Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust | Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Let's be clear. This is about the trade and how it affects the Canucks moving forward. While Jim Benning cannot be off limits in here, if you want to perform a general rant about him, we have a special thread just for you.

[nhl]831510[/nhl]

Last edited:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Awful trade. Trades a 24 year old, keeps all the older players. Why can't we just rebuild. The Vancouver Canucks think we like what they re doing by being as average as possible. It's embarrassing.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Does anyone else get the feeling that Benning went after "his guy" in Prust?

I hate to say overpayment but Prust/Kassian was a swap that I could begrudgingly live with. Why the hell did we throw in an extra 5th?

OTOH Prust is a perfect player for a team heading into the playoffs and at the trade deadline Benning could plan to flip him for a 2nd/3rd...hopefully.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I like Brandon Prust, but I'm not a fan of his age (31) and contract (only one year left).

If Benning didn't want Kassian here, then that's fine, but what I don't understand is the motivation to trade for a guy 7 years OLDER when management is actively trying to get the team younger.

Having said that, I like Prusts' character and grit, and it will be interesting to see what him and Dorsett do playing on the same line together. If Virtanen and/or Gaunce make the team, I think Prust is a guy that will rub off well on them. Prust is definitely a guy that will stick up for his teammates, and will allow the youngsters (and the twins) to play their game without fear.

Hopefully, if Prust is only destined to be here for one year, he will essentially just be a 'place' holder for if/when Milan Lucic signs here.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Prust-Vey-Dorsett won't even be able to get out of their own zone.

Kassian will hit 40 points next year.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
One of the worst trades we've ever made. I am officially done with this management group. What a joke.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Does anyone else get the feeling that Benning went after "his guy" in Prust?

OTOH Prust is a perfect player for a team heading into the playoffs and at the trade deadline Benning could plan to flip him for a 2nd/3rd...hopefully.

No, I don't think they targeted Prust. I think they spent 6 months shopping Kassian for the highest pick they could get, then determined they would get more for Prust at the deadline than any team would offer right now in a pick.

Depressing that our 'best young assets' garner so little interest by every other team in the NHL. Really puts into perspective how far we have to go here...

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I think some of the initial shock and anger over this deal have worn off and I'm starting to wrap my head around why this deal makes sense in any sort of way.

Kassian is extremely frustrating in that you can see what he could become then he disappears and gets demoted and sulks,or gets injured again and loses his spot in the lineup.There's so much potential there and giving up on him now is the worst possible time to sell.Even worse,trading him for an aging,declining energy guy seems like the opposite thing we should be doing.

If we had a 31 year old Prust who's play is falling off rapidly and we traded him for a player like Kassian there would be high fives all around the Canucks board(well,maybe not now as everything JB does is viewed negatively) but go back one year and it would be like that.The only thing I can think of is that Kassian's injury history and off ice issues are much worse than we know of so management has completely given up on him.

I sure hope Prust isn't as bad as I think he'll be and will be a great mentor to our youth.That's one more way Edmonton screwed up their rebuild so there might be a some value there in that regard.

I guess if Prust's value around the league is somewhere around a 3rd (he's miles better than Zac Rinaldo but several years older than Derek Dorsett for comparables) and we have to add a 5th to get him then that would put Kassian's current value around a 4th rounder.Would you trade a fourth rounder for ZK? I would but obviously other GMs wouldn't.

We seem to be in this crappy spot of having assets to sell that nobody wants lately (Lack,now Kassian) but Benning sells them anyways for low returns.

The Jesus*

DesertedFelineAlbino.gif

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
The thing that gets me most about this trade, is how blindsided I was. I wasn't expecting this, I let my guard down.

I was convinced earlier in the season, that Benning would trade Kassian. Then the trade deadline passed (Benning says he'd trade him for a player of a similar ilk, but wouldn't give him away), Benning says how happy he is with his progress (it would have to be clear to anyone that he became engaged and productive), did everything they said they wanted, and were going to work with him further, going forward. The handling of Kassian was applauded by some (who were of opposite opinions in posts to mine, and who we had discussions with)... a breakthrough. I think and say to myself (and perhaps a post or two in here), whatever this team needs to convince themselves that Kassian is untradeable. I also read some posts on here saying don't worry you all who doubted (and were reading too much into it), it was likely that Kassian was never seriously going to be traded, and it was all just to get him motivated... and the motivation worked.

For the 1st time all season, I think, they were probably right... it does look like they will be working with Kassian going forward, and perhaps all of this was just for motivation. Perhaps I was reading into this more than there actually was. I relax re: Kassian... he's safe.

And then, bam, a week or so later, traded. For nothing. He could probably have been traded to Boston at the deadline for their two 2nd's (instead of Connolly)... and they held out, for this. Two 2nd's wouldn't have been enough. This is just crazy.

Out of all the terrible moves Benning has made, this is the worst, IMO. This is a guy who can't see where he's going. It's like he's driving this bus in the fog. Some posters are looking for progress... holding out hope for progress? A year later, there is regression. He's gotten worse this year than last year... His decisions this year are a lot more terrible than his decisions last year. So far, the trend is down, not up.

I'd say fire Benning because of this move, on the spot. That would be my vote. But I won't and can't vote, for the sole reason (ignoring that I don't actually have a say, except if I decide not to renew my tickets all together), that I can't be convinced that he wouldn't just be replaced by Weisbrod. For as bad as Benning is, I think Weisbrod would be worse... and he's nicely lined up to take on more GM responsibilities, and Benning is nicely lined up to take on more amateur scouting responsibilities.

I don't think there will be a firing here, no matter what terrible moves Benning makes (perhaps a front office reshuffling)... and really, next to trading Sedins for practically nothing, or Horvat for practically nothing, or Edler for practically nothing... how much worse can he possibly get than what he has already done?

This trade should make it clear to practically anyone now, IMO, this is a ****ed up situation.

Last edited:

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Pretty ironic that another "mentor for the young players" cost us a young player. Completely brain dead trade.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Still pissed.

At the trade, at the return, at the brain-dead justifications JB gave on 1040, at how everyone seems to think our players are all bloody worthless and our management seems to agree.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
No, I don't think they targeted Prust. I think they spent 6 months shopping Kassian for the highest pick they could get, then determined they would get more for Prust at the deadline than any team would offer right now in a pick.

Depressing that our 'best young assets' garner so little interest by every other team in the NHL. Really puts into perspective how far we have to go here...

This is probably it.

What's even more depressing is that our 2008 10th OA pick,a player who should be a key part of the team and in his prime years,has turned into a broken down Brandon Prust.And we had had to add a 5th to get that...

Feels bad,man...:cry:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Still pissed.

At the trade, at the return, at the brain-dead justifications JB gave on 1040, at how everyone seems to think our players are all bloody worthless and our management seems to agree.

This is what pisses me off the most. No other teams in the league seem to value our 'best young players'.

Why are opposing fans always right about our players? When can we be right for once? :cry:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Pretty ironic that another "mentor for the young players" cost us a young player. Completely brain dead trade.

Less than that actually as Prust takes Kenins spot in the lineup.:laugh:

Not that Kenins was guaranteed a spot - but right now, I'd say there's zero chance of him sitting anywhere but in the pressbox (re: injury replacement player role).

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
So a young PWF and a pick for a washed up Vet. Remind anyone of another trade?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I like Prust the player.

I don't like the trade.

I think we could have gotten more but its hard to say, my fan value doesn't obviously match up with players' actual values.

Regardless, I will enjoy Prust as a Canuck. He's a good team guy, maybe a bit broken. I think to me it's obvious that we're gutting it down but maybe not in the best way possible. I'll refrain judgement until the summer is over and then look at the moves to come.

I don't think we'll be in the playoffs but I'd be fine with another top-10 pick. I just don't want to watch a bunch of rookies struggle to get there.

arsmaster*

http://youtu.be/hLdMZf9LuFI

Lasting Prust memory. I like him better than Dorsett because I actually think he's a better hockey player bit dorsett is faster.

I'm one of Zacks biggest fans. I'm happy I don't mind the Habs. Should be fun to track.

Trade is pretty bad. But "it's jim benning".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad