same thing that you're expected to do. They can also feed off of each other's energy, and it also means that Jake isn't the first guy expected to step up if things get nasty on the ice. He has some protection in that sense and can nurture his offensive game too.

This is a good move for the sake of Jake Virtanen's development. Prust adds leadership in the game's physical department. With Brock Boeser fitting that role as well and probably expected to arrive here in a few years, it's probably a good move to start shipping out guys who don't play "big" and create a suitable environment for these young guys' development.

It's probably the same reason Jim wanted Lucic. It's about creating a comfortable environment with a few big, physical veteran leaders who can stand up for younger guys like Virtanen and help them to adapt.

I like this explanation.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
I wonder how much of this deal and the price was a result of Kassian's back injury? The team was awfully quiet when Kassian told the media that there were mornings where he physically couldn't get out of bed.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
The bashing Benning is taking on this board is unbelievable.

He has been with this club for just over 1 year.. In that first year he took this club from 83 points to 101 points.

He has rebuilt the cupboards with quality prospects, The likes we have never seen here.. Lets not forget he sticks to his guns on not trading any of these prospect..

He has been filling the gap in our prospect pool that Gillis pissed away.

This time last year a lot of you were up in arms about the moves he made and he proved you all wrong.

Give the guy a chance to build this team back up..

Lack had to go.. He wanted 4 mil a season next year

Beiska had to Go.. He wanted a contract extension

Kassian had to go.. the guy is so unmotivated .. His value is only high in Vancouver.. Kassian has been on the block for about a year with no takers.

Benning want to give JV every chance to make this team and we had way to many RW ..

Everyone take a deep breath and chill out... lets see how this plays out before you all have heart attacks

Also Kassian is an ASS .. the things he said after being traded

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The bashing Benning is taking on this board is unbelievable.

He has been with this club for just over 1 year.. In that first year he took this club from 83 points to 101 points.

He has rebuilt the cupboards with quality prospects, The likes we have never seen here.. Lets not forget he sticks to his guns on not trading any of these prospect..

He has been filling the gap in our prospect pool that Gillis pissed away.

This time last year a lot of you were up in arms about the moves he made and he proved you all wrong.

Give the guy a chance to build this team back up..

Kassian had to go.. the guy is so unmotivated .. His value is only high in Vancouver.. Kassian has been on the block for about a year with no takers.

Benning want to give JV every chance to make this team and we had way to many RW ..

Everyone take a deep breath and chill out... lets see how this plays out before you all have heart attacks

So much wrong with this....and by that I mean everything.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Source?
No one's really complaining about Bieksa going
So then why trade him while his value's so low? Why not give him an opportunity to try and develop in an offensive role and see if he does? Why give up a pick just to get rid of him?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Nobody's having a heart attack.

2015-16 is already foreseeable. It's going to be absolutely awful when at least one of Hamhuis, Tanev and the Sedins inevitably gets injured.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
Source?

No one's really complaining about Bieksa going

So then why trade him while his value's so low? Why not give him an opportunity to try and develop in an offensive role and see if he does? Why give up a pick just to get rid of him?

Did you not hear what Kassian said after being traded? The guy is a ass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad