Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire F Jason Dickinson for 2021 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Where did you read that they're targeting him for the wing?

There was an interview iMac did with Travis Green and he posted a mock lineup with Dickinson at wing. I think MS is also basing it off of how Green puts a premium on faceoff stats and Dickinson isn't strong there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Sutter starts the season as the team's 3rd line C. That's how Green rolls.

Reactions: canucksfan

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
IMac's recent report after an interview with Green. Apparently they like the idea of Miller at C with essentially Horvat with the #3C, and the proposed lines IMac listed reflected this with Dickinson on the wing.
That is brilliant. Love it.
Three scoring lines. No more getting hemmed in our own zone 40 minutes a night.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Very few players end up actually going to arbitration out of those that file and I'd still expect it's more than likely that Dickinson signs before that happens.

For sure. I just hope that the team is putting him to the grindstone now that there are so many comparables on the market for players who produce better and put up similar defensive results for well under what everyone was thinking he should make (2.5MM+).

Would happily go to arbitration and present the arbitrator with contract comps. Speaking of this it's still funny to me how terrified of arbitration they were with Stetcher/Hutton.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Would happily go to arbitration and present the arbitrator with contract comps. Speaking of this it's still funny to me how terrified of arbitration they were with Stetcher/Hutton.

Has there been a player who went to arbitration and got his salary decreased from the previous season? What about a player who settled before for a lower salary than the previous season?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Has there been a player who went to arbitration and got his salary decreased from the previous season? What about a player who settled before for a lower salary than the previous season?

Was just browsing through the ones where the arbitrator ruled, and in general there are raises, some modest, some large, but the raises were for players whose counting stats broke out. Blake Wheeler was awarded 2.2MM (down from 2.75MM) back in 2010 after regressing about 25% production wise.

The ones that were settled beforehand seems like it is rare, but again, these players mostly show improvement relative to their previous contract? Dickinson settled in 2019 for 2 x 1.5MM after putting up a better PPG than he did last season. Now now to say that points aren't everything, but in arbitration they seem to get a pretty heavy weighing.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Was just browsing through the ones where the arbitrator ruled, and in general there are raises, some modest, some large, but the raises were for players whose counting stats broke out. Blake Wheeler was awarded 2.2MM (down from 2.75MM) back in 2010 after regressing about 25% production wise.

The ones that were settled beforehand seems like it is rare, but again, these players mostly show improvement relative to their previous contract? Dickinson settled in 2019 for 2 x 1.5MM after putting up a better PPG than he did last season. Now now to say that points aren't everything, but in arbitration they seem to get a pretty heavy weighing.

Arbitration is basically RNG as far as I understand, which is part of the reason neither the team nor the player really want to do it. I don't believe that Jim Benning has ever had a negotiation go to arbitration and I don't think he will.

Reactions: timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Arbitration is basically RNG as far as I understand, which is part of the reason neither the team nor the player really want to do it. I don't believe that Jim Benning has ever had a negotiation go to arbitration and I don't think he will.

It's also a lot of work, and we know how Jim Benning feels about that.

Reactions: gameface and Hyzer

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Huh? Blake Wheeler went from $875K to $2.2M arbitration award.

Edit: I see that you were looking at his AAV with max performance bonuses.

Well Dickinson earned $1.6M last season so like you I'm not worried about his arbitration award. A significant raise lands him at low $2M? I was referring to your comment about the Canucks being worried about Stecher and Hutton's arbitration award. Hutton, for example, was at $2.8M so if there's not much of a possibility for a decrease you're looking at $3M+ for sure.[/QUOTE]

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It's also a lot of work, and we know how Jim Benning feels about that.
Like most people, he probably doesn’t like to work. He certainly works harder than your boy Francis though. Now that guy is the laughing stock of the league

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
After watching and reading up on Dickinson, I don't expect him to be able to handle being the 3C role right out of the gate. Hopefully he's a quick learner and Green can find him a good balance of wingers. Like others have said, Sutter probably gets the 3C role until Green can trust him.

At the very least we should have an actual training camp for him to work out the kinks, compared to what the new guys last year got.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
After watching and reading up on Dickinson, I don't expect him to be able to handle being the 3C role right out of the gate. Hopefully he's a quick learner and Green can find him a good balance of wingers. Like others have said, Sutter probably gets the 3C role until Green can trust him.

At the very least we should have an actual training camp for him to work out the kinks, compared to what the new guys last year got.
Unfortunately this isn't 2018. Horvat will again be tasked with the **** work.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
WTF is Francis coming up in the Dickinson thread??

I don't mind Dickinson starting at 3C to see what he has, but still feel 1 more top 9 player would really make this a strong top 12.

A 4th line of Dickinson-Sutter-Motte that gets the lion share of the DZ starts would be pretty solid. 2 FO guys who can stay to their strong side, good effort guys, and a bit of counterstrike offensive potential.

Would see more minutes than your typical 4th line as they'd get the defensive minutes, but if they could saw off those minutes we'd be a very tough team to handle.

Maybe Pedan or one of the other tweeners can be that 12 forward that lines up in the top 9, but doesn't see a ton of ice time allowing EP, BH, JTM to get extra shifts with the "3rd" line.

Reactions: J Corso

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

He's 26 years old and played 3 full seasons in the NHL. He also handled some(?) 4C duties in Dallas' Cup run two seasons ago.

If he's not able to handle the 3C role now he will likely never be.

Reactions: m9

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
He's 26 years old and played 3 full seasons in the NHL. He also handled some(?) 4C duties in Dallas' Cup run two seasons ago.

If he's not able to handle the 3C role now he will likely never be.

For me, I'm ready to give him some leeway to start. Sometimes it takes time to get your feet running for a more high pressure job with more responsibility. The role he's jumping into on the Canucks is definitely both those things compared to what he was doing in Dallas. The position and defensive assignments will all be bigger, and his supporting cast will also be worse (ie. The Canucks team defense and strategies are definitely inferior to what he had in Dallas).

Also, 26 years old is definitely an age where NHL players can hit their ceiling but defensive play is one of those things that a decent amount of players get better at year to year, and that's what he seems to be brought in to provide.

I'll call a spade a spade when the time comes, but I'm just personally going to hold off 'full' judgement for the first dozen games.

Reactions: alternate

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For me, I'm ready to give him some leeway to start. Sometimes it takes time to get your feet running for a more high pressure job with more responsibility. The role he's jumping into on the Canucks is definitely both those things compared to what he was doing in Dallas. The position and defensive assignments will all be bigger, and his supporting cast will also be worse (ie. The Canucks team defense and strategies are definitely inferior to what he had in Dallas).

Also, 26 years old is definitely an age where NHL players can hit their ceiling but defensive play is one of those things that a decent amount of players get better at year to year, and that's what he seems to be brought in to provide.

I'll call a spade a spade when the time comes, but I'm just personally going to hold off 'full' judgement for the first dozen games.

I see what you mean. An adjustment period is fine. I'm just saying that he isn't a prospect. He's entering his 4th full year in the NHL and has logged 15-16+ minutes a game the past two seasons. He's in his prime and close to a finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad