Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CGY] F Sven Baertschi to Vancouver for 2015 2nd round pick - Part II

arsmaster*

Kassian was considered the most dominant player in the AHL when he was playing for the Wolves.

I think you are wrong, but it's not that important. Either way the question was about PPG pace, and Kassian had 21 in 29 (0.72ppg). Raymond 17 in 20 (0.85ppg).

Sven looks more dynamic than both did IMO so far in his short career with the comets. He did a lot more impressive things with the puck last night other than his assist (which occurred on a saveable shot).

I like seeing him around the net. He needs to make sure he continues to play in those high traffic areas, and I hope DTS is right, that he gets a look up here this season. Could be a real shot in the arm for this club down the stretch.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think you are wrong, but it's not that important. Either way the question was about PPG pace, and Kassian had 21 in 29 (0.72ppg). Raymond 17 in 20 (0.85ppg).

Sven looks more dynamic than both did IMO so far in his short career with the comets. He did a lot more impressive things with the puck last night other than his assist (which occurred on a saveable shot).

I like seeing him around the net. He needs to make sure he continues to play in those high traffic areas, and I hope DTS is right, that he gets a look up here this season. Could be a real shot in the arm for this club down the stretch.

His start is definitely a positive. The 'star' ship has probably sailed on him, but if he could become a Martin Erat-type 2nd line player here that would obviously be a major win.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
His start is definitely a positive. The 'star' ship has probably sailed on him, but if he could become a Martin Erat-type 2nd line player here that would obviously be a major win.

Absolutely. Unless of course that 2nd turns into the next Filip Forsberg (thought i'd get that in before anyone else). Thought it was a decent gamble from the start and his play in Utica has confirmed that, but obviously still a ways to go. Just happy he is showing well early on.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Good to see him showing well, lotsof skill. And Green continues to impress.

If Sven can develop into top6 for canucks. T.Green deserves some credit.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Kassian wasn't a PPG player for our affiliate so you guys listing him are wrong as well. Raymond is the last who performed close to that level, but graduated the AHL in his 2nd year there after 20 games.

I remember a lot of people - myself included - who lamented the fact his PPG went down from what he'd put up with Buffalo's affiliate and complained how our farm team was just so low-scoring. Good times.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I remember a lot of people - myself included - who lamented the fact his PPG went down from what he'd put up with Buffalo's affiliate and complained how our farm team was just so low-scoring. Good times.

A lot of the hand-wringing was because Hodgson was out producing him while playing for the Amerks. Nobody perceived Kassian as 'dominating the AHL' like Nuck This claims.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Was just looking at his season numbers... Here's how his season has gone so far...

AHL :
Scoreless in the 1st 7 gms.
3pts in the next 3 gms
Called up.
14 gms with the Flames. 3pts in 2 of them, scoreless and -5 in the other 12.
Sent down.
14 pts in 14 gm run.
Scoreless in his next 4.
Called up.
Plays one with the Flames (1pt)
Sent down.
8 pts in his next 8 gms.
Traded.
5pts in 4gms with Utica.

After his mopey start he's been close to a PPG player anyway...
presently on a 6 gm pt streak (8pts)...

Anyways... Just thought I'd lay out his season for those that found it interesting like i did.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
A lot of the hand-wringing was because Hodgson was out producing him while playing for the Amerks. Nobody perceived Kassian as 'dominating the AHL' like Nuck This claims.

He was an AHL all-star. There were quotes from other coaches saying he was the most dominant player in the league and he definitely passed the eye test. Not only was he physically dominat, his skill set was on full display while he had much more room to work with in the AHL. That's part of the reason why the canucks traded for him. Also, Gillis and Gilman both said the same thing.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He was an AHL all-star. There were quotes from other coaches saying he was the most dominant player in the league and he definitely passed the eye test. Not only was he physically dominat, his skill set was on full display while he had much more room to work with in the AHL. That's part of the reason why the canucks traded for him. Also, Gillis and Gilman both said the same thing.

The context of Gillis and Gilman's comments were of a managerial team interested in promoting their acquisition & also have a vested interest in shielding his development from scrutiny. Not exactly unbiased.

Objectively we can compare Kassian's performance relative to his peers during the lockout and quickly determine that no, he was not the most dominant forward in the AHL (your words). Like it doesn't matter what anyone said, you can look at a bunch of different guys and determine there were MANY much better AHL perfromances. He performed fairly, but induced mostly mixed reactions from onlookers. He was also not an all-star.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he was probably dominant in the way that people think evander kane is dominant. hes doing things and he's taller than some people

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, he was good but wasn't quite producing the way you normally would expect of someone who's dominating (lowered PPG, lowered shot rate). The Hodgson comparison was always silly - he was a year older. You'd expect someone to produce more for his age.

I think mainly we just wanted to see Schroeder with ZK too - that was one big gripe people had with Arniel at the time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of strange, but in reading the Flames board after the trade, some posters claimed the guy was a defensive liability....but haven't seen any evidence of that in Utica so far.....maybe that's because he has the puck so much.:nod:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
The new West Coast Express

IF Baertschi lives up to his potential and hype, does anyone else see a potential line of Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian being similar to the old WCE line of Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi? Kassian being your big enigmatic gritty Power Forward winger, Horvat being your excellent two-way center that can also contribute offensively, and Baertschi being your ridiculously skilled/talented sniper/playmaker.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
IF Baertschi lives up to his potential and hype, does anyone else see a potential line of Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian being similar to the old WCE line of Naslund-Morrison-Bertuzzi? Kassian being your big enigmatic gritty Power Forward winger, Horvat being your excellent two-way center that can also contribute offensively, and Baertschi being your ridiculously skilled/talented sniper/playmaker.

Thought of this the other day. Has all the makings to be a great line.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
By the way - Baertschi, Horvat, and Kassian are already my three favorite players on the Canucks (and yes, Baertschi isn't technically a part of the Canucks yet).

I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here, but I really look forward to seeing these 3 guys play together one day.

Even at present day, I'd try Horvat and Kassian together. Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata on line one, Higgins-Bonino-Burrows on line 3, and Matthias-Horvat-Kassian as your 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad