Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CGY] F Sven Baertschi to Vancouver for 2015 2nd round pick - Part II

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'm going homerun and saying Baertschi - McCann - Kenins will be the new Sedin line.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It's the size, the package of the PWF that will grant him better opportunities and allow him to provide value besides scoring.

but.. does that happen? like hes big ok, but what is that if its not converted into defensive or offensive value? entertainment value?

i dont mean to single you out here, but i feel "he's big" as a quality to fall back on isn't really relevant unless you're already really good at hockey, like when joe finally slows down he'll still be able to pure powergame 30 assists a season

kassian isn't even that big. he's 6'3. we have two guys bigger than him and neither of them get the same credit

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just for fun, I think Baertschi-Horvat could be a potentially great pairing in a couple years time. Bo having the skating and IQ to mesh nicely with Baertschi but also able to control the puck on the boards and around the net and Baertschi playing the playmaker/distributor role off the wing. Way to early to expect such things but if we're just spitballing future pairs, I think that is one that could work really well.

arsmaster*

Absolutely nothing wrong with comparing the production of 2 13th overall picks. These guys will be competing for quality offensive minutes and it will be interesting to see how they stack up against one another going forward.

This is the part that is most interesting to me.

I think we'll see Baertschi getting treated like Vey (which is exactly how I'd have liked to see Kassian treated) where he'll get put in every possible situation to succeed.

I don't think he'll have to adapt his game much to something he isn't, which sadly I don't think Kass has had the same benefit.

These guys shouldn't be competing for offensive minutes, they should be teaming together in offensive minutes, but one will be expected to do more than produce, while the other will be just fine....if he produces.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
but.. does that happen? like hes big ok, but what is that if its not converted into defensive or offensive value? entertainment value?

i dont mean to single you out here, but i feel "he's big" as a quality to fall back on isn't really relevant unless you're already really good at hockey, like when joe finally slows down he'll still be able to pure powergame 30 assists a season

kassian isn't even that big. he's 6'3. we have maybe four guys on the team bigger than he is right now

GMs value the size and skill package that Kassian has and that gives him more value than his production indicates. I don't believe it's just size that gives Kassian value, it's the combination of the skill with the size. The tools.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I see Matthias as the only forward bigger than him and Edler the only D guy (which isn't really relevant).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
GMs value the size and skill package that Kassian has and that gives him more value than his production indicates. I don't believe it's just size that gives Kassian value, it's the combination of the skill with the size. The tools.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I see Matthias as the only forward bigger than him and Edler the only D guy (which isn't really relevant).

they're both skaters but yeah i corrected it to two

i know that gms value it, but gms also valued david clarkson and dave bolland

i mean, he has production, and he has production against. thats it. calories in, calories out. what can he do with the size that isn't one or the other? make really funny gifs?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
they're both skaters but yeah i corrected it to two

i know that gms value it, but gms also valued david clarkson and dave bolland

i mean, he has production, and he has production against. thats it. calories in, calories out. what can he do with the size that isn't one or the other? make really funny gifs?

I do agree that *today* Kassian doesn't use his size to any extent where it can really be said to be a major advantage. However, it does factor into the *potential* of the player and why his value might be perceived to be higher than simply his production for/against. But as he gets older/plays more games, I think the value of that potential diminishes, as it becomes perceived as less and less likely that he will change his game to one where he truly uses his size to it's full extent. Either Kassian will make that change (and soon) or his value will finally align with his production in/out and the premium that is attached to him for his size will largely disappear.

arsmaster*

I do agree that *today* Kassian doesn't use his size to any extent where it can really be said to be a major advantage. However, it does factor into the *potential* of the player and why his value might be perceived to be higher than simply his production for/against. But as he gets older/plays more games, I think the value of that potential diminishes, as it becomes perceived as less and less likely that he will change his game to one where he truly uses his size to it's full extent. Either Kassian will make that change (and soon) or his value will finally align with his production in/out and the premium that is attached to him for his size will largely disappear.

Kassian will always carry value because of his size. That's his fall back. Same with Virtanen.

There is no fall back on Baertschi, if he's not producing, his fall back is...welll....back to europe.

arsmaster*

burrows is a career right winger, though.

i don't think it's bad a line, I just don't think it practically works out that way.

Burrows was LW until he got promoted to the Sedin line, wasn't he? That's what I recall.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
three lefties on one line. gotcha.

Daniel Sedin (leftie), Henrik Sedin (leftie), Alexander Burrows (leftie)

Markus Naslund (leftie), Brendan Morrison (leftie), Todd Bertuzzi (leftie)

Errr, what's the problem with three lefties on one line again?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Daniel Sedin (leftie), Henrik Sedin (leftie), Alexander Burrows (leftie)

Markus Naslund (leftie), Brendan Morrison (leftie), Todd Bertuzzi (leftie)

Errr, what's the problem with three lefties on one line again?

That Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr and Ron Francis line was "not bad" too I guess. :sarcasm:

EDIT: That's hilarious, I completely forgot Mario shot right. Leaving it in for comedy.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i think it's funny like six of you guys felt the need to individually jump on me

i wasn't crapping on the line, i just think practically it works out with the left wingers end up playing left wing and some other natural right winger plays right wing.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
three lefties on one line. gotcha.

It does cut against the norm, but Utica has a total of three righties and two are D-Men. Three LH shots are playing their off wing. If Grenier is out of the lineup, it's all four.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Please post gif.

BaertschiStrong-Arm.gif

He's not huge, but he's not small and soft either. 190lbs and good balance so he doesn't get knocked around easily like Vey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad