Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire C Derek Roy for D Kevin Connauton, 2nd Round Draft Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Roy doesn't fit the mold. Likes money and nightlife a bit too much. He's a rental. Hopefully the contract year is motivational enough for the next few months.

I follow BUF a little bit and have heard this before. But I hope he's not a rental. Even if it costs the team a more "on board" player. They invested in him, and Gillis has said he won't deal picks for pure rentals.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
And I'm still unsure why Clowe in addition to Roy would make it unlikely, and not just Roy himself, which you have admitted would be all it would take. The statement about Clowe specifically makes little sense if he is not also expected to be retained. If he's not retained, how does his inclusion tip the scales even more into making a Booth return unlikely?

Because 2 top 6 additions to choose from makes re-signing 1 of them much more likely than if there was just 1 top 6 forward brought in. It's a numbers game.

If there was a 3rd UFA top 6 forward brought in it would make Booth's return even that much more unlikely. And so on...

KISSland

Jan 30, 2012
Just found out right now. -_-

How's Roy been this season?

Sounds like a fair deal yes?

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
At least Kes knew better and didn't tweet a photo of his new Ferrari during the lockout.

Anything can happen, but right now I simply don't see Roy being here long term.

So tweeting a picture of his car is frowned upon here at the Canucks org? I guess a guy like Kane has no place here either.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Because 2 top 6 additions to choose from makes re-signing 1 of them much more likely than if there was just 1 top 6 forward brought in. It's a numbers game.

If there was a 3rd UFA top 6 forward brought in it would make Booth's return even that much more unlikely. And so on...

But if you are assured that Roy will be re-signed, like you have stated, what does bringing in Clowe ++ even matter?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
But if you are assured that Roy will be re-signed, like you have stated, what does bringing in Clowe ++ even matter?

Where did I say Roy is assured to be re-signed? I said Gillis will likely attempt to re-sign him, as he doesn't like pure rental deals. It's still in Roy's hands whether he wants to stay.

The only thing I assured was that Gillis would go after Derek Roy. Not sure why you were so adamant he wouldn't.

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007
I like deals where we get impending UFA's. If things click and there's mutual interest, a deal can be made - like with Higgins & Lapierre. The Canucks have a good thing going (notwithstanding the post-trade comments from Samuelsson)- players get treated very well, the organization does everything it can to win. That's why I don't understand Gillis' seeming preference for getting players with term on their contracts - like Ballard & Booth. Pay guys that choose to be here, not guys who have to be here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Where did I say Roy is assured to be re-signed? I said Gillis will likely attempt to re-sign him, as he doesn't like pure rental deals. It's still in Roy's hands whether he wants to stay.

Hmmm...

I think Gillis gets him locked up for $5mil. Don't view this as a rental situation

:dunno:

The only thing I assured was that Gillis would go after Derek Roy. Not sure why you were so adamant he wouldn't.

My reticence had caveats: Style, Acquisition Cost and Retention Cost. The acquisition cost wasn't a 1st. The retention cost will be learned if/when he gets a new contract (considering he was asking for 6m), and the style issue will be evident if/when it costs them Booth.

Again though, I've posted a Raymond for Roy swap one here prior to the trade. I'm not sure how that conveys a dead set against view on him? My view on him depends on a few factors, which is why it remains mixed.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
I really like this deal.

Connauton wasn't going to make this team for at least a few years (if ever), and the way we draft, chances are our 2nd round pick wouldn't turn into much anyways.

Roy is a playmaking center and should help our anemic powerplay. He fills a need and if he works out for the next few months we have first dibs at signing him long-term. If he doesn't fit, then we accept the fact he was a rental and move on.

The one thing I find a little funny is that Roy is essentially Hodgson. Small 2nd/3rd line center who will run the 2nd unit powerplay. He's obviously a little more experienced, and a bit (and I mean only a bit) better defensively, but Gillis filled the hole we've been missing since we made that deal a season ago.

Too bad we didn't have that player during the playoffs last year...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Higgins Roy Kesler
Raymond Schroeder Hansen

I'd be comfortable with this, seeing as that third line has built in chemistry with each other.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Roy doesn't fit the mold. Likes money and nightlife a bit too much. He's a rental. Hopefully the contract year is motivational enough for the next few months.

50/50 for me. I know Gillis doesn't like rentals but I think he could make a good fit.

Say what you want about AV but he usually gets his players in line (exception being SOB). If he plays like he should, I couldn't really give two ***** about partying and such. The only thing it comes down to is money.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Guys, just scored a beauty goal with Roy in NHL13

safe to say that this trade has been a success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad