Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CGY] F Sven Baertschi to Vancouver for 2015 2nd round pick - Part II

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
"Ambivalence" is a high level vocab? Oh man HFBoards, please tell me you haven't gone that far downhill. I wouldn't have even blinked at its use, even on a hockey forum, until half a page got dedicated to its use. Definitely interesting to see what other people consider arcane language ...

A quote that also applies on here:

"He puts the most words into the smallest idea."

arsmaster*

"Ambivalence" is a high level vocab? Oh man HFBoards, please tell me you haven't gone that far downhill. I wouldn't have even blinked at its use, even on a hockey forum, until half a page got dedicated to its use. Definitely interesting to see what other people consider arcane language ...

I prefer the french "comme ci comme ca" in place of ambivalent.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I prefer the french "comme ci comme ca" in place of ambivalent.

I'm not even sure I know of a word that means the same thing as ambivalent that doesn't sound more pretentious. Neutral maybe? I dunno, I'm not ripping people that might have a simpler vocab, but I don't think there was anything haughty or pretentious about choosing that word. People are funny around here. Just read TPM and Verv argue for half a page about exactly how impressive Horvat's bf% is. How can you tell we are between game days?

arsmaster*

I'm not even sure I know of a word that means the same thing as ambivalent that doesn't sound more pretentious. Neutral maybe? I dunno, I'm not ripping people that might have a simpler vocab, but I don't think there was anything haughty or pretentious about choosing that word. People are funny around here. Just read TPM and Verv argue for half a page about exactly how impressive Horvat's bf% is. How can you tell we are between game days?

I'll admit, I google a lot of the vocabulary people use on here, since I believe I'm pretty limited in terms of vocabulary.

I tend to type how I speak, not the greatest for technical writing or professional emails, but perfect for the interweb.

arsmaster*

If you guys are going to continue the vocab discussion, please move it to the OT thread.

You should just merge this with the Sven player thread anyways, I don't see much of a reason for two threads for the exact same discussion.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
Well Sven, I can't think of any better motivation to succeed in Vancouver than the comparisons on NHL TV of Vancouver Canuck management to the management of the Oakland Raiders after acquiring ya at the deadline!

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Draw Calgary in the first round. Call up Sven because of injuries. He ends up scoring the series clinching goal GG

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Who was the last Canuck prospect that was as good offensively as Baertschi at the AHL level?

Still think this kid has another level from what he's shown this season and finishes the year in Vancouver.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Draw Calgary in the first round. Call up Sven because of injuries. He ends up scoring the series clinching goal GG

Earlier today I was thinking about the playoffs and I heard Jim Hughson's voice in my head yelling his name. This has to be a sign. :nod:

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
He asked "when was the last time", the correct answer is Kassian :p:

Answering a "when" question with a name isn't exactly correct ;)

Topic: Glad he's doing fine, would be fun for him if he ends on the Canucks roster somehow, but it's not necessary. He will get his chance at training camp.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I think Baertschi's place in the organization, this year, is to help Utica until they are done. Go as deep as they can - and I think he will spearhead them.

Next year's training camp, this is where the talk of Baerts making the roster starts.

arsmaster*

Kassian wasn't a PPG player for our affiliate so you guys listing him are wrong as well. Raymond is the last who performed close to that level, but graduated the AHL in his 2nd year there after 20 games.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Kassian wasn't a PPG player for our affiliate so you guys listing him are wrong as well. Raymond is the last who performed close to that level, but graduated the AHL in his 2nd year there after 20 games.

Kassian was considered the most dominant player in the AHL when he was playing for the Wolves.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Kassian was considered the most dominant player in the AHL when he was playing for the Wolves.

Lmao no he wasn't. This was the same year as the NHL lockout, and you had the Barons destroying teams with Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Schultz. Hell, there was serious handwringing over Hodgson having more AHL points than Kassian.

I was pretty distressed about Kassian's production relatove to his peers. I vividly remember the envy I felt towards the flames when Kassian was outplayed by Baertschi in a game in Abbotsford. I actually intensely hoped Sven would bust at the time (now I'm praying he becomes a superstar).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad