Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust | Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Imagine if mtl called and offered a 2nd for ZK and JB said we want Prust.

Lol sbisa 2.0

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems apparent now, the 'Nucks were desperate to get Kassian out of Dodge....obviously more going on here than we'll ever find out....a former first-round draft pick plus another draft pick, which Benning hates to give up, for a high-mileage veteran winger on an expiring contract?...ZK basically given away for nothing imo.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Seems apparent now, the 'Nucks were desperate to get Kassian out of Dodge....obviously more going on here than we'll ever find out....a former first-round draft pick plus another draft pick, which Benning hates to give up, for a high-mileage veteran winger on an expiring contract?...ZK basically given away for nothing imo.

And the 5th as well. Because who needs draft picks or young talented forwards when you can have a grinder on the wrong side of 30.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Hate the trade, starting to be hard to be a 'nuck fan with Benning as GM. Think i'm going to pay more attention to the BC Lions and probably just ignore the 'nucks next season.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Riley Smith would have been a nice piece to go after for Kassian.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Kinda like Lack? Garrison pretty much for Vey? Sbisa signed to a gigantic contract? Just an incompetent GM. However, I do believe Benning/WD didn't like ZK. (Just my random speculation but I believe Kassian must have given them a piece of his mind after the multiple games he was scratched. No way benning would tolerate that if it happened.)

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Kinda like Lack? Garrison pretty much for Vey? Sbisa signed to a gigantic contract? Just an incompetent GM. However, I do believe Benning/WD didn't like ZK. (Just my random speculation but I believe Kassian must have given them a piece of his mind after the multiple games he was scratched. No way benning would tolerate that if it happened.)

I don't think that happened. They were just fixated on the idea that Kassian needed to fight and scrum and muck it up (big body Canadian kid ruh-roh), instead of being a finesse type of skill player that he is (with some prowess on physicality).

Then they were disappointed because they didn't see that from Kassian, and refused to acknowledge that Kassian had skills in other areas (like scoring and making plays) that make him more useful. Hence he barely saw PP and no top 6 time.

Basically they wanted him to play different style, they wanted to make him a grinder, no matter what he showed. Idiocy, but that's to be expected.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I find it kind of funny that trading away a 5th round pick is what is sending so many fans over the edge.

A 5th Round Pick! The odds of a player drafted in the 5th round of playing 100 NHL games is like 8%.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Something good could come out of the trade if he's flipped for a reasonable pick next year and serves as a good locker room guy and mentor figure until then. We'll see.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I find it kind of funny that trading away a 5th round pick is what is sending so many fans over the edge.

A 5th Round Pick! The odds of a player drafted in the 5th round of playing 100 NHL games is like 8%.

So why make the move at all?

Benning himself stated he doesn't intend to extend Prust's contract.

Let Kassian rot in the pressbox if they feel he has no value. At worst, they keep their 5th round pick.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Something good could come out of the trade if he's flipped for a reasonable pick next year and serves as a good locker room guy and mentor figure until then. We'll see.

He's still taking a roster spot away from one of our younger LWs - or worse yet forcing Benning to trade a better LW (Higgins).

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Let Kassian rot in the pressbox if they feel he has no value. At worst, they keep their 5th round pick.

I'm not speaking anything towards it being a good or bad deal. But it's a fairly insignificant asset that have sent people over the edge here. It's not like we traded our best prospect for a 31 year-old grinder. It was an underperforming player with a ton of baggage that fell out of favour with the coaches and management, and frustrated the fans. And a 5th round pick. 5th round.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

In fairness, Benning can probably "recoup" that 5th rounder by trading Higgins... so the 5th rounder has perhaps just temporarily disappeared.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Let's give away all our late picks for free!

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I really don't understand this trade at all. It feels like we're going into a rebuild, but how do you trade a young guy oozing with potential if you are doing a rebuild?

Don't see many reasons to follow this team next season.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I really don't understand this trade at all. It feels like we're going into a rebuild, but how do you trade a young guy oozing with potential if you are doing a rebuild?

Don't see many reasons to follow this team next season.

Oozing? Seems like his potential has been oozing for so long he's got no more left.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

I guess the thought is Prust will garner more at the trade deadline, pick wise ? Though really I can only see it being a 3rd + B prospect. I get the theory but again disappointed in execution.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria

How could we not know? The guy has been injured or returning from injury for two years. He didn't play hurt in the playoffs, so it's either serious back problems or a serious attitude problem.

Add to that his almost comical inability to get the puck out of the defensive zone, a sign if there ever was one that a guy has no hockey sense, and I don't think we gave up much here.

I was hoping for so much more from Kassian too, but he's got a broken head and body at this point, add to that that he is on the officiating committees blacklist, I doubt he plays another 100 NHL games.

The only blessing here is that Hodgson has somehow panned out even worse!

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
He's still taking a roster spot away from one of our younger LWs - or worse yet forcing Benning to trade a better LW (Higgins).

We could have just waived him and let him go.

I don't understand why we had to pay to get rid of him, unless they really move Prust for a higher pick later on this season.

I do see the flaws in Kassian's game. And I can understand why he was traded. I just don't get paying that 5th in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad