Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire F Jason Dickinson for 2021 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
WTF is Francis coming up in the Dickinson thread??

I don't mind Dickinson starting at 3C to see what he has, but still feel 1 more top 9 player would really make this a strong top 12.

A 4th line of Dickinson-Sutter-Motte that gets the lion share of the DZ starts would be pretty solid. 2 FO guys who can stay to their strong side, good effort guys, and a bit of counterstrike offensive potential.

Would see more minutes than your typical 4th line as they'd get the defensive minutes, but if they could saw off those minutes we'd be a very tough team to handle.

Maybe Pedan or one of the other tweeners can be that 12 forward that lines up in the top 9, but doesn't see a ton of ice time allowing EP, BH, JTM to get extra shifts with the "3rd" line.
Isn't only Sutter of the two > 50% at the faceoff dot & the other guy in the 40's?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Isn't only Sutter of the two > 50% at the faceoff dot & the other guy in the 40's?

Yes but you'd expect both to be better if they are only taking faceoffs on their strong side. If I emerges as the better option regardless of the side 9f the 8ce, thats fine too. Still have a 2nd C in case someone is thrown out.

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks have developed a roster this off-season that features a lot more flexibility up and down the lineup.

If Dickinson doesn't work out at center, they have the option of moving J.T. Miller to the middle; or moving Sutter up in the lineup.

And I really hope they try out guys like Petan and Podkozlin in the middle during training camp to see what they have. Petan is a guy who I think could generate some offense from the middle of the ice, if he can handle the defensive side of the position.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yes but you'd expect both to be better if they are only taking faceoffs on their strong side. If I emerges as the better option regardless of the side 9f the 8ce, thats fine too. Still have a 2nd C in case someone is thrown out.

How about a line of Miller, Horvat, and Sutter. All our best FO guys on the same line (Miller and Horvat interchangeable at C depending on who is better defensively). Handiness works too. :thumbu:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
With Dickinson just looking at the 3C faceoff question would that really be much of an issue? Over the last few years with how you always see talk about sending prospect x to Horvat's skating coach or sending goalie y to work/improve with Ian Clark, we don't have Malholtra anymore but I feel like faceoffs are something tangible you can work and improve on. I don't know how much of a factor it is purely between age vs NHL experience but usually a players first 3 or so seasons are closer to 40% but as they gain experience they move closer to 50%.

Pettersson for example his progression is: 41.0, 41.8, 45. Henrik Sedin went: 44.1, 47.4, 48.2, 50. Jason Dickinson is coming in a bit older, but going by NHL experience he only has 3 years under his belt and his progression is: 42.9, 43.9, 46.3. Now he's not likely to ever be great at the faceoffs like Malholtra or Beagle but I'd think if the Canucks/player commits to it he should be able to achieve around 50% this season.

Personally I feel like we may start the season with Pettersson/Horvat/Miller at C and Dickinson on the wing, but the moment there's an injury to a scorer Green will need to fall back to a 2 scoring lines and Dickinson as the #3C checking line.

Reactions: Skriko

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Assuming this is sarcasm?

Well partly. I think both Crow and AV had a habit of throwing two of his best faceoff and defensive Cs out there for defensive zone draws. Trotz threw Beagle out there just for draws.

Green obviously trusts Horvat and Sutter and who is next on the list besides Motte? Miller? Coincidentally, Horvat, Sutter, and Miller took the most defensive zone draws on the team last season (although I'm sure that's in part because Beagle played less games).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
With Dickinson just looking at the 3C faceoff question would that really be much of an issue? Over the last few years with how you always see talk about sending prospect x to Horvat's skating coach or sending goalie y to work/improve with Ian Clark, we don't have Malholtra anymore but I feel like faceoffs are something tangible you can work and improve on. I don't know how much of a factor it is purely between age vs NHL experience but usually a players first 3 or so seasons are closer to 40% but as they gain experience they move closer to 50%.

Pettersson for example his progression is: 41.0, 41.8, 45. Henrik Sedin went: 44.1, 47.4, 48.2, 50. Jason Dickinson is coming in a bit older, but going by NHL experience he only has 3 years under his belt and his progression is: 42.9, 43.9, 46.3. Now he's not likely to ever be great at the faceoffs like Malholtra or Beagle but I'd think if the Canucks/player commits to it he should be able to achieve around 50% this season.

Personally I feel like we may start the season with Pettersson/Horvat/Miller at C and Dickinson on the wing, but the moment there's an injury to a scorer Green will need to fall back to a 2 scoring lines and Dickinson as the #3C checking line.

i mean they basically just gave up on Pettersson taking face offs

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Well partly. I think both Crow and AV had a habit of throwing two of his best faceoff and defensive Cs out there for defensive zone draws. Trotz threw Beagle out there just for draws.

Green obviously trusts Horvat and Sutter and who is next on the list besides Motte? Miller? Coincidentally, Horvat, Sutter, and Miller took the most defensive zone draws on the team last season (although I'm sure that's in part because Beagle played less games).

I'm hoping Green implements a strategy that allows JT and Bo to focus less on defense. 3 minutes left ina 1 goal game, if Bo or JT have the hot hand that game, absolutely.

But in the first two periods, hoping Dickinson and Sutter will play well enough to be trusted to take the draw, get the puck into the other end, then get off the ice.

He did have a wrist injury last year, but also the year prior, yeah, Miller took them.

Not unusual for a rookie or young player to struggle with faceoffs. Especially one as slight as EP is. Wouldn't think he spent a ton of time working on it this offseason considering his wrist issues. One of the reasons I like JT with EP so much.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
"Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Jason Dickinson to a three-year contract worth an average annual value of $2.65 million. "

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
"Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Jason Dickinson to a three-year contract worth an average annual value of $2.65 million. "

Underpaid, bottom-six player, should have been at least $5Mx5

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Not great not terrible
Expected as someone who’s close to arbitration
No trade protection is huge
Easily tradable when a new GM is in charge if the team ain’t good

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
pretty much right where i was expecting him to come in around 2.5-2.75

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Around 14 million with Ferland LTIRetired

About 12.2m + Ferland's 3.5m.

Roughly 15-16m when including Ferland’s LTIR I think?
I don’t think they want long term so the cap hit won’t be high
I just calculated it, and if we send down Bailey and Hunt (the guys I expect to be sent down), we have $14,864,341.

I would sign EP long term for 10m over 6-7 years, and give the rest (~4.86) to Hughes on a 1 year bridge deal.

EDIT: Also, if we trade Motte for a draft pick, and replace him with a player making league minimum, we would have about 500k more. Trading Motte and signing Dominik Kahun who is pretty close to equal at the league minimum might make some sense…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad