Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAL] Canucks to acquire Lindholm (CAL) for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st 2024, & Conditional 4th 2024

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
First game as a Canuck and Lindholm is out there coasting like it's the All Star Game, what a terrible trade.
ohhhh noooooo

1706994370513.png

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I was a big fan and feel a little duped by his potential.

it's hard to say when the league starts to figure you out and the player starts to learn more how that's gonna go but even as a ardent optimist for Kuzmenko who wanted to wait it was getting worse and harder to believe he could ever be playing more than 10-12 of sheltered minutes here.

Always risk in every trade but clearing 5.5 million in cap that would likely be on the bench this spring and then subsequently impossible to move without assets going the other way this summer you have to give props for taking initiative and getting in front of a possibly expensive headache and disruptive team situation.

Almost certainly would do better with 5.5 in cap space this summer given that we have become a contender and that is value back in the trade which is important to remember
cap space is gold

First game as a Canuck and Lindholm is out there coasting like it's the All Star Game, what a terrible trade.
lol

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Serious Question: Will people really feel great in the situation you were responding to if the Canucks spend three or four years being a low end bubble team and shooting the works doesn't result in a Cup?

I'm not the usual Vancouver fan here. My then home town team won four Cups as a kid in the 1960's. I just like having a good team and feeling the team has a chance to win every night. In general I'm someone for whom the pain of losing is greater than the joy of winning, but understand that others feel differently.
If I had to wager a guess, yes a portion of the fanbase would feel great if we took our shot. To your second point, I don't think folks would be thrilled if we end up spending 3 or 4 years as a low end bubble team, but I also don't think that the trades we've made automatically mean that's where we're headed. It's a possibility sure, but almost everything would have to go wrong for us.

I'm remaining optimistic here, because we've given up some minimal assets to bolster this current roster, and I think our future is still pretty bright.

I think everyone would prefer a sustained winning team vs a one and done flame out.

For the record, I don't think we've gone "all in" this season, we've still got a few prospects in the pipeline that can and should have an impact for us and help us keep our window open for a few years.

However, given the play of the current roster I feel management had to show the team we want to win and make some trades to shore up some weaknesses. It would be disrespectful and dare I say, irresponsible to not do so.

Now, it's up to management to ensure we can sign our core players to reasonable deals, and shore up our depth with prospects and astute FA signings + trades.

I feel like they've done a great job of the latter, and they will be tested on the former in the next off season.

I, for one am utterly thrilled that these are the types of conversations we're having on these boards now vs the utter hopelessness we were facing in the Benning Era. Things are looking good for the Canucks, we're facing different tests now; we're a strong team, how do we remain one, and sustain our winning ways?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Serious Question: Will people really feel great in the situation you were responding to if the Canucks spend three or four years being a low end bubble team and shooting the works doesn't result in a Cup?

I'm not the usual Vancouver fan here. My then home town team won four Cups as a kid in the 1960's. I just like having a good team and feeling the team has a chance to win every night. In general I'm someone for whom the pain of losing is greater than the joy of winning, but understand that others feel differently.

Easily yes. It’s much easier to kind of let go on the years we are heavy penalized with OEL, put all our eggs in this basket. This year just the way it presents is the best chance at a Cup in the foreseeable future.

Our situation in my mind is kind of like being shot out of a cannon before you had your chinstrap on your helmet done up. Or when an outgoing President has signed a bill that the incoming president doesn’t approve of. It’s not ideal, but it’s already happened so you might as well just commit and see it through even if you wouldn’t like to have timed it that way.

Reactions: Indiana

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Easily yes. It’s much easier to kind of let go on the years we are heavy penalized with OEL, put all our eggs in this basket. This year just the way it presents is the best chance at a Cup in the foreseeable future.

Our situation in my mind is kind of like being shot out of a cannon before you had your chinstrap on your helmet done up. Or when an outgoing President has signed a bill that the incoming president doesn’t approve of. It’s not ideal, but it’s already happened so you might as well just commit and see it through even if you wouldn’t like to have timed it that way.
LOL @ people who think it’s a one year window.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
yes because we should wait for a year when we don't have 5 all stars 10 free agents coaching that has everybody buying in are in first place and healthy to make a serious run at a cup.
Agree push some chips in. That said the wizards racing around the boards chanting about it being a one year window need a helmet and a handler.

• Haha
Reactions: andora and sting101

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Cap space?
the other factor that seems to be beyond many's comprehension ... if cap was not an issue, we could probably get Guentzel, sign him long term, and re-sign EP, Hronek, Zadorov and Lindholm, and be a powerhouse for 5 years .... in which case screw our prospect pool and draft picks. Sadly, in this world we are going to be in a world of hurt next year. We have expended a bunch of picks and prospects for a 1 shot at the cup, and maybe only able to sign 1 or 2 of the above. At this point I almost hope they trade Petey at the draft next year if he won't sign a reasonable contract.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
the other factor that seems to be beyond many's comprehension ... if cap was not an issue, we could probably get Guentzel, sign him long term, and re-sign EP, Hronek, Zadorov and Lindholm, and be a powerhouse for 5 years .... in which case screw our prospect pool and draft picks. Sadly, in this world we are going to be in a world of hurt next year. We have expended a bunch of picks and prospects for a 1 shot at the cup, and maybe only able to sign 1 or 2 of the above. At this point I almost hope they trade Petey at the draft next year if he won't sign a reasonable contract.
I mean, I personally totally get the cap space thing. I am an accountant by profession. Zadorov will be cost too much to be a third pair D. We can totally make Lindholm work if we don’t pay Hronek and Pettersson absolute top dollar. Some of the depth that everyone seems to want to sign for millions will need to be replaced with cheaper options (much like what happened this year) and Guentzel is all but gone, unless you trade Hronek or everyone signs a sweetheart deal. It needs to be managed risk.

One option is to trade Pettersson for a haul of young players and draft picks at the end of the season. If he wants $13m, I’m not sure that you can win and you are probably better off having two premium forwards instead. That top end really does come at a cost and I’m not sure it’s good value on a comparative basis. As for Guentzel, they would have to retain 50% and we are on the cusp of having enough cap space to make that work now, that is without LTIR for Soucey. In the event that they need to make cap space, it has to be Myers and you can play Jusslen and replacement level player for that additional spot (or better).

Let’s see how good this management team really is.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
There's a handful of posters who expect a big drop off next season. "Nowhere close" to this years results is a quote. @PuckMunchkin
They just cleared 5.5M off the books for next year and have a lot of free agents which gives them even more flexibility this summer. Just guessing who will be on this roster next season, let alone trying to project how they’ll perform is pretty difficult.

IMG_7257.jpeg

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's a handful of posters who expect a big drop off next season. "Nowhere close" to this years results is a quote. @PuckMunchkin

I presume most people agree.

To be fair to both of you. I think it's WAY too early to tell what next year is going to be like. I don't know how anyone could say anything with any amount of certainty given the massive question marks around nearly every aspect of the roster. Could be a big drop off, could hold still, could be a slight regression, etc.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
To be fair to both of you. I think it's WAY too early to tell what next year is going to be like. I don't know how anyone could say anything with any amount of certainty given the massive question marks around nearly every aspect of the roster. Could be a big drop off, could hold still, could be a slight regression, etc.
- PDO. I know its a curse word here, but its a real thing.
- Massive raises to key players.
- OEL cap penalty
- Career years for Miller, Boeser, Lafferty, Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, Joshua, Suter, Garland, Zadorov, DeSmith, Myers...

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
- OEL cap penalty
- Career years for Miller, Boeser, Lafferty, Hughes, Demko, Pettersson, Joshua, Suter, Garland, Zadorov, DeSmith, Myers...

OEL cap penalty is 2.35m. It’s not some boogyman you can scare me with. The two subsequent years are the big ones. Next year is a pretty minor annoyance.

Over 40m and open roster spots throughout the entire line-up. That’s the only thing we know for certain right now.

Also, this isn’t a career year for the last 5 players you listed. It’s also Joshua’s 2nd year in the league and Lafferty was tracking identically last season. You said the same thing about Miller two seasons ago…

Of course I think there will be some regression but where it will come from and what the roster look like? I have no idea.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
- OEL cap penalty
I agree that they won't have the same success as this year. All the more reason why going all-in for this playoff run makes sense. That said, I don't anticipate a huge drop off because the baseline for this team is solid team defense, which is less volatile than offensive output. Provided they can keep their structure, they'll be in the mix.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
- OEL cap penalty
I'd be shocked if the Canucks weren't worse next year, but it will be because of the last two lines and not at all because of "PDO". The Canucks are generated a boatload of surplus value from the contracts they have. They won't be able to keep all of Lafferty, Joshua, Zadorov, and DeSmith, so the players they sign to fill out the rest of the roster will be crucial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad