Confirmed with Link: [VAN/BOS] Canucks acquire F Jack Studnicka for G Mikey DiPietro, D Jonathan Myrenberg

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Seems like another short term thinking trade and probably another indication of how poor the organization has been and maybe still is.

Myrenburg was lauded at camp and seen as having real potential. Boston obviously thinks the same and are willing to wait.

Studnika has been given every opportunity to prove himself but hasn't panned out at the NHL level so Boston unloads him for some futures. I guess a short term replacement for Lazar and probably if Lazar s doesn't get hurt we don't make the trade. Might as well have kept Highmore and juggled the 4th line.

DePietro horribly developed b/c like we need him to sit around right now in case we need him. Kept him on the taxi squad for some bizarre reason rather than allowing him e to develop in the minors.

Looks to be that team is still in patchover mode rather than getting on with the needed rebuild or whatever you want to call it.

Buzzards will soon be descending on the Canucks to take away any future the team has and pass on other failed players.
Totally agree. I actually have family in Mora and have seen Myrenberg live. Always their best defenceman from my viewings and it’s absolutely insane that he isn’t in the SEL. This one may bite us down the road

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Trading any Dmen when you have almost zero in the system is a bad idea. Why not give them McDonough instead seeing as he won't be signing with us.

Giving them McDonough would be a terrible trade unless they are absolutely sure they can't sign him.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just one added note that the Bruins have been letting PJ Axelsson weigh in pretty heavily on the European players and he was really high on Myrenburg.

As far as Studnicka, Bruins are in a win NOW this year mode and couldn't let him develop or send him down. He wasn't going to beat out Bergeron, Krejci or Coyle and isn't a 4th line C. I have always liked his game since the Generals but if this was a team without Krejci and Bergeron coming back to bail them out, Studnicka is 2nd line C.

Sees the game well, moves well but needs the opportunity to play the NHL game and see the speed while making developmental mistakes. Bruce is the perfect positive coach for him and I really think he will do well on the 3rd line.

Cheers

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Feel in this day and age, we should be holding on to every RHD lottery ticket that is still showing potential.

Good to hear the positive words from Bruin fans, and at least he's a center. Be nice to actually hit on this kind of trade for once.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This deal isn't getting rave reviews on the main Board. Myrenberg might have been the Canucks best looking prospect d-man at Development Camp. And obviously the Bruin scouts have been monitoring him in Sweden. He's big (6'2" and 200) and a right-hand shot. Obviously DiPietro was a throw-in.

Studnicka was a decent scorer in his first couple of seasons in the AHL; but appears to have stagnated in the last couple of seasons. I guess we'll see how he does in Abbotsford. I suppose on a positive note, at least the Canucks weren't forced to throw a draft pick on to the pile--which is something Benning would probably have done.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I was under the impression Myrenberg wasnt "nothing."

I have NO idea how he is as a player, just that he was still an actual prospect.

Reactions: tyhee

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A few years back Studnicka was the Bruins top-rated prospect after 23 goals and 46 points in his first full year in AHL Providence. But after that, he just seemed to go into freefall.

According to the Bruins site, he was on the main Bruin roster but would need to clear waivers to be sent back down. And they obviously felt there was a good chance he wouldn't clear. So it looks like over the short term, he'll fill in for the parent Canucks until at least Curtis Lazar returns from injury.

I worry a bit about Myrenberg. He's had a growth spurt and his now 6'3 and a valuable right shot d-man. And he's have a strong season as a 19-year old in Sweden. But I guess you have to take a risk to get something in return.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This deal isn't getting rave reviews on the main Board. Myrenberg might have been the Canucks best looking prospect d-man at Development Camp. And obviously the Bruin scouts have been monitoring him in Sweden. He's big (6'2" and 200) and a right-hand shot. Obviously DiPietro was a throw-in.

Studnicka was a decent scorer in his first couple of seasons in the AHL; but appears to have stagnated in the last couple of seasons. I guess we'll see how he does in Abbotsford. I suppose on a positive note, at least the Canucks weren't forced to throw a draft pick on to the pile--which is something Benning would probably have done.
I don't think he'll be going to Abby because he'll have to clear waivers and he'd likely be claimed. I'm betting he'll be given the 3rd line role until Lazar comes back, then they'll decide what to do between him and Aman...betting they likely send Aman down rather than expose Studnicka to waivers.

Reactions: GrogZilla

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't understand the Forsling comparable. Forsling looked very impressive and like a pretty good shot to become an NHLer when he got traded, IMO. It was actually a bad trade that people winced over, not just in hindsight.

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
A lot of people on social media are criticizing the team for trading away Myrenberg, who is supposedly our best right-hand shooting D prospect. And of course that's understandable because the state of our D has us all traumatized. But as others have said, the fact that guy is our top prospect at D is all you need to know about the sad state of the franchise and its ability to develop players. He could have the talent to become a top 4 D, but the fact is he won't get there here, our current player development staff is just plain bad. Here he is stuck being a fringe defenseman who likely never sees the NHL. At least this gives him a chance and gives us a player that is more likely to have NHL ice time.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
More age gap garbage from this organization. Trade away the only RHD prospect in the organization with any potential for an older lumbering player who has regressed. Would like to be proven wrong but these types of deals haven't worked for us for the past decade.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

As far as Studnicka, Bruins are in a win NOW this year mode and couldn't let him develop or send him down. He wasn't going to beat out Bergeron, Krejci or Coyle and isn't a 4th line C. I have always liked his game since the Generals but if this was a team without Krejci and Bergeron coming back to bail them out, Studnicka is 2nd line C.

Sees the game well, moves well but needs the opportunity to play the NHL game and see the speed while making developmental mistakes. Bruce is the perfect positive coach for him and I really think he will do well on the 3rd line.
Could you please expand on what you mean that he isn't suited for a 4th line C role but he is for a 3C role? Because IMHO, a 4C is just a 3C but with less puck skills/offense and that a 3C on a deep team could easily slot into a 4C role if needed.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Could you please expand on what you mean that he isn't suited for a 4th line C role but he is for a 3C role? Because IMHO, a 4C is just a 3C but with less puck skills/offense and that a 3C on a deep team could easily slot into a 4C role if needed.

he means he's bad defensively

i like picking up studnicka. there's a chance he's a player. i think giving up myrenberg was too steep a price though. myrenberg is exactly the kind of prospect the canucks lack. high ceiling low probability. would have rather seen a pick move in the deal

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
More age gap garbage from this organization. Trade away the only RHD prospect in the organization with any potential for an older lumbering player who has regressed. Would like to be proven wrong but these types of deals haven't worked for us for the past decade.

Filip Johnson I would say has the most potential of any Canucks right handed prospects. And it appears he is the only one with any real chance of making the big Club . We still have Jett Woo and I’m not ready to write him off . I still think he can be a solid 5-6th defensive defence man . But after that yes we don’t have any blue chip right handed defenseman so Alvin will need to seriously address this in the draft this year

I’m also open to more free agent signings as well as so far it’s worked out quite well with Johnson

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm waiting for someone in Canucks management to say that critics of the trade have to understand that patience is needed.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
can anyone cite examples of teams giving up an unsigned developing prospect for a stalled prospect on the waiver bubble? i feel like this type of trade is very rare. the rule of thumb is you only move developing prospects for premium assets.

i went through the pens extensive trade history and the only example i can find of rutherford moving an unsigned prospect was filip gustovson in the brassard/dunn tdl trade which was a blockbuster. every other player traded had some wilkes-barre games. second closest was kapanen who had 4 ahl games, and that was another blockbuster.

if this was a necessity trade just to get a warm body due to injuries that is surely on management for not stocking the farm enough, and surely they also could have found a warm body off waivers or trading an ahl asset. they passed up kiefer bellows two days ago.

either they really love studnika, or they know something about myrenberg, or this was a desperation move. it's a clear win for the bruins to move a guy who did not fit the line up they were going to have to expose to waivers for a live still improving prospect with size who plays the hardest position to fill in hockey.

Studnicka appears to be fast, MacKinnon fast. So there is that.

maybe that is it. they desperately want speed.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I don't know how to feel about this trade. It just irks me that we have traded a RD that is actually improving and showing some promise, for a faltering C prospect/AHLer because you needed to replace an injured 4C. Something about that thought process for an extremely mediocre team seems "wrong".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad