Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAL] Canucks to acquire Lindholm (CAL) for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 1st 2024, & Conditional 4th 2024

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Maybe it's just their YouTube segments where they look like a couple of hostages in the basement with no a/v equipment and $20 Chatroulette webcams. Can barely listen sometimes because the levels are so off on the mics sounds like one is whispering and the other has this booming mic val.

Dayal sometimes has to podcast from a hotel room due to travel and they took this week off and did an emergency podcast from their homes.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hunter is as CHL prospect no chance he could pull off a Fox
I think if he doesn't sign then he just goes back into the draft in a couple of years, so yeah it's not really worth it for a CHL guy. Better to just sign your ELC and then request a trade down the line if you don't want to play in the city you got drafted in.

Reactions: canuckking1

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
the games I watched lindholm and monahan over the years and this year, pretty similar player.

Forwards that can't drive offense on a good top 6 line. Both are forwards that kinda depend on their linemates to generate and they find soft spots on the ice to finish.

Monahan a little bigger and more net front, lindholm maybe slightly better playmaker. Both pretty responsible defensively but are not elite defensive forwards.

Both aren't soft but also aren't really physical. Career p/pg are similar .68- .7. Hell even their faceoff percentage are like the same at 55% this year.

The main difference is that Monahan had a pretty significant injury, but his play this year is on par with Lindholm.

Reactions: Indiana

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
the games I watched lindholm and monahan over the years and this year, pretty similar player.

Forwards that can't drive offense on a good top 6 line. Both are forwards that kinda depend on their linemates to generate and they find soft spots on the ice to finish.

Monahan a little bigger and more net front, lindholm maybe slightly better playmaker. Both pretty responsible defensively but are not elite defensive forwards.

Both aren't soft but also aren't really physical. Career p/pg are similar .68- .7. Hell even their faceoff percentage are like the same at 55% this year.

The main difference is that Monahan had a pretty significant injury, but his play this year is on par with Lindholm.
Offensively, I agree there isn't a big difference, but I still prefer Lindholm slightly.

Flames fans all say that Lindholm is a few tiers above Monahan defensively. He's considered to be arguably their best defensive forward, and best forward PK'er. He finished 2nd in selke voting a couple of years ago, has Monahan ever even received a vote?

Also a righty center vs a lefty center is a pretty big deal for this team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seeing Sean Monahan go for a first makes me feel a lot better about what we paid for Elias Lindholm

Glad we got our guy
In true Rutherford fashion, we took the initiative, and got the jump on everyone else..This would set the dominoes falling elsewhere.

In the Jets/Habs deal, a late 1st seems par for the course for an impact rental.

Canucks get Lindholm, Jets get Monahan, Oilers get 38 year old Perry.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Offensively, I agree there isn't a big difference, but I still prefer Lindholm slightly.

Flames fans all say that Lindholm is a few tiers above Monahan defensively. He's considered to be arguably their best defensive forward, and best forward PK'er. He finished 2nd in selke voting a couple of years ago, has Monahan ever even received a vote?

Also a righty center vs a lefty center is a pretty big deal for this team.

Lindholm is also a much better puck retriever

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That Lindholm interview - he's going to get along well with Petey as they're both cut from the same wooden cloth.

When he spoke to the panel at the all star game (Bieksa, Friedman, Botterill, etc) I thought he came across as pretty personable. Smiles and long answers not that cold, I'm annoyed by this Pettersson vibe.

• Love

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What was third round pick Hunters problem with the Canucks?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

One has a functional set of hips and one does not.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Really, they aren't similar players at all. The only thing they have in common is that they both played for the Calgary Flames.

Monahan is mostly a center, pure and simple. While Lindholm is equally proficient at either center or wing, making him a far more valuable player. Both guys are decent in faceoff dot, although Lindholm has a higher career average, and is a far superior penalty killer.

Contrary to you assertion, Lindholm 'is' an elite defensive forward. In fact prior to this year, he was perennially in the conversation for the Frank Selke Award. His 200-goot game is one of the big reasons the Canucks acquired him.

You have to hand it to the Habs though.....they got first rounders 'coming and going' for Monahan. The Flames expended a first rounder to unload him; and the Jets coughed up one to acquire him.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
A few tidbits in another Athletic article (Apple News link, paywalled) with quotes from Conroy about why they made the trade:

In particular, Conroy was enamoured with Brzustewicz’s skill set: A right-shot defenceman with “real high hockey sense” putting up points in the Ontario Hockey League. Jurmo has been praised for his skating ability, but Conroy envisions him as a shutdown defenceman.“To add a couple of those young prospects into your mix, I think (is) what was important for us, especially where we’re going,” Conroy said. “We haven’t drafted a lot of D over the years.”
...​
At 22-22-5, the Flames are five points out of a playoff spot. Kuzmenko, who scored 39 goals for Vancouver last season but has struggled in 2023-24, should get a prime offensive assignment.​
“We got to see him a lot last year when he was in Vancouver, and we’ve seen him this year,” Conroy said. “Whether it’s in the shootout against us or the goals he scored, his skill set, what he brings on the power play and in the offensive zone and his shot are attractive.”​
Conroy is delusional about Jurmo unless "shutdown" is referring to "shutting down the hopes of fans that Jurmo will be an NHL player".​

Thomas Drance does Canucks Hour with top of the line portable telecommunications equipment from Rogers while traveling and even he has problems all the time.
Good for Drance and his listeners. When I was listening to the VanCast, sometimes Drance sounded like he was calling in from a public toilet stall.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Good for Drance and his listeners. When I was listening to the VanCast, sometimes Drance sounded like he was calling in from a public toilet stall.

My favorite (sarcasm) was one episode he sounded like he was recording in a diner kitchen. Plates slamming around, water, chef yelling "order up!" Ding!

Second thought maybe he just pissed off his wife that week.

• Haha

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
So, when we got Zadaorov everybody was totally onboard...what a great deal! Now he is on the trading block. How will we feel about this deal when the season ends, the Canucks do not win the Cup, Lindholm signs elsewhere and Kuzmenko scores 15 - 20 goals the remainder of the season? (Not to mention, Hunter turns out to be a quality player)

• Wow
Reactions: Play

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0147.jpeg

Lindy having some pops with the fellas

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So, when we got Zadaorov everybody was totally onboard...what a great deal! Now he is on the trading block. How will we feel about this deal when the season ends, the Canucks do not win the Cup, Lindholm signs elsewhere and Kuzmenko scores 15 - 20 goals the remainder of the season? (Not to mention, Hunter turns out to be a quality player)
He isn’t on the trading block. How will we feel when the Canucks win the Cup, Lindholm re-signs, and Kuzmenko scores 10 goals next year and is back in Russia after next year (Not to mention, Hunter turns out to be a bust)

Hyperboles are fun, I can see why you did it now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad