Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BOS] Canucks acquire F Jack Studnicka for G Mikey DiPietro, D Jonathan Myrenberg

cc

Feb 28, 2002
This is a Benning-like move. Moving a younger prospect for someone who was further along in his development

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Seems like another short term thinking trade and probably another indication of how poor the organization has been and maybe still is.

Myrenburg was lauded at camp and seen as having real potential. Boston obviously thinks the same and are willing to wait.

Studnika has been given every opportunity to prove himself but hasn't panned out at the NHL level so Boston unloads him for some futures. I guess a short term replacement for Lazar and probably if Lazar s doesn't get hurt we don't make the trade. Might as well have kept Highmore and juggled the 4th line.

DePietro horribly developed b/c like we need him to sit around right now in case we need him. Kept him on the taxi squad for some bizarre reason rather than allowing him e to develop in the minors.

Looks to be that team is still in patchover mode rather than getting on with the needed rebuild or whatever you want to call it.

Buzzards will soon be descending on the Canucks to take away any future the team has and pass on other failed players.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Scouting report from @PlayMakers

He's big, fast, not afraid of contact, good defensively, good shorthanded, was a prolific AHL player, led the league in shorthanded goals. He's smart, he makes clever passes, he can play center and right wing, but he's also light and gets knocked off the puck easily.

He never got confident at the NHL level, he also never really got a stretch in the NHL where he could get adjust and get comfortable.

IMO, the Bruins botched his development. The Bruins, under Sweeney, have maintained that a rookie has to beat out a veteran to get a spot in the lineup. And since Sweeney keeps signing free agents it's really effin hard to beat one out. If you're an 'offensive' guy then you have to beat out a top9 guy.

Last summer they told him to add some strength and be prepared to have a good camp. He spent the summer in the gym, added 10lbs, had a great camp... and was sent down because the Bruins had no NHL roster spots, they would have had to waive someone to keep him up.

He absolutely can be a 3c and after his big season in Providence it looked like he could be a 2c but his development stalled here.

Thank you play!

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hopefully Studnicka can play a 3rd/4th line PK role effectively for the team this season. It would really hope our C depth to have 5 guys who can potential play C if Injuries come.

Now if only our Dman could not get injuried by picking their noses

Reactions: mossey3535

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Now we get to watch Myrenberg develop into a Forsling on the Bruins

Scores the 2031 Stanley Cup game winner against us
The Canucks make it to the finals again? I like your optimism!

• Haha
Reactions: quat

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Honestly, this organization can't trade any defence prospects at any stage of development because there are so few of them to begin with.

However, the next worse area we have is Center. So I get it.

I think if the so-called "retool" is going to work, they're going to have to luck out on some late picks blossoming relatively quickly. That could have included this guy. I would rather gamble on defence prospects that we have in hand than gamble on forwards as a general philosphy.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This type of trade gives me PTSD from the Benning era but at least getting a usable RH Center who could PK would be a win at this point.
I hate to give up RHD depth when we have so little of it thanks to Benning making trades like this. Saying that, Myrenberg is a long term long shot who is replaceable in the prospect pool but once in awhile guys like him become decent NHLers.
DiPietro is a failed prospect, I don’t see an NHL future for him but he deserves a shot with another organization even if it’s just as a depth guy.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
giving up a very young prospect who is progressing with upside potential is not a conventional deck shuffle hockey trade. i am sure that is what the bruins went for.

this trade i think was done out of perceived necessity.

Reactions: m9

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah Bo is i
Honestly, this organization can't trade any defence prospects at any stage of development because there are so few of them to begin with.

However, the next worse area we have is Center. So I get it.

I think if the so-called "retool" is going to work, they're going to have to luck out on some late picks blossoming relatively quickly. That could have included this guy. I would rather gamble on defence prospects that we have in hand than gamble on forwards as a general philosphy.
I think the plan is to trade Bo, Pearson, Garland so now we have at least a center to cover for Bo.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
we traded for a younger defender prosepect for an older center prospect. meh, This is the type of shot in the dark trades they needr . Hope they are right

Seems like we got our "guadette" back

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Yeah Bo is i

I think the plan is to trade Bo, Pearson, Garland so now we have at least a center to cover for Bo.
More likely Studnicka will find himself playing on the top line RW next game, Miller will shift back to C and Horvat will be on the third line. Cuz Canucks doing Canucks things.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't mind taking a stab at Jack but losing Myrenberg sucks. This feels a bit like shades of the Forsling trade.

I like Dipietro and still believe in him, but trading him seemed him like a foregone conclusion and he isn't worth much so whatever.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I don't mind taking a stab at Jack but losing Myrenberg sucks. This feels a bit like shades of the Forsling trade.

I like Dipietro and still believe in him, but trading him seemed him like a foregone conclusion and he isn't worth much so whatever.
Trading any Dmen when you have almost zero in the system is a bad idea. Why not give them McDonough instead seeing as he won't be signing with us.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Studnicka is a right shot center so this is strictly to replace Lazar. Horvat isn't going anywhere until trade deadline day unless the team goes on a 3 game winning streak then he's automatically re-signed to 8 years $53 million+

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad