Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Alex Biega for David Pope

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Because you brought up the wings system. I’ll leave it at that...it took me one post to realize I was arguing against a strawman...call me slow
Cute.

It looked to me like a conversation that flowed from Biega to why the canucks had to make room now and then questioned why Detroit a similar team wasn’t making the same room. Not my fault you can’t follow along.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Fits the mandate of getting rid of any depth players that provide even a shred of entertainment value. All depth players must be overpaid slugs that can't make or receive a pass. Stecher is probably next unless we get an injury and he is playing top 4 or top pair minutes out of necessity.

Reactions: mossey3535

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Its generally reported who the front runners for an NHL GM job are...You're grasping.

If you say "not interested" when you're contacted, you won't be a front runner. You generally make sure people are interested in a job before you start considering them as an option and have the opportunity to decide if they're a front runner or not.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Stevie Y will build Detroit much in the manner of his mentors. He will start by creating a dominant AHL team as Detroit used to do cooking their prospects in the AHL surrounding them with a great group of experienced players to foster their growth. He did the same thing with Syracuse and Tampa Bay. Shanahan, out of the same mold, did the same with Toronto and the Marlies. Carolina has been following a similar pattern in Charlotte. There are different ways of doing it, but I'm a fan of the method these guys are fond of. Oh, by the way those strong experienced guys on their farms are useful fill-ins for injuries along with the kids those other guys have been working with. Benning fails on both ends of this kind of team building.
Yeah. That’s the accepted “model” to be sure.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If you say "not interested" when you're contacted, you won't be a front runner. You generally make sure people are interested in a job before you start considering them as an option and have the opportunity to decide if they're a front runner or not.
Its generally reported who the front runners for an NHL GM job are...You're grasping.

Washington, the team recently being Stanley cup winners, were at one point interested. For f*** sakes, he was even on peoples list for the Oilers LAST YEAR.

You are being intentionally obtuse. Clearly the guy is happy in Vic doing what heaven doin, otherwise you’d here more about him.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Cute.

It looked to me like a conversation that flowed from Biega to why the canucks had to make room now and then questioned why Detroit a similar team wasn’t making the same room. Not my fault you can’t follow along.
As I said. I’m slow...
That, or there no point in continuing the discussion :)

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I guess. But it’s, in part, a psychological issue. With Biega not there, there’s one less player between them and the show. I just think that an aging player who doesn’t slot into the starting line up is a waste of a contract slot.
So another young player sits? That’s where I can’t follow your logic.

Why not park the vet you have no future plans for than Doing what Toronto did with Corrado and sat a young kid who needed games not press box pop corn.

Pope still takes up a contract slot.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So another young player sits? That’s where I can’t follow your logic.

Why not park the vet you have no future plans for than Doing what Toronto did with Corrado and sat a young kid who needed games not press box pop corn.

Pope still takes up a contract slot.
It comes down to whether that vet fits into the mix going forward. I have no explanation for Gaudette sitting for Schaller, for example.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I guess. But it’s, in part, a psychological issue. With Biega not there, there’s one less player between them and the show. I just think that an aging player who doesn’t slot into the starting line up is a waste of a contract slot.

Wouldn’t it make more sense if you were actually concerned with developing these guys to keep Biega in the NHL as a #8 (and rid yourself of actual wastes of space like Schaller and Eriksson etc) and let the young guys get 40-50 games in the AHL to build there games? Then as you near the deadline look to move Biega to make that room. That ignores that there may indeed be significant value with Biega on the farm as well.

No matter which way I look at this it just doesn’t seem like the best use of the assets. Now I fully understand Biega wants games but if you just let the kids develop for half a season or more in the minors he’ll get those games and then you move him.

I’m afraid to me this is just seems to be another instance of Benning only looking at the extreme short term.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If somebody 'wasn't interested' its unlikely they would be named as candidates for the job..Only places i've heard his name as a serious candidate was the Oilers and the Seattle gig..he got neither...We're going on almost 6 years since he was canned, and not a sniff.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Wouldn’t it make more sense if you were actually concerned with developing these guys to keep Biega in the NHL as a #8 (and rid yourself of actual wastes of space like Schaller and Eriksson etc) and let the young guys get 40-50 games in the AHL to build there games? Then as you near the deadline look to move Biega to make that room. That ignores that there may indeed be significant value with Biega on the farm as well.

No matter which way I look at this it just doesn’t seem like the best use of the assets. Now I fully understand Biega wants games but if you just let the kids develop for half a season or more in the minors he’ll get those games and then you move him.

I’m afraid to me this is just seems to be another instance of Benning only looking at the extreme short term.
I’m all for prospects developing in the minors. There is a tipping point where they need to show what they can do at the next level. If a 22 year old isn’t ready to be tested in that regard then they will probably never make it - time to cut bait. If they’re a question mark, time to test whether they can do it. The team has 4 or 5 prospects in this category.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Anyone know how many contracts Det has signed? I suspect a 4th or a 5th would have been fair value for Biega, (though he could have just been claimed when waived). Also, did Det pick up some injuries?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Washington, the team recently being Stanley cup winners, were at one point interested. For **** sakes, he was even on peoples list for the Oilers LAST YEAR.

You are being intentionally obtuse. Clearly the guy is happy in Vic doing what heaven doin, otherwise you’d here more about him.
He got neither..Washington didn't take him...didnt get the Oilers job because of his poor drafting (according to Mark Spector)..didnt get the Seattle gig either, and was never even in consideration (according to Brian Burke)..So,no...He has been unable to get a an NHL GM gig.

Furthermore, you should maybe stop obsessing over other posters, and maybe put a more energy into writing about the Canucks.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
He got neither..Washington didn't take him...didnt get the Oilers job because of his poor drafting (according to Mark Spector)..didnt get the Seattle gig either, and was never even in consideration (according to Brian Burke)..So,no...He has been unable to get a an NHL GM gig.

Furthermore, you should maybe stop obsessing over other posters, and maybe put a more energy into writing about the Canucks.

Or, as he stated in his radio interview “it would have to be a perfect fit”.

Maybe you should stick to trying to tell the truth. I know that’s hard.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m all for prospects developing in the minors. There is a tipping point where they need to show what they can do at the next level. If a 22 year old isn’t ready to be tested in that regard then they will probably never make it - time to cut bait. If they’re a question mark, time to test whether they can do it. The team has 4 or 5 prospects in this category.

I agree they have several in that category. And they weren’t able to handle the pre-season so they aren’t likely to handle the regular season right now. Maybe further down the line this year they can. So again I see no reason why a move was made at this time.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Or, as he stated in his radio interview “it would have to be a perfect fit”.

Maybe you should stick to trying to tell the truth. I know that’s hard.
What else is he going to say.?....The truth is..nobody is offering him an NHL GM job, let alone a 'perfect fit'..

and the truth is...Benning has a GM job, and Gillis doesn't..there is no BS there.

Reactions: Numba9 and Zippgunn

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well at least I can buy your story that the Oilers have the type of ownership to pick someone like Benning over Gillis

The Oilers "passing on Gillis because of his poor drafting" really highlights how ridiculous such a line of "thought" is.

Well if the Oilers pass on you, that must mean you suck. Those Oilers know what they're doing.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Here we go again. "why couldnt we get a pick for this guy!?!??! its not like no one wanted him for free less than 10 days ago"

Benning has given us more than enough to complain about. His value on this trade isn't one of them.

Comment on the stupidity of trading a way a cheap, NHL fill in calibre depth player that had already cleared waivers.

One of those situations where they are doing whats right by the player not whats right by the team.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Washington, the team recently being Stanley cup winners, were at one point interested. For **** sakes, he was even on peoples list for the Oilers LAST YEAR.

Do you actually have any sources for these fantasies? I can't believe he would turn down jobs like that.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If somebody 'wasn't interested' its unlikely they would be named as candidates for the job..Only places i've heard his name as a serious candidate was the Oilers and the Seattle gig..he got neither...We're going on almost 6 years since he was canned, and not a sniff.

This further illustrates the point I made in another thread that working for the Canucks can be career suicide. I predict he will never work in the NHL as a GM ever again...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad