Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Alex Biega for David Pope

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Do you actually have any sources for these fantasies? I can't believe he would turn down jobs like that.

You can't imagine a 60 year old man not wanting to move for a job that he doesn't need?

Don't forget he wasn't a career hockey executive. He was a player agent who was offered a job with the Canucks, and IIRC didn't even accept it immediately. It is not even remotely unreasonable to think that maybe he's happy living a quiet low-stress life?

Insane! This 60 year old doesn't want to move to Edmonton to work long hours in a high stress job that he doesn't need? I absolutely cannot believe such a thing!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I see Biega has already been called up to Detroit. He and 3 of the younger guys were called up and 4 Wings were placed on injured reserve. You see the injuries will allow you to assess the development of your kids while still playing the reserve Veteran D-man. It's so easy.

Stevie Y must be an idiot to allow this older guy onto the Wings when he has some hot young D-men in Grand Rapids (and he really does) who need to make their way into the show and he let's Biega block their chances. He will fill out the bottom of his roster with low cost players while he builds the young core together on the farm before moving them up en masse after knowing success at the AHL level before taking on the NHL.

I wonder how long it will take Detroit to get to the playoffs counting Stevie Y's entrance as day 1. He built powerhouses in both Syracuse and Tampa Bay. He was runner up to Gillis for GM of the year in 2010, his 1st year there. He won GM of the year in 2015 after losing to Chicago in the Stanley Cup Finals. The team has gone on to continued success with the Cup as the only thing they didn't win.

I like his chances of returning Detroit to prominence. He's already got a full slate of prospects playing together in the AHL not in Detroit. It is a team that will win a lot of AHL games. The Calder Cup? Things always have to go right for a team to win the grail. Glad the Comets can avoid them during the regular season. The Syracuse Crunch and Toronto are Marlies, built in the same vein, are enough challenges in one division. It's no coincidence that the Crunch and Marlies are farms of 2 other successful franchises, the Crunch with Stevie Y's former Lightning and the Marlies with the Maple Leafs.

Another team built the same way is Carolina's farm in Charlotte. They defeated Toronto in the Eastern Conference finals in 6 games before taking out the West's best, the Chicago Wolves, in 5 games. The Comets will play the defending Calder Cup champs twice in a cross divisions home and away. All 3 AHL teams are loaded once again.

Last edited:

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
You do know about the limit of professional contracts right? We dealt one professional contract (a guy who is a depth guy in the NHL) for one professional contract (a guy who is a depth guy in the AHL). And that *IGNORES* the position each players play. Nothing earth shattering (ala Cam Neely) but still stupid.

Ok...sure. I am still laughing about this thread. People are under the assumption that other GM's were offering draft picks and AHL scoring centermen and Benning was saying "No way! I want Pope or forget it!"...What do some of you think happened here? Benning immediately stated that he made the best deal he could keeping in mind he was trying to do the right thing for Biegas career. Could he have waited and got a better deal? Maybe marginally. Could he have kept Biega? Yah...but he sacrificed a pawn to help the king/queen. (ie players around the league notice when GM looks out for them)

I am anything but a Benning supporter...I have a lot of issues with some of the moves or lack thereof he has made but this is a walk-away and move on with your lives event peeps...like now...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ok...sure. I am still laughing about this thread. People are under the assumption that other GM's were offering draft picks and AHL scoring centermen and Benning was saying "No way! I want Pope or forget it!"...What do some of you think happened here? Benning immediately stated that he made the best deal he could keeping in mind he was trying to do the right thing for Biegas career. Could he have waited and got a better deal? Maybe marginally. Could he have kept Biega? Yah...but he sacrificed a pawn to help the king/queen. (ie players around the league notice when GM looks out for them)

I am anything but a Benning supporter...I have a lot of issues with some of the moves or lack thereof he has made but this is a walk-away and move on with your lives event peeps...like now...

Hot damn...

Jimbo playing dat 6D underwater parcheesi yo.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Who the **** said he had to do anything? Keep the NHL depth D instead of trading him for a ECHLer as the later still uses up a professional contract slot for zero purpose as the AHL affiliate doesn’t need depth wingers as much as a veteran D. Dumb move that is minor in nature but still a dumb move.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
How can you trade a Pope?

giphy.gif

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I’m all for prospects developing in the minors. There is a tipping point where they need to show what they can do at the next level. If a 22 year old isn’t ready to be tested in that regard then they will probably never make it - time to cut bait. If they’re a question mark, time to test whether they can do it. The team has 4 or 5 prospects in this category.

I think you’re right that for some players there is a point at which you have to see what they can do, but I don’t think that there are any Comets’ defencemen in that position.

The question of when it is appropriate is probably a point of some disagreement. I don’t see how it makes any sense to apply the idea of clearing out space to see what someone can do unless:

-the player is already really good in the AHL, good enough to be considered potentially ready to be a regular at the NHL level, and

-the player has finished his minor league development.

The reasons for this are pretty simple. If the player hasn’t finished his minor league development you can let him finish in the AHL and you don’t yet need to clear space for him at a higher level.

If the player isn’t showing so well in the AHL that there’s reason to consider him a regular, then there is virtually no point in making room for him. There’s no need to clear space for a depth player. He’ll get a few chances through injury anyway, but you can pick up that level of player cheaply on waivers or as unwanted free agents every season. You don’t want to force someone into your lineup when he hasn’t given any indication that he really belongs there.

This is really different from a higher level of player who has given every indication of being ready. I don’t think anybody on the Comets’ defence has given any indication of presently being more than a fillin when necessary.

Let’s look at the Comets’ defencemen:

Olli Juolevi: Not finished developing and his defensive and physical play are poor even at the AHL level. People hope he’ll develop into a top-4 defenceman in the NHL but he’s not there. There’s no reason at this time to clear space for him.

Mitch Eliot-rookie professional, has just begun developing and hasn’t shown himself capable at the AHL level. Clearing NHL space for him at present would be silly.

Josh Teves-in a similar position to Eliot

Ashton Sautner-He’s 25 years old and turned into an AHL defenceman, but even at the AHL level he provides next to no offence and merely decent defence. He isn’t near being too good for the AHL and has shown absolutely nothing to make one think he’s more than depth at the NHL level. I don’t mind at all that Sautner is one of the guys they can use when desperate, but there’s no reason to make room for him to develop into the kind of depth that is available cheaply every year in free agency and on waivers. He just isn’t good enough to have to make room for him.

Guillaume Brisebois-22 years old but otherwise in much the same position as Sautner. Despite Benning and Johnson pumping his tires, he provides very little offence even at the AHL level and is no rock on defence either. At this stage there is no reason whatsoever to think he’s a capable NHL regular. If he’s going to get there he needs further development. He’s on his last elc season but will be a cheap RFA next season and imo he hasn’t shown nearly enough to deserve a regular look at the NHL level. Again, he’s, at best, depth at the present time. No reason to make room for him yet. Let him develop into what the organization hopes he can be, don’t force him into a slot he hasn’t shown himself ready for, nor send him to the NHL pressbox when you hope he’ll develop further.

Jalen Chatfield-was injured much of last season, poor at the AHL level when he was healthy and makes Sautner and Brisebois look like offensive stars by comparison. I presume nobody thinks there is any reason to make room for him at the NHL level.

Brogan Rafferty-Going by some reports, he might be the Canucks defensive prospect who is closest to being ready, but even though he’s 24 years old, he’s a raw rookie who still needs some adjustment to the pro level. Even if the organization feels he’ll come along quickly, he’s only played 3 professional games and certainly isn’t finished developing in Utica. If he develops as people hope I could see a time coming when room should be made for him but even for the most optimistic projections he can still learn for at least part of the season in Utica before there’s any likelihood that he’s knocking down the doors to the NHL. I wouldn’t dream of making room for him at this time, but the Canucks may want to review his progress part way through the season.

Just like it is bad planning to spend much money on bottom line, bottom pair and depth skaters, imo it is just as poor planning to make room for prospects that haven’t finished developing or who are unlikely to develop past the depth defence level. Use them if they’re the best depth you’ve got, slot them in when too many injuries hit, but they are easily replaced and you really don't want them in the lineup on a regular basis.

I don't believe in calling up youngsters for prolonged stays in the pressbox. For prolonged stays in the pressbox, you want a guy like ... Alex Biega. Cheap, dependable, accepting of his role and not good enough that another team will snap him up for it's roster unless the regulars are hurt.

Disclosure: I'm not normally a Comets watcher, so my opinions about the players come, almost entirely, from reading reports about them. Note I'm not in any way projecting what they can be in the future, but am making judgments about what they've demonstrated themselves to be at this stage of their development base on reports from other posters.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I will say that this is a classy move by Benning who is apparently honouring a promise to a loyal foot soldier but it does this team no good whatsoever, even at the minor league level. I'm not exactly a Benning hater but this trade is bunk...
I would say it's almost the exact same situation that Josh leivo was in and well while we lost this trade it's important players feel their boss has got their back

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I would say it's almost the exact same situation that Josh leivo was in and well while we lost this trade it's important players feel their boss has got their back

Yeah and perhaps Benning is trying to show potential free agents out there that he is a "player's GM" in order to make Vancouver a more acceptable destination for players. But as a hockey trade this makes no sense at all...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
How can you trade a Pope?

View attachment 261977

Well the way it works is, you have to kill the old pope with a magic hammer before you get to replace him with a new pope.

"This non-scientific process gave way to one that has been around for centuries. When the pope is thought to have died, the papal chamberlain (the guy in charge after the pope’s death) takes a silver hammer made for the occasion and taps the pope’s head three times, all the while calling out the pope’s baptismal name with each hit. If the pope does not respond, the chamberlain turns to those in the room and ceremonially says, “The pope is truly dead” and immediately he falls to his knees and prays Psalm 130, the De Profundis, a penitential psalm."

Rituals Surrounding the Death of a Pope | Papal Artifacts

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo and the_fan

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think you’re right that for some players there is a point at which you have to see what they can do, but I don’t think that there are any Comets’ defencemen in that position.

The question of when it is appropriate is probably a point of some disagreement. I don’t see how it makes any sense to apply the idea of clearing out space to see what someone can do unless:

-the player is already really good in the AHL, good enough to be considered potentially ready to be a regular at the NHL level, and

The reasons for this are pretty simple. If the player hasn’t finished his minor league development you can let him finish in the AHL and you don’t yet need to clear space for him at a higher level.

If the player isn’t showing so well in the AHL that there’s reason to consider him a regular, then there is virtually no point in making room for him. There’s no need to clear space for a depth player. He’ll get a few chances through injury anyway, but you can pick up that level of player cheaply on waivers or as unwanted free agents every season. You don’t want to force someone into your lineup when he hasn’t given any indication that he really belongs there.

This is really different from a higher level of player who has given every indication of being ready. I don’t think anybody on the Comets’ defence has given any indication of presently being more than a fillin when necessary.

Olli Juolevi: Not finished developing and his defensive and physical play are poor even at the AHL level. People hope he’ll develop into a top-4 defenceman in the NHL but he’s not there. There’s no reason at this time to clear space for him.

Mitch Eliot-rookie professional, has just begun developing and hasn’t shown himself capable at the AHL level. Clearing NHL space for him at present would be silly.

Ashton Sautner-He’s 25 years old and turned into an AHL defenceman, but even at the AHL level he provides next to no offence and merely decent defence. He isn’t near being too good for the AHL and has shown absolutely nothing to make one think he’s more than depth at the NHL level. I don’t mind at all that Sautner is one of the guys they can use when desperate, but there’s no reason to make room for him to develop into the kind of depth that is available cheaply every year in free agency and on waivers. He just isn’t good enough to have to make room for him.

Guillaume Brisebois-22 years old but otherwise in much the same position as Sautner. Despite Benning and Johnson pumping his tires, he provides very little offence even at the AHL level and is no rock on defence either. At this stage there is no reason whatsoever to think he’s a capable NHL regular. If he’s going to get there he needs further development. He’s on his last elc season but will be a cheap RFA next season and imo he hasn’t shown nearly enough to deserve a regular look at the NHL level. Again, he’s, at best, depth at the present time. No reason to make room for him yet. Let him develop into what the organization hopes he can be, don’t force him into a slot he hasn’t shown himself ready for, nor send him to the NHL pressbox when you hope he’ll develop further.

Jalen Chatfield-was injured much of last season, poor at the AHL level when he was healthy and makes Sautner and Brisebois look like offensive stars by comparison. I presume nobody thinks there is any reason to make room for him at the NHL level.

Brogan Rafferty-Going by some reports, he might be the Canucks defensive prospect who is closest to being ready, but even though he’s 24 years old, he’s a raw rookie who still needs some adjustment to the pro level. Even if the organization feels he’ll come along quickly, he’s only played 3 professional games and certainly isn’t finished developing in Utica. If he develops as people hope I could see a time coming when room should be made for him but even for the most optimistic projections he can still learn for at least part of the season in Utica before there’s any likelihood that he’s knocking down the doors to the NHL. I wouldn’t dream of making room for him at this time, but the Canucks may want to review his progress part way through the season.

Just like it is bad planning to spend much money on bottom line, bottom pair and depth skaters, imo it is just as poor planning to make room for prospects that haven’t finished developing or who are unlikely to develop past the depth defence level. Use them if they’re the best depth you’ve got, slot them in when too many injuries hit, but they are easily replaced and you really don't want them in the lineup on a regular basis.

I don't believe in calling up youngsters for prolonged stays in the pressbox. For prolonged stays in the pressbox, you want a guy like ... Alex Biega. Cheap, dependable, accepting of his role and not good enough that another team will snap him up for it's roster unless the regulars are hurt.

Disclosure: I'm not normally a Comets watcher, so my opinions about the players come, almost entirely, from reading reports about them. Note I'm not in any way projecting what they can be in the future, but am making judgments about what they've demonstrated themselves to be at this stage of their development base on reports from other posters.
Well written and thought out.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Great summary. In general it makes sense. I just think there are nuances with different players.

Teves is 24. He'll turn 25 during the season. He has very little pro experience but at that age, if he doesn't show very well, very quickly at the AHL level (worthy of some NHL games) then he will be relegated to AHL D-man/emergency NHL call-up as his ceiling. Essentially that's where Sautner is right now. I really liked his play with the big club but, at his age, it will be hard to view him as a developing prospect.

Rafferty is in much the same position as Teves (a few months younger with very few pro games). The difference is, in those pro games, and at training camp, he has shown potential upside. I believe he needs to be given opportunity at the NHL level much the same as Stecher was a few years ago. Albeit younger at the time, Stecher showed very well at training camp and only had a few games in Utica before being given the opportunity at the NHL level. The rest is history as they say.

Brisboise is younger but has 120ish games in the AHL , at 22 and with that many pro games, if he isn't very close to being ready, he will move out of "prospect" status because his development should be near completion.

That leaves the enigma Juolevi. It's so hard to judge whether he will ever be able to develop into a serious NHL D-man. As I've said before, we need to see him in 40 straight, injury free, AHL games before any reasonable assessment can be made on whether he deserves NHL time this year.

So, IMO, Rafferty, Brisboise, and possibly Teves would likely benefit (for their development) from getting NHL minutes this season. Sautner is the serviceable call-up in a pinch. Juolevi, who knows?

All-in-all, with Biega being 31 years old and in front of all of these guys on the depth chart, it makes sense to me to move on from him. The team absolutely lost depth in moving out Biega. I love the ways he plays. I guess it comes down to whether or not one feels that the depth players will benefit in their development by giving them NHL games this season. IMO this is true for Rafferty. Brisboise needs to show he has that potential. Teves possibly.

One final note. I think one has to be careful judging a D-man at the AHL level based on their offensive production. With a different development path (i.e. if he had been given a chance ahead of guys like Pouliot and Del Zotto) I believe he would have developed better (or at least be view differently by the organization). At 25, with his pro experience, he's now a nice to have in the organization rather than a prospect.

Last edited:

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
2018/19 - 10 Dmen that played more than 10 games and utilized 13 Dmen total throughout the year.
2017/18 - 8 Dmen that played more than 10 games and utilized 10 Dmen total throughout the year.
2016/17 - 9 Dmen that played more than 10 games and utilized 11 Dmen total throughout the year.
2015/16 - 10 Dmen that played more than 10 games and utilized 11 Dmen total throughout the year.
2014/15 - 9 Dmen that played more than 10 games and utilized 10 Dmen total throughout the year.

This is Jimbo's entire tenure. I think it's safe to say that this year Vancouver will probably utilize around 10 Dmen total throughout the season.

After our top 6 we have the following defensemen:

Fantenberg - 88 NHL games played
Juolevi - 0 NHL games played
Chatfield - 0 NHL games played
Teves - 1 NHL game played
Rafferty - 2 NHL games played
Brisebois - 8 NHL games played
Sautner - 22 NHL games played

In a year where our goal is to make the playoffs this is very thin depth. Especially because none of these players have especially shown well in the AHL. We could easily see somebody above having to play spot duty in the top 4 and that doesn't scream playoff team to me. Biega isn't a world beater but I'd rather him and Fantenberg having to play in the top 6/4 then rely on some of these other unknowns who aren't exactly smashing down the door to the NHL.

If everything goes right (no significant injuries to multiple Dmen concurrently) we may be able to sneak into a wild card place but I don't understand how anybody can look at this depth and think we have a good chance at the playoffs.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It still doesn't make any sense to me to use Biega as the blocker of trying these young guys when they signed Fantenberg and Benn this summer. Like if that didn't happen and they chose to give Biega away to make room, it's much easier to reconcile. But they didn't do that. So TWO defensman still need to go down for these guys to even get into the 3rd pairing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree with you on the Biega vs Fantenberg point. But that ship has sailed. They waived Biega not Fantenberg. I’m not entirely on board with the point that none of the others are ready. Rafferty could be better than three of their top six if given the chance. If Brisebois doesn’t make it this year I doubt he’ll be anything but an ahl player. I don’t really like teves and chatfield but apparently they do.
Point being that these guys need a chance to prove they can play. If they can’t they will follow Biega out the door.

Again, cart before the horse.

When guys prove to be top pairing AHL guys, then you make room for them.

You don't trade away all your depth and then cross your fingers and hope that your mid-pairing AHL defenders will somehow miraculously be able to carry substantial NHL action.

Brisebois simply isn't very good. He can't transition the puck and is a decent 2nd pairing AHLer who could suffice as an emergency NHL callup playing extremely sheltered minutes for a couple games. He's not who should be #8 on your depth chart.

They don't 'need a chance'. They need to prove they deserve a chance.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
And we can't sign another d man from the waiver wire if he makes more than the league minimum. Cap hell. Going to be interesting if they want to sign Tryamkin at the end of his season. Something like 4 yrs @ $4,25 might fit in just under the wire.

It would be so nice if Eriksson would just retire.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Again, cart before the horse.

When guys prove to be top pairing AHL guys, then you make room for them.

You don't trade away all your depth and then cross your fingers and hope that your mid-pairing AHL defenders will somehow miraculously be able to carry substantial NHL action.

Brisebois simply isn't very good. He can't transition the puck and is a decent 2nd pairing AHLer who could suffice as an emergency NHL callup playing extremely sheltered minutes for a couple games. He's not who should be #8 on your depth chart.

They don't 'need a chance'. They need to prove they deserve a chance.
I hear what your saying. I just don’t think it’s that simple. Some skill sets translate better at the nhl level - while not the rule but rather the exception, it’s a factor.
I look at Sautner for example. In his call ups he has looked solid. If he had an opportunity to experience the higher level of play at an earlier stage of development, that could have changed his trajectory.

I guess it comes down to whether one believes that a player is who he is and his ceiling is what it is regardless of development experience. I believe the evidence suggests otherwise, even at the AHL level. Neurological pathways are activated based on stress. The ability to activate these pathways reduces with age. It seems by age 25 the neurological pathways the we rely on are pretty much locked in. Until then, increases in stressors (not experienced before or making things harder ) contribute to the neuronal development.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hear what your saying. I just don’t think it’s that simple. Some skill sets translate better at the nhl level - while not the rule but rather the exception, it’s a factor.
I look at Sautner for example. In his call ups he has looked solid. If he had an opportunity to experience the higher level of play at an earlier stage of development, that could have changed his trajectory.

I guess it comes down to whether one believes that a player is who he is and his ceiling is what it is regardless of development experience. I believe the evidence suggests otherwise, even at the AHL level. Neurological pathways are activated based on stress. The ability to activate these pathways reduces with age. It seems by age 25 the neurological pathways the we rely on are pretty much locked in. Until then, increases in stressors (not experienced before or making things harder ) contribute to the neuronal development.

Guys who don't distinguish themselves as mid-level AHLers who then go on to be solid NHL players are incredibly few and far between.

Again - if Rafferty just blows the doors off his first 30 games in the AHL and looks like a guy who is ready to take the next step, I don't have an issue with waiving proven quality older depth. But you don't do one until the other happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad