Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAL] Canucks to acquire Lindholm (CAL) for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st 2024, & Conditional 4th 2024

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
So, when we got Zadaorov everybody was totally onboard...what a great deal! Now he is on the trading block. How will we feel about this deal when the season ends, the Canucks do not win the Cup, Lindholm signs elsewhere and Kuzmenko scores 15 - 20 goals the remainder of the season? (Not to mention, Hunter turns out to be a quality player)
I'll feel f***ing GREAT. We have a great team, and tried to make it better so we could give this team a better shot at winning a cup.

There are no guarantees in life, but you gotta shoot your shot when you have it.

I'd be delighted if Kuz bounces back. He wasn't working here, so why would anyone be upset if he rebounds?

By all accounts he's a great teammate, I wish him well.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Elias Lindholm was by far the best trade option at the TDL. He can play second line center; kills penalties; and is 56 percent in the faceoff dot. Until this season he was close to a PPG player.

More importantly, he's in the Selke conversation every year as one of the top defensive forwards in the NHL. Just Tocchet's kind of player.

Obviously if he turns out to be just a three month rental, then he comes to the Canucks at a high price. But when you have a chance to 'go for it' you push all your chips into the middle of the table. The hangover and laments come later.

I could never understand the rumor mill having guys like Guentzel or Monahan coming to the Canucks. They're really not what the Canucks needed. And I don't think Allvin is done.

The Canucks have been linked to Jordan Greenaway, a bruising forward that you need in a grinding playoff series. And more depth on the blueline is another need.

It's going to be a wild ride the rest of the way!
I think Guentzel is a need, we still have a gap in the Miller, Boeser line and players of that quality matter in playoff series.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
maximum CHAOS!!!!!!!
Chaos_Gods.jpg
If he can I trade him instantly and find a replacement with a lower cap him and used the first as part of a package for a better RHD.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
So, its pretty much confirmed that the future lineup will start with
Jt. MIller / Boeser on a line (big surprise)
Pettersson / Lindholm on a line

3rd line likely wont be touched. SO, who plays on the wings?
Based on how much Rick seems to like Suter, i suspect Suter with Jt. Miller and Mikheyev with Lindholm.

Suter. Miller. Boeser // Petey.Lindholm.Mik

what do you guys think of these?
It’s missing Guentzel on the Miller/Boeser line.

2025 first, Raty, EP2 would be palatable for this guy

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'll feel f***ing GREAT. We have a great team, and tried to make it better so we could give this team a better shot at winning a cup.

There are no guarantees in life, but you gotta shoot your shot when you have it.

I'd be delighted if Kuz bounces back. He wasn't working here, so why would anyone be upset if he rebounds?

By all accounts he's a great teammate, I wish him well.
Serious Question: Will people really feel great in the situation you were responding to if the Canucks spend three or four years being a low end bubble team and shooting the works doesn't result in a Cup?

I'm not the usual Vancouver fan here. My then home town team won four Cups as a kid in the 1960's. I just like having a good team and feeling the team has a chance to win every night. In general I'm someone for whom the pain of losing is greater than the joy of winning, but understand that others feel differently.

Reactions: Flik

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So, when we got Zadaorov everybody was totally onboard...what a great deal! Now he is on the trading block. How will we feel about this deal when the season ends, the Canucks do not win the Cup, Lindholm signs elsewhere and Kuzmenko scores 15 - 20 goals the remainder of the season? (Not to mention, Hunter turns out to be a quality player)
Then finally posters here will realize what a debacle it was to squander a 5th round pick on Lafferty.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So, you mean when everything that could possibly be argued against the canucks winning these deals comes true? :laugh:

Be happy they filled two important needs, a monster physical defenseman and the best two way centre on the trade block, both of whom give them a significantly better chance of winning now.

If they don't win the cup (still a long shot), at least they did their best to make it happen. I wonder how many people aren't successful because they never tried for fear of things going wrong...

And, if Kuzmenko goes on a scoring binge, I will be the first to be cheering for him. He's a great guy that lost his confidence and couldn't play within a team system that was clearly winning. I would love nothing more for him than to return to the scoring sensation he was last year.

Last edited:

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
I love the posters who think you wait for this, that, and the other thing before going all in. It isn’t management who signals it is time, it is the players. Teams that jell at the right time, have the right coach, and play as a team are f***ing rare - if you don’t see that, you’ve not been watching for the last decade. The players sent the signal, and management reacted (thankfully). No guarantees but like the poster above said, you have to take your shot sometimes.

Of course management tried to fill the gaps as best they could in the off-season but they had no proof it would work, and when they got it they took it further. The other posters would wait forever, or decide they’re ready on group of players that isn‘t.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I love the posters who think you wait for this, that, and the other thing before going all in. It isn’t management who signals it is time, it is the players. Teams that jell at the right time, have the right coach, and play as a team are f***ing rare - if you don’t see that, you’ve not been watching for the last decade. The players sent the signal, and management reacted (thankfully). No guarantees but like the poster above said, you have to take your shot sometimes.

Of course management tried to fill the gaps as best they could in the off-season but they had no proof it would work, and when they got it they took it further. The other posters would wait forever, or decide they’re ready on group of players that isn‘t.
yes because we should wait for a year when we don't have 5 all stars 10 free agents coaching that has everybody buying in are in first place and healthy to make a serious run at a cup.

Last edited:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I am happy Kuzemnko is gone. HIs contract was bad. HIs numbers were based on his line mates and not his ability

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
So, you mean when everything that could possibly be argued against the canucks winning these deals comes true? :laugh:

Be happy they filled two important needs, a monster physical defenseman and the best two way centre on the trade block, both of whom give them a significantly better chance of winning now.

If they don't win the cup (still a long shot), at least they did their best to make it happen. I wonder how many people aren't successful because they never tried for fear of things going wrong...

And, if Kuzmenko goes on a scoring binge, I will be the first to be cheering for him. He's a great guy that lost his confidence and couldn't play within a team system that was clearly winning. I would love nothing more for him than to return to the scoring sensation he was last year.
And both of those players are not signed after this season and both could walk or be priced out. Lindholm basically takes Kuz's place on the top 2 lines. You would be fine if we had neither of them next season?

Reactions: Indiana

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Yech. Way to much for a rental. We should not sell all of our future ... there will be other years.
Been a fan since the late 80’s, lived through 94 and a post away from OT and of course 2011. In my 40’s now and just watched a decade disappear in a blink with a team that was absolute shit 💩. I had tickets to game 7 in 2011 and couldn’t make it (work) so my mother in law joined my wife and middle child for the game and I watched it in a hotel in Fort St John. I want to make the game this time, and I know I’m a blink away from my mid 50’s and anouther lost decade. You can’t ensure a win, you can only stack the statistics in your favour and hope for the best. I think our biggest need is a #3 RHD and Andersson from Calgary is the guy I want (talent and contract) but he ain’t coming. So the next best thing is to be a team that can’t be shut down and ride or die with a forward group that is a buzz saw.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Understandably everybody focuses on the players and prospect changing teams. But an underrated aspect of this deal is that it actually opens up some cap space. Canucks now have more than $2m available to them to continue building at the TDL.

And of course if Lindholm ends up leaving as a UFA, then they have an additional $5m in cap space available since they're out from under the second year of Kuzmenko's $5m cap hit.

Cap space is king in the NHL, and so too is flexibility.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
And both of those players are not signed after this season and both could walk or be priced out. Lindholm basically takes Kuz's place on the top 2 lines. You would be fine if we had neither of them next season?
I would be absolutely fine if they both walked. The team is firmly in their window now. Their core of Hughes/Pettersson/Demko/Miller/Boeser (you know, the guys at the allstar game) are squarely in their prime. The coach has them playing a system that is geared towards winning in the playoffs. Opportunities like this window open up once a decade, if that. It is management's job to fill any gaps to give them a greater chance to win now.

In any given season it is never likely that a team will win the cup. But it is guaranteed that they won't if they don't try when the window is clearly open.

If they lose Lindholm and Zadorov in the offseason, I am confident that this management, based on their track record, will deploy the roughly $10M cap space to other assets that will give them an even better chance to win. I think this is what is missed by a lot of posters. They don't lose players as UFAs without acquiring other assets with the freed cap space because they think it's a better option.

And, if you think Lindholm/Kuzmenko exchange is a wash in terms of the player and the team's ability to win, then I'm not sure what to say.

Last edited:

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Loser mentality

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am happy Kuzemnko is gone. HIs contract was bad. HIs numbers were based on his line mates and not his ability
I was a big fan and feel a little duped by his potential.

it's hard to say when the league starts to figure you out and the player starts to learn more how that's gonna go but even as a ardent optimist for Kuzmenko who wanted to wait it was getting worse and harder to believe he could ever be playing more than 10-12 of sheltered minutes here.

Always risk in every trade but clearing 5.5 million in cap that would likely be on the bench this spring and then subsequently impossible to move without assets going the other way this summer you have to give props for taking initiative and getting in front of a possibly expensive headache and disruptive team situation.

Almost certainly would do better with 5.5 in cap space this summer given that we have become a contender and that is value back in the trade which is important to remember

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad