Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DAL] Canucks acquire C Derek Roy for D Kevin Connauton, 2nd Round Draft Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sorry folks, I refuse to believe they acquired center depth just so they could eliminate that depth by moving a Selke winner to the wing. There is plenty of icetime to go around for 3 good scoring centers...especially when two of those centers play on the same PP unit and they don't like playing Henrik for more than 17-18 minutes.

Not saying it doesn't give them options to mix and match but I believe they want to go with 3 lines that can score with the provision that the third line guy doesn't need to be protected. Roy doesn't need to be from anything I remember....that is the biggest difference between right now and last year with Hodgson. They were worried about Hodgson getting eaten alive (for good reason...he was). I don't think it is any complicated philosophy. The philosophy has been consistent....if you can play offense but not defense you are hard pressed to get ice time. If you can play defense you have a chance to stick around. If you can do both AV will give you the ice time. It's a team built with capable two-way players. That is the philosophy. It's not a hard and fast rule that the first two lines score, third line check and 4th grind. Heck it is usually the second line used for the checking anyways.

Good post. Kesler's line used to handle the primary checking duties in 2009-10, and he still put up 75 points that year. We essentially have two 1st-line calibre centers and one who's 2nd-line calibre (at the very least) now that we have Roy. No reason not to take advantage of that depth. Add Lapierre in there and you're looking at 4 lines that can just roll.

I for one just hope they don't go with the zone specialization all over again. It worked when Malhotra was here but other teams have caught onto it I think. Have everyone take responsibility in playing defence - even the Sedins.

Though for the most part I believe AV has been matching top line vs. top line - with good results to boot!

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I'll tell you one thing that I'm really excited about after watching some Roy highlights on youtube: He's got more than one move in the shootout.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Also: we got the best player on the ice in possibly the most exciting playoff game played between two eastern teams in the last 30 years. That alone is reason to like the addition of Roy on the Canucks roster, if you ask me. This is a guy who knows how to step it up into god mode in the playoffs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thats actually an interesting idea i did not think of for some reason, what a great 2nd line that makes.

Excellent coaching.

my team stomped Edmonton 3-0, with Daniel, Roy, and Edler scoring. Little better than our last outing with the Oilers

:sarcasm:

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
FxBFV.png

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Also: we got the best player on the ice in possibly the most exciting playoff game played between two eastern teams in the last 30 years. That alone is reason to like the addition of Roy on the Canucks roster, if you ask me. This is a guy who knows how to step it up into god mode in the playoffs.

Coming out of junior Roy was considered a winner and a playoff guy. Had a great Memorial Cup. There's no doubt he can find another gear for the playoffs.

Alflives*

Moved Kassian up with the twins and went Burrows/Roy/Kesler

The Twins are good, but they won't be helping Kassian while he's in Chicago. Plus, there is too much evidence - now - showing Kassian is a party hound, and might lack the internal drive to do what it takes off the ice to compete at the highest level.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
From the interview I think he play with Higgins and hansen.......
and then he says.....the fans are great.........no not even close he didnt' see the riot!?
Looks like he just going to focus on the game and no contract talk that fast
I think he will provide some new leadership to the core.....maybe it help the room seem like we could use

ZenMaster*

Very excited to see him perform, he's a clutch player that is comfortable of being a leading scorer.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
and then he says.....the fans are great.........no not even close he didnt' see the riot!?
I think he will provide some new leadership to the core.....maybe it help the room seem like we could use

Or these forums :laugh:

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010

Come one man really? :laugh:

TheDiver*

Coming out of junior Roy was considered a winner and a playoff guy. Had a great Memorial Cup. There's no doubt he can find another gear for the playoffs.

Derek Roy's career playoff numbers are tepid:

41 GP
7 G (5 of those 7 goals were in 2005–06.)
18 A
25 PTS

Compare that to a comparable player, like Mike Cammalleri:
32 GP
17 G
15 A
32 PTS

You combine Roy's numbers with Raymond's playoff numbers:
51 GP
7 G
9 A
16 PTS

It ain't exactly a potent 2nd line.

I still like the acquisition though. The Canucks needed a centre and got a decent one. Remember, he got a Team Canada tryout in 2010.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Derek Roy's career playoff numbers are tepid:

41 GP
7 G (5 of those 7 goals were in 2005–06.)
18 A
25 PTS

Compare that to a comparable player, like Mike Cammalleri:
32 GP
17 G
15 A
32 PTS

You combine Roy's numbers with Raymond's playoff numbers:
51 GP
7 G
9 A
16 PTS

It ain't exactly a potent 2nd line.

I still like the acquisition though. The Canucks needed a centre and got a decent one. Remember, he got a Team Canada tryout in 2010.
His stats might not be great in the past few years but if you stick him between Hansen and Higgins it could be money. The only way it's a second wave is if Kesler is driving play by himself again though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad